Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:26 PM   #26
tokiidokii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollermog View Post
Just unboxed mine to find this It also has some spots/marks lower down the side. It's not earthshattering, but when I pay $400 for a phone (or anything for that matter) I want it to be pristine. Let me put my own nicks in it! Getting a replacement in motion with Apple.
oh man that's pretty bad

i got the black one and i guess i'm lucky coz mine is perfect. no scratches, nicks or dings. tbh, i think i MIGHT go caseless since when the black gets scuffed up, it might actually looks really nice. the reason i didn't want the white phone is coz with iphon4, the metal band gets 'buffed' (especially with cases) so it looses the matte look (if that makes sense) and it just looks kinda ugly.
tokiidokii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
alia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngenZerO View Post
My friends and I camped this morning and we all decided to go white after checking out the "scuffgate" thread (btw, many display phones exhibited "scuffgate")...

All three of our white iPhone 5s had blemishes of some sort... most where some shiny spots or little bumps in the aluminum bezel, excess glue?, or little scratch in the back plate... Needless to say... I can live with a few shiny spots on the bezel (especially after seeing the black iPhone 5s)... normal wear and tear will take over soon.
The only iPhone that I did not have any minor cosmetic issues with (between original, 3GS, 4S and 5) was the original iPhone, which I pomptly scratched the bezel of after about 2 weeks by stuffing it in my pocket with a nail file.

My 3GS had a tiny spot of light bleed, and both of my 4S's had screen yellowing only in one portion of it (I only bothered exchanging the first - tried on the second, and Apple store people said the couldn't see it and wouldn't authorize another exchange). So, I'm annoyed but very grateful for what seems to be a clean screen. That's the only part I can't cover with a case and still use.
alia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #28
iSmoke
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
The only iPhone that I did not have any minor cosmetic issues with (between original, 3GS, 4S and 5) was the original iPhone, which I pomptly scratched the bezel of after about 2 weeks by stuffing it in my pocket with a nail file.

My 3GS had a tiny spot of light bleed, and both of my 4S's had screen yellowing only in one portion of it (I only bothered exchanging the first - tried on the second, and Apple store people said the couldn't see it and wouldn't authorize another exchange). So, I'm annoyed but very grateful for what seems to be a clean screen. That's the only part I can't cover with a case and still use.
oh i had the yellowish screen on my 4S (not on my 4). but mine did go away after a couple of weeks. yours stayed yellow?
iSmoke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:34 PM   #29
drew0020
macrumors 65816

My white has 2 dents as well.
drew0020 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #30
theking79
macrumors 6502

Have been sliding my case off and on all day, no scuffs or anything.

The whole thing has been overstated, there's no way the silver will come through after just holding it all day.
theking79 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:36 PM   #31
txflyfish
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
My white has 2 dents as well.

By any chance could those be the speaker ports?

I kid!
txflyfish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #32
drew0020
macrumors 65816

Haha. It'd near the volume rocker on the front. One is a scratch the other is a dimple. They are very obvious. Ugh!
drew0020 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:47 PM   #33
alia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSmoke View Post
oh i had the yellowish screen on my 4S (not on my 4). but mine did go away after a couple of weeks. yours stayed yellow?
Yup, the second is still yellow in the top corner after almost a year, but you can only tell on white backgrounds.
alia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #34
iSmoke
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
Yup, the second is still yellow in the top corner after almost a year, but you can only tell on white backgrounds.
weird. mine went away. i thought it was just the "uncured" glue that was making the screen yellowish.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:51 PM   #35
mzd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just unboxed mine to find this It also has some spots/marks lower down the side. It's not earthshattering, but when I pay $400 for a phone (or anything for that matter) I want it to be pristine. Let me put my own nicks in it! Getting a replacement in motion with Apple.
yeah, that's bad. good luck with the replacement!

i just have the tiniest burr on one of the chamfered edges. hardly noticeable, even with me knowing where it is.

www.theclothsea.com
mzd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think I'd probably return that. I have a similar nick on my black one. My eyes aren't good enough to see it as well as yours, but it's definitely more noticable on black. You probably wouldn't buy a new car with a little nick in it.
Blorzoga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Jon Boy
macrumors member

Replacement organized by Apple earlier, the person said they was told 3-5 day before shipping, i received email saying 3-4 weeks but may change.

Hope this does change.
Jon Boy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #38
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking79 View Post
Have been sliding my case off and on all day, no scuffs or anything.

The whole thing has been overstated, there's no way the silver will come through after just holding it all day.
I think the issue is whether your phone comes with dings or nicks. If you get a black and you ding it up yourself, that's on you, but if it comes out of the box nicked, it's poor QC and should be replaced.
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #39
tigerfan41
macrumors regular

Still waiting to get mine, but I have a question:

If you ordered the phone through Verizon and notice a scuff/nick/whatever other defect, do you return it to Verizon or go to the Apple Store for replacement?
tigerfan41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:13 PM   #40
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Wow, that's noticable and would bug me as well. Sucks.
johndallas999 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:23 PM   #41
tigerfan41
macrumors regular

Looks like my point was moot, got the phone and no defects whatsoever.
tigerfan41 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:50 PM   #42
iSmoke
macrumors regular

so to everyone who received the iPhone with cosmetic issues, where did you order yours? apple.com? or att.com?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:01 PM   #43
edtorious
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Thumbs down Naked

There's one nick on the back and my wife who got the white one also got the same nick at the back on a different place. Can we return to Verizon or Apple? I feel like I don't need to replace it but I'm clearly disappointed .

And it looks like I won't be going NAKED anymore and get a case . I've been naked the whole time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nicks.jpeg
Views:	2054
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	360506  

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:31 PM   #44
MioPomo
macrumors member

Mine has a small nick near the lock, nothing worth returning the phone over. I can't even get a good photo of it.
MioPomo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:41 PM   #45
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for UPS to bring my black iPhone 5 today. After reading through the posts in this thread, it seems quality control was a little lax at times.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:50 PM   #46
PIX
macrumors newbie

I discovered some strange defect on the aluminum upon unboxing

PIX is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:59 PM   #47
ceo-B
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

Ups delivered by iphone bang at 12pm as promised. i ordered the black 64GB. Opened the box and something small but silver stood out on the right side rim of the phone on the black. Tried to wipe it off and it turned out to be a scratch. deep enough to scratch the paint off.

even above the silent button there are a few scuffs. Usually i wouldnt bother about wanting to exchange it but after spending $1126 on it, i feel like i deserve a perfect condition phone without having to compromise. Its a bummer cos i havent even removed the plastic from it.

Called Apple, they took down my exchange order, and said apple will get in touch with me within 24 hours. But i guess i wont get my new phone for a while now knowing how many people are probably asking for replacements.

its too bad, i am scheduled to travel overseas in a week for 3.5 months. guess no new iphone for me just yet.

packed it back in in box. now waiting to hear back from apple Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.JPG
Views:	2723
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	360549  
ceo-B is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:00 PM   #48
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Geez! That's like someone dropped it at the assembly line.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:04 PM   #49
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000

Quality control is severely lacking from all the posts I see here, scratches, dents, stuff not aligned. What's going on?
JRoDDz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:05 PM   #50
Electa
macrumors member

I have a nick in my white iPhone 5 32gb In the upper left hand corner on the very corner of the aluminum. It's not a big deal to me haha.
Electa is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone