Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:05 PM   #51
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
Quality control is severely lacking from all the posts I see here, scratches, dents, stuff not aligned. What's going on?
Eh... Ten million phones in 2 weeks? That's a bit hard to perfect.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:25 PM   #52
sotony
macrumors newbie

also have scuffs

Hi all--first post on this forum here. Just got my white 64G today and it has some scuffs/pits right in the middle of the aluminum back plate. Will try to post some pics below. Not sure what to do. Would any of you try to return/exchange your phone for this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2301.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	360570

Name:	IMG_2302.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	360571
sotony is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:42 PM   #53
Ryan T.
macrumors 6502a

Is anybodies upper-left corner seemingly not flush? Like, the glass seems to be raised up a bit...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:43 PM   #54
nfl46
macrumors 601

So far mines is fine. I really need to be going get a case though.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:04 PM   #55
applephanatic
macrumors member

Enough is enough!!!!

C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

Sorry if this came off as rude, but sometimes the truth can be mean.
applephanatic is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM   #56
mistax
macrumors member

i did a check at the store before i brought it and everything looks good on the edges and stuff. just woke up about 10 minute ago and took another peeks. and to my amazement i totally missed the small ding right between the silver and the dock connector. I couldn't really have seen it with out light pointed directly on it. =( kinda sucks, but i think since it's on the bottom it's okay
mistax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:09 PM   #57
bmw000
macrumors member

Got my White 64GB today. Has a gash near the silent switch on the bezel.

Called Apple and they will send me a replacement phone.

Haven't gotten my confirmation email yet though. When I log into the Apple store, it doesn't show the replacement phone.

Guess i'll have to call Apple back on Monday if I still don't get my confirmation email. Want to make sure a replacement is really on the way.
bmw000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #58
Baytriple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by applephanatic View Post
C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

NO NO NO NO NO!!! You are wrong!! The person is buying a product and expect it to be undamaged. They are paying for an undamaged unblemished product.

Put this into respect of a car a carpet a watch. If your new car has a scratch on it when you are presented to you. You would not say, oh nevermind!!! No of course you would not, you would get that part resprayed.

With the phone in particular you are given a boxed item, not one you can choose.

The only issue I can imagine these people are having is, if they did not cause this damage. You would have to convince the apple store that it was like this when you received it and not dropped it when unboxing.
Baytriple is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:19 PM   #59
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolan99 View Post
Mine has two tiny dents in it after putting on a case

Oh well, nothing stays perfect forever. I'm just going to enjoy my new phone!
Most reasonable response I've seen all day. Mine came in great shape--anything from this point forward is my own doing. I agree the phone should come undamaged but really, how do any of you actually enjoy your phone when you're obsessing about keeping it pristine?
tbayrgs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:19 PM   #60
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

I don't usually complain the quality of Apple products but for a phone that's supposed to be built like an expensive time piece, there sure are a lot of minor issues.

I got my white 64GB today and noticed a couple of nicks as well.

One is on the shiny part of the band and the other is on the front panel - appears to be white paint or something that won't buff out. I know these may happen eventually but for a phone that was literally just taken out of the box and plugged in... not so good.
kappaknight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #61
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Jesus what do you people do? Go through every inch of your phones with a magnifying glass? Wow.
MattMJB0188 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:22 PM   #62
mistax
macrumors member

mistax is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:23 PM   #63
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Ya come on you guys, its only a $850.00 plus tax purchase. So its all banged up and stuff, what do you want for a $1,000.00 sheesh, you would think that was expensive or something. Cheap people
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:24 PM   #64
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Right here, this says it all. 100% agree! C'mon people
adam044 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:24 PM   #65
jenjenpips
macrumors newbie

Just looked mine over and there are zero marks of any kind on my white 16gb. Just to throw in some positive feedback with the negative.

I feel bad because a small blemish doesn't make much of a difference to me! I know it'll get normal wear and tear here soon anyway. Really happy I went with white though! It's gorgeous.
jenjenpips is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:26 PM   #66
kas23
macrumors 603

Built with Swiss precision. Why does apple set themselves up?
kas23 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:26 PM   #67
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baytriple View Post
NO NO NO NO NO!!! You are wrong!! The person is buying a product and expect it to be undamaged. They are paying for an undamaged unblemished product.

Put this into respect of a car a carpet a watch. If your new car has a scratch on it when you are presented to you. You would not say, oh nevermind!!! No of course you would not, you would get that part resprayed.

With the phone in particular you are given a boxed item, not one you can choose.

The only issue I can imagine these people are having is, if they did not cause this damage. You would have to convince the apple store that it was like this when you received it and not dropped it when unboxing.
No actually I dont believe I would get it resprayed because chances are it would be very hard for them to match the original color and it wouldnt look right. Its a car its outside 90% of its life, its meant to be enjoyed not covered up under a tarp for its entire life. live a little
adam044 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:27 PM   #68
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I think it is unacceptable to buy something BRAND NEW and have dents, chips, ect. on it.
duneriderltr450 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:28 PM   #69
JonnyIreland
macrumors 6502a

I can understand people being upset with an imperfect phone straight-out-of-the-box.
Like has already been said, this is an investment of up to almost $1,000 for some people -heck I've bought used cars that have cost less than that! But if I buy a new, *premium* brand item, I expect it to be of premium quality.
JonnyIreland is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:33 PM   #70
applephanatic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
Ya come on you guys, its only a $850.00 plus tax purchase. So its all banged up and stuff, what do you want for a $1,000.00 sheesh, you would think that was expensive or something. Cheap people
thats not what i am saying, what I was saying. If your phone came scratched up and busted then I completely agree, but if are taking your phone to actively look for scratches that wouldn't be seen other wise then I think its a bit of an issue for your psyche.
applephanatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:36 PM   #71
neil1980
macrumors 6502

My black 64GB came mint (still is at the moment) but give it a few weeks and it wont.

I thought my 4 was mint condition (had it replaced not long ago) but looking at it the way you guys are its battered.

I know its disappointing but is it worth the hassle and stress of getting worked up over a tiny mark when 6 months down the line that will be nothing?
neil1980 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:43 PM   #72
ixodes
macrumors 601

I'm _not_ being critical of the OP or this thread.

My thought is ... What's the point?

It's under warranty & we know Apple is especially good at taking care of their customers.

So why waste time with pictures and commentary over something so basic as cosmetic issues?

All one has to do is reach out to Apple for a replacement.

I'd enjoy hearing some rational & reasonable answers from others.

Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:46 PM   #73
edtorious
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post
There's one nick on the back and my wife who got the white one also got the same nick at the back on a different place. Can we return to Verizon or Apple? I feel like I don't need to replace it but I'm clearly disappointed .

And it looks like I won't be going NAKED anymore and get a case . I've been naked the whole time
And so I went to the Verizon store where I purchased mine and the one my wife got via Fedex and they won't replace it.

Went to Apple store instead but they only have one replacement. And then when they open up the replacement, there's also a nick on it on the back but this time all the way to the left and much smaller but you can definitely and so they were like what the heck?

And so they decided to send the replacement back and order a replacement for mine and my wife also and will call me when they get the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nicks.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	360614  

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:51 PM   #74
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Wink

I'm not going to try and find one, I'm sure that i'll find some and it'll just ruin the whole thing
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:55 PM   #75
mzjin
macrumors 6502

First white 64gb iPhone 5 had a scuff from machining on the sides.

Second one is perfect through and through.
mzjin is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone