Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipopilota

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
Ok, so I bought the iphone 5 on one line but when I get it, I actually want to activate it on another line. Is this possible to do w/o activating the iphone 5 first on the original line it was ordered under? and if so how is this done?

Thank you

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Ok, so I bought the iphone 5 on one line but when I get it, I actually want to activate it on another line. Is this possible to do w/o activating the iphone 5 first on the original line it was ordered under? and if so how is this done?

Thank you

Yes, it is. Just take it to your carriers store and tell them what line you want it activated on.

jmikey21

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
How to Activate iPhone 5 on another line - Verizon Family Plan

HOW TO ACTIVATE IPHONE 5 ON ANOTHER Line

1. Activate the iPhone 5 on the line you ordered it on, by turning the iPhone 5 on and going through the prompts using 3G connection. It failed for me and I called Verizon and they got it activated for me and LTE was working right after since I called in I guess there was no need to dial the 1877 number they included in the directions for LTE activation.

2. Activate the old phone back to the line that you just activated the iPhone 5 on, you do this by calling *228, I had to call Verizon as *228 wasn't working, the Verizon rep had to remove the DATA plan because I had a non-4g phone, then I dialed *228 again while on the line and it was Activated, and the iPhone 5 was Deactivated.

3. Wait until midnight 12:01am, sign into the main account on Verizon.com, now it didn't work for me right after midnight I went to bed and woke up at 7am went online activated it successfully had to wait 15 minutes for programming.

4. Choose Activate Device, Pick the Phone Number you want the iPhone 5 on.

5. Enter the IMEI ID which is located on the back of the iPhone 5 box and also on the invoice.

6. Choose to use an existing SIM card, enter the ICCID located on the back of the box or you can remove the SIM with a paper clip.

7. Done!

Make sure both phones are off after activating online restart the iPhone 5 if u have any issues mine started working after I did a restart.
Now you can also have Verizon ship you a new SIM tied to your number just pop it in and your good to go, or you can go to a Verizon store and get a nano SIM if they have any in stock.

Last edited:

aalangari

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
At&t's Iphone 5 - activation on T-mobile

i've bought my new iPhone 5 from eBay and the seller told me that the phone is with at&t but without contract. he also mentioned that he will ship the phone sealed as he received it from apple. the question here, am i going to be able to activate the phone and get it unlocked on my T-mobile SIM card?
please note that i don't have a contract with At&t.

the reason why i placed this order is because i read an article that stated that off-contract At&t iPhone can be easily unlocked via iTunes.

many thanks!

jmikey21

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
For t-mobile all you have to do is take the phone into a store and they'll give or ship you a nano sim and your good to go once you put it in. I heard u only get 2g speeds is that true?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Verizon CS told me that I could just activate mine on my primary line like I wanted to do and I just added an iPad LTE (my sister's) to the phone # I got my iPhone on. Expecting this to go smoothly, we will see.

jfclazzi

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
HOW TO ACTIVATE IPHONE 5 ON ANOTHER Line

1. Activate the iPhone 5 on the line you ordered it on, by turning the iPhone 5 on and going through the prompts using 3G connection. It failed for me and I called Verizon and they got it activated for me and LTE was working right after since I called in I guess there was no need to dial the 1877 number they included in the directions for LTE activation.

2. Activate the old phone back to the line that you just activated the iPhone 5 on, you do this by calling *228, I had to call Verizon as *228 wasn't working, the Verizon rep had to remove the DATA plan because I had a non-4g phone, then I dialed *228 again while on the line and it was Activated, and the iPhone 5 was Deactivated.

3. Wait until midnight 12:01am, sign into the main account on Verizon.com

4. Choose Activate Device, Pick the Phone Number you want the iPhone 5 on.

5. Enter the IMEI ID which is located on the back of the iPhone 5 box and also on the invoice.

6. Choose to use an existing SIM card, enter the ICCID located on the back of the box or you can remove the SIM with a paper clip.

7. Done!

Now you can also have Verizon ship you a new SIM tied to your number just pop it in and your good to go, or you can go to a Verizon store and get a nano SIM if they have any in stock.

Wrong. The important thing is DONT TURN IT ON once you buy it. If you do, the sim will be linked to that number.
So once you buy it, activate it on myverizon on the line you want it on, then turn the iphone on.

So, if you do turn it on before you activate it, you'll have to deactivate the phone by activating the old phone on that line you got the upgrade from. You need to let the sim "age" for 24 hours by leaving it deactivated from the line. After that, the sim will be free to activate on a new line, and you should be good to go.

*228 does not work at all on iPhone 5

jmikey21

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
You have to activate the iPhone on the line you got the discount on, or u risk being charged full price. The above method works perfectly. I didn't say to dial *228 on ur iPhone 5 you do that with the old phone to reactivate it, but like I said I had to call Verizon to get the data plan removed, before dialing *228.

There are obviously a few ways to do this, but I find the above method to be the QUICKEST.

amberleemarie

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Wrong. The important thing is DONT TURN IT ON once you buy it. If you do, the sim will be linked to that number.
So once you buy it, activate it on myverizon on the line you want it on, then turn the iphone on.

So, if you do turn it on before you activate it, you'll have to deactivate the phone by activating the old phone on that line you got the upgrade from. You need to let the sim "age" for 24 hours by leaving it deactivated from the line. After that, the sim will be free to activate on a new line, and you should be good to go.

*228 does not work at all on iPhone 5

This is exactly what I heard on numerous posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.