Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
tipopilota
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bought iPhone 5 on one line but activate it on another - Verizon

Ok, so I bought the iphone 5 on one line but when I get it, I actually want to activate it on another line. Is this possible to do w/o activating the iphone 5 first on the original line it was ordered under? and if so how is this done?

Thank you
tipopilota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:43 PM   #2
jonfarr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipopilota View Post
Ok, so I bought the iphone 5 on one line but when I get it, I actually want to activate it on another line. Is this possible to do w/o activating the iphone 5 first on the original line it was ordered under? and if so how is this done?

Thank you
Yes, it is. Just take it to your carriers store and tell them what line you want it activated on.
__________________
iMac, Macbook Air, iPhone 6+, riPad mini w/ LTE
jonfarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
jmikey21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
How to Activate iPhone 5 on another line - Verizon Family Plan

HOW TO ACTIVATE IPHONE 5 ON ANOTHER Line

1. Activate the iPhone 5 on the line you ordered it on, by turning the iPhone 5 on and going through the prompts using 3G connection. It failed for me and I called Verizon and they got it activated for me and LTE was working right after since I called in I guess there was no need to dial the 1877 number they included in the directions for LTE activation.


2. Activate the old phone back to the line that you just activated the iPhone 5 on, you do this by calling *228, I had to call Verizon as *228 wasn't working, the Verizon rep had to remove the DATA plan because I had a non-4g phone, then I dialed *228 again while on the line and it was Activated, and the iPhone 5 was Deactivated.

3. Wait until midnight 12:01am, sign into the main account on Verizon.com, now it didn't work for me right after midnight I went to bed and woke up at 7am went online activated it successfully had to wait 15 minutes for programming.

4. Choose Activate Device, Pick the Phone Number you want the iPhone 5 on.

5. Enter the IMEI ID which is located on the back of the iPhone 5 box and also on the invoice.

6. Choose to use an existing SIM card, enter the ICCID located on the back of the box or you can remove the SIM with a paper clip.

7. Done!

Make sure both phones are off after activating online restart the iPhone 5 if u have any issues mine started working after I did a restart.
Now you can also have Verizon ship you a new SIM tied to your number just pop it in and your good to go, or you can go to a Verizon store and get a nano SIM if they have any in stock.

Last edited by jmikey21; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
jmikey21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
aalangari
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
At&t's Iphone 5 - activation on T-mobile

i've bought my new iPhone 5 from eBay and the seller told me that the phone is with at&t but without contract. he also mentioned that he will ship the phone sealed as he received it from apple. the question here, am i going to be able to activate the phone and get it unlocked on my T-mobile SIM card?
please note that i don't have a contract with At&t.

the reason why i placed this order is because i read an article that stated that off-contract At&t iPhone can be easily unlocked via iTunes.

many thanks!
aalangari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:15 PM   #5
jmikey21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
For t-mobile all you have to do is take the phone into a store and they'll give or ship you a nano sim and your good to go once you put it in. I heard u only get 2g speeds is that true?
jmikey21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:15 PM   #6
macMD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Verizon CS told me that I could just activate mine on my primary line like I wanted to do and I just added an iPad LTE (my sister's) to the phone # I got my iPhone on. Expecting this to go smoothly, we will see.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 PM   #7
jfclazzi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikey21 View Post
HOW TO ACTIVATE IPHONE 5 ON ANOTHER Line

1. Activate the iPhone 5 on the line you ordered it on, by turning the iPhone 5 on and going through the prompts using 3G connection. It failed for me and I called Verizon and they got it activated for me and LTE was working right after since I called in I guess there was no need to dial the 1877 number they included in the directions for LTE activation.


2. Activate the old phone back to the line that you just activated the iPhone 5 on, you do this by calling *228, I had to call Verizon as *228 wasn't working, the Verizon rep had to remove the DATA plan because I had a non-4g phone, then I dialed *228 again while on the line and it was Activated, and the iPhone 5 was Deactivated.

3. Wait until midnight 12:01am, sign into the main account on Verizon.com

4. Choose Activate Device, Pick the Phone Number you want the iPhone 5 on.

5. Enter the IMEI ID which is located on the back of the iPhone 5 box and also on the invoice.

6. Choose to use an existing SIM card, enter the ICCID located on the back of the box or you can remove the SIM with a paper clip.

7. Done!

Now you can also have Verizon ship you a new SIM tied to your number just pop it in and your good to go, or you can go to a Verizon store and get a nano SIM if they have any in stock.
Wrong. The important thing is DONT TURN IT ON once you buy it. If you do, the sim will be linked to that number.
So once you buy it, activate it on myverizon on the line you want it on, then turn the iphone on.

So, if you do turn it on before you activate it, you'll have to deactivate the phone by activating the old phone on that line you got the upgrade from. You need to let the sim "age" for 24 hours by leaving it deactivated from the line. After that, the sim will be free to activate on a new line, and you should be good to go.

*228 does not work at all on iPhone 5
jfclazzi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:01 AM   #8
jmikey21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
You have to activate the iPhone on the line you got the discount on, or u risk being charged full price. The above method works perfectly. I didn't say to dial *228 on ur iPhone 5 you do that with the old phone to reactivate it, but like I said I had to call Verizon to get the data plan removed, before dialing *228.

There are obviously a few ways to do this, but I find the above method to be the QUICKEST.
jmikey21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:27 PM   #9
amberleemarie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfclazzi View Post
Wrong. The important thing is DONT TURN IT ON once you buy it. If you do, the sim will be linked to that number.
So once you buy it, activate it on myverizon on the line you want it on, then turn the iphone on.

So, if you do turn it on before you activate it, you'll have to deactivate the phone by activating the old phone on that line you got the upgrade from. You need to let the sim "age" for 24 hours by leaving it deactivated from the line. After that, the sim will be free to activate on a new line, and you should be good to go.

*228 does not work at all on iPhone 5

This is exactly what I heard on numerous posts.
amberleemarie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verizon 5S on my current plan bought online for pickup and activate it as unlocked? kapalua12 iPhone 18 Oct 21, 2013 12:17 AM
Activate a Verizon iPhone 5 with a non-Verizon sim? pickaxe iPhone 17 Feb 5, 2013 09:33 AM
pre-ordered through AT&T for one line, can I activate it to a different line? robdam1001 iPhone 0 Sep 28, 2012 02:01 PM
Buying iPhone on new line on Verizon and using it with my old iPhone line (Verizon) SilentLoner iPhone 1 Sep 27, 2012 07:21 PM
HOW TO: Activate Verizon iPhone on Another Line Riiyah iPhone 0 Sep 21, 2012 09:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC