Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:41 PM   #101
roland.g
macrumors 603

I have one tiny dot of a nick or something in the back plate halfway between the word iPhone and the edge. I haven't configured it yet so I don't know if the screen has any pixel issues. If the screen is fine, the one tiny thing on the back is ok. I don't have any discolorations, spots, nicks, or other issues along the band or bevels of the band.

I'll be putting a BSE - www.bestskinsever.com skin on the back and band when it arrives (either tomorrow or Mon/Tues at the latest).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:42 PM   #102
Funkymonk
macrumors 6502a

I got three white iPhones. 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb. Each one is in perfect condition.
Funkymonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:45 PM   #103
fatcatvi
macrumors newbie

I got dent too, and now a scratched replacement.

I got my iPhone from UPS today around 3 PM. There was dent on the side of the phone, I then rush to Apple Store to get an exchange. They replace it with an iPhone that is not from the regular retail box, it was a small white box. After I get home, I discovered there is a 2.5CM scratch on the screen. I ran back to Apple store to ask for replacement again. They rejected me and told me that the store is too busy right now. Make an appointment and come back later.

Apple!
I spent $780 CDN on this phone and it wasn't my fault for the "manufacture imperfection".

Anyways.

Am I still eligible for the 14 days refund policy? They gave me a "replacement", the SN on the phone is different than the one on the box.
fatcatvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:46 PM   #104
Mechinyun
macrumors 6502

You paid the same price as others that got a perfect phone.

Why should your's not be perfect too.

If you don't bring this up, exchange it or return it.. apple will figure its "ok" that these quality control problems are happening and things will continue or get worse.

Apple is not your friend, they are simply a company like all others that only cares about MONEY and the bottom line, not you.

Make your voice heard - simply filling our a problem report or posting on a forum wont do anything.

MONEY will - returning or exchanging is the only thing that will potentially make apple put in changes for the better. Because that costs them - money.
Mechinyun is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #105
kellte2
macrumors regular

I agree with the sentiment that people want to receive a "new" condition product, but there are bound to be imperfections - to a certain degree. Expensive dress shoes have imperfections in the leather and craftsmanship. Expensive suits have imperfections in the tailoring. Why should a product like this be any different? Sad fact of life, but you'll make your own imperfections soon enough.

Having said all that, only the individual user can determine if it is worth the time and effort, taking into account the severity of the imperfection and the risk of another problem, to remedy the problem with an exchange.
kellte2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:10 PM   #106
Ran7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that people want to receive a "new" condition product, but there are bound to be imperfections - to a certain degree. Expensive dress shoes have imperfections in the leather and craftsmanship. Expensive suits have imperfections in the tailoring. Why should a product like this be any different? Sad fact of life, but you'll make your own imperfections soon enough.

Having said all that, only the individual user can determine if it is worth the time and effort, taking into account the severity of the imperfection and the risk of another problem, to remedy the problem with an exchange.
Whoa, WTF. I have bought about 40 phones in my life. these are by far the most expensive (and lauded for their build quality) and none has look like the two scratched up black iphone 5's I got.

And if you get nicked up shoes, from the top of the lines shoe company, you certainly do take them back fora replacement.

As far as making your own imperfections, yes we will all get our cars scratched, but you wouldn't take delivery on a factory new car that had scratches would you?
Ran7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:12 PM   #107
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

is anybody going to wait a couple of weeks and see if the build quality improves before getting their phones replaced ?
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #108
JoshObra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran7 View Post
As far as making your own imperfections, yes we will all get our cars scratched, but you wouldn't take delivery on a factory new car that had scratches would you?
We spotted a slight scratch (maybe a bird was like dancing on top of it) on the hood of my new car right after we signed the slips. The dealer told us that it could've been a manufacturing/transport defect, but they offered to buff out the scratches (since it was only part of the top layer, but noticeable on certain angles).

It's either Apple or someone hands us out some paint or some kind of replacement.

I totally agree with everyone who expects quality for a high priced item. Apple in my opinion should have quality in their products (their past products sure have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE1 View Post
is anybody going to wait a couple of weeks and see if the build quality improves before getting their phones replaced ?
I'm sure going to...
JoshObra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:19 PM   #109
extraextra
macrumors 68000

I have a very small dent on the bezel near the power switch. Didn't even notice it at first; it's pretty small. None of my other phones had this issue but to me, the dent is too miniscule to request a new phone.
extraextra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:23 PM   #110
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post
You kidding wright?, that's like saying I won't pay full price but 90% should do and apple would say no problem.
You pay full price for perfect/ brand new product...
I will likely take it in to the apple store tomorrow to see if the can swap. I can catch a fingernail on it with ease.
BoxerGT2.5 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #111
billinaz
macrumors regular

Does there appear to be something peeking out from under the area around the plastic on the rear bottom of your iphone? The nick in the case is one of two that I saw.

billinaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:46 PM   #112
PommeDeTerre
macrumors newbie

After reading so many of these complaints and QC blunders I can't help but feel lucky that my white iPhone came unscuffed and built perfectly.

I did however know from previous black anodized products that the metal scratches and scuffs very quickly so I opted for a white model for the first time. It's actually quite pretty.
PommeDeTerre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:20 AM   #113
7even
macrumors 6502a

Argh. Have a diagonal scratch across the beveled (front) edge at the bottom by the Lightning port, one by the power button at the top, and some minor imperfections on the back of the aluminum piece. Will see if it continues to bother me, since otherwise the phone seems fine
7even is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:30 AM   #114
abdi
macrumors newbie

Should i go for white or black iPhone 5?
??
abdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:47 AM   #115
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdi View Post
Should i go for white or black iPhone 5?
??
No matter what color you choose, they're both affected. Scuffs are just not that much noticable on the white one.
GoodBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:55 AM   #116
abdi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
No matter what color you choose, they're both affected. Scuffs are just not that much noticable on the white one.
Alright, thanks.

Might also be a good idea to open it in the store when I buy to check for damage.
abdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #117
zzoomp09
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo-B View Post
Ups delivered by iphone bang at 12pm as promised. i ordered the black 64GB. Opened the box and something small but silver stood out on the right side rim of the phone on the black. Tried to wipe it off and it turned out to be a scratch. deep enough to scratch the paint off.

even above the silent button there are a few scuffs. Usually i wouldnt bother about wanting to exchange it but after spending $1126 on it, i feel like i deserve a perfect condition phone without having to compromise. Its a bummer cos i havent even removed the plastic from it.

Called Apple, they took down my exchange order, and said apple will get in touch with me within 24 hours. But i guess i wont get my new phone for a while now knowing how many people are probably asking for replacements.

its too bad, i am scheduled to travel overseas in a week for 3.5 months. guess no new iphone for me just yet.

packed it back in in box. now waiting to hear back from apple Canada.
i have exactly the same ding as u do

zzoomp09 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 AM   #118
iSmoke
macrumors regular

i received both black and white iPhones. both in perfect condition. at first i thought there was a scratch on the rim, but it was just a lint. i noticed there's some kind of "blue" pigment in the seems where the plastic and aluminum meets at the bottom part of the rim (black and white). but it's not an issue. i figured maybe it's just some sort of glue. and i'm not really bothered with it.
iSmoke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #119
fupresti
macrumors regular

Some of you have a legitimate concern that needs to be corrected. Alot of you however are getting way to particular.
fupresti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:29 AM   #120
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
Some of you have a legitimate concern that needs to be corrected. Alot of you however are getting way to particular.

I disagree Snapple shouldn't let 8 year olds in china assemble these things. For $650 -$1k these things should be perfect
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:32 AM   #121
mzjin
macrumors 6502

First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside, however exterior was FLAWLESS.

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.
mzjin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #122
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjin View Post
First iPhone 5 - scuff on sides due to machining error

Second iPhone 5 - Battery loose inside

Third iPhone 5 - Huge nick in chrome side bands

Fourth iPHone 5 - Pits in aluminum on sides and back everywhere

Onto 5th.
I am shocked they let you try that many
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #123
Hakone
macrumors 6502

What's with the "whites only" post. I thought we were past all that.

Kidding
Hakone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #124
eezing
macrumors 6502

If you're worried about scratches and scuffs, get a case or get one of those plastic phones. Me, I had the first iPhone so I'm used to it.
eezing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:42 AM   #125
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteen12 View Post
Proper attitude. My black came flawless, it will get marks, life will go on.
+1. I can't believe some of these people. I can see them now, the package arrives and they immediately put it under a microscope and start looking for flaws. People need to get a life. There are much more important things in life other than any little slight defects in your cell phone appearance.
wolfpackfan is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone