Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CreedFeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Is anyone else having a problem with iTunes shared libraries? I have my full iTunes library stored on my iMac and when at home I will just use the "Shared" feature within iTunes on my iPhone to listen to music from my iMac. After updating to iOS 6 I have been having major problems with this.

Yesterday I couldn't connect at all to my shared library. Today, after updating iTunes on my iMac to the latest version, I'm able to connect, however it's only showing about 15 artists. I have hundreds of artists in my library.

Any ideas on this?

anatoli

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
I'm seeing similar problems. For me, the progress indicator gets to about 50% then freezes. Maybe they're trying to push everyone towards iTunes Match. This is on both my iPod Touch 4th Gen and iPad 2. It looks to work OK on my iMac connecting to the shared library on my Mac Mini, so it looks to be an iOS 6 problem.

Last edited:

CreedFeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Just to add, it was also stopping at about 50% until I updated iTunes to the latest version on my iMac (where my shared library is). Once I updated, it connected, it just didn't show my full library - it showed maybe 1/10th of my library lol

jr678

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Same problem on iphone4s and 5. . Hard reboot on phone always works to bring all Artists list back up. Weird how it shows every album and song but only 15 artists. Sucks to have to reboot every time. Started a few updates ago.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
There are major problems with home sharing from iTunes.
The Apple forum has a long thread about it but no one from Apple ever visits that forum to help on any subject. I wonder why its there.
Nice support.
Home sharing, among other things, doesn't "just work".
Home sharing library doesn't show up in my iTunes (Windows 7) on two different laptops. (It did for a minute on one then magically disappeared.
My mini will nonetheless pick up my library, even though it doesn't appear listed in iTunes. (More magic)
My iPhone 4 and iPad 2 will not.
The shared library sometimes appears in either device, but won't load. On the phone it appears to be loading and stops when half way is indicated. On the pad the wheel goes round with no effect and when I click on it I get the message that "Home sharing could not be enabled".
Innumerable fixes have been proposed (don't bother suggesting any more), but none of them work for real.
Its a shame. And shameful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.