Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I was on the phone with a guy from Verizon or not and we were going over different scenarios on how I could get the Iphone at a discounted price, even though I am not elgible for an upgrade until June. He went through different websites for me for trade-in's and etc and he said that was all he could think of.

And then he said "It hit me, oh my gosh, you said you had a Verizon Ipad right? Well open up a new line for the iphone 5, and then you can do the 10 dollars a month for the ipad on your existing line. As long as all three lines are tied up it is fine". Is this true? He told me he was 100% on this and that others have done it. If that is the case I am going to pick up my brand new iphone 5 tomorrow!

Also, can I get trade in value for my 4s in store? This guy was trying to talk me into doing it through him, but it sounds like it would be less of a hassle to do it in-store. He said I could do it in-store, but he didn't think any store would have any. What do you all think?

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
My girlfriend is on my line as well. I will be opening a third line I get iPhone and putting iPad on my current line.

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm surprised they would allow this. This is like the loophole with the tiered data plan where you can add a line to get the subsidized price and then put a basic phone on that line and cancel the data plan.

In essence, you will be replacing a $40/month device with a $10/month device. Your bill will only increase $240 over two years, but you are saving $450 on the subsidy.

Do it if you can.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I read on Verizon's site that I can get $230 in store credit for my white 16gb. I know best buy gives 260. I didn't preorder so I don't know whether I should go to best buy or Verizon for opening in the morning.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
YESS!!

Thank you!

I have 5 lines + 3 ipads and it works perfectly. now we have a two year contract of the line for 2 years so... your choice. not really a win if you do early upgrade.

Confirmed by me.

kornberg

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
What is the process to add a tablet to your plan?
Do 4g tablets have meid's or imei like phones do?

Thanks in advance.

*just confirmed, please disregard.

Last edited:

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
This is what I did. The funny thing is I wanted to put the iPad on my plan anyway last month and at the same time I was stressing out thinking I would have to get the 5 unsubsidized. The Verizon rep pointed this out and it made my day. It's one of the rare times when things just work out perfectly.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I did this with AT&T last year for the iPhone 4S. I have an iPad line and that line was eligible to upgrade so I used it to grab the 4S and signed up for a 2 year deal on that line. It's actually up for early upgrade now which I will probably use to cop the 5 next month when my entire family is eligible to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.