Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Wow. Just wow.

For years I listen to people (myself included) talk about the qualities that make Apple iPhone's superior:

The UX
The Ecosystem
The level of refinement
The build quality

And now, when some tiny specs show up on a black anodized aluminum band, everyone freaks the freak out, starts decrying Apple, and is literally so OCD that nothing else matters (to the point of some going back to the 4S). The white one was generally reserved for women and a handful of guys. I tried a white 4S and while it was ok, will never go back out of color preference. People that would have laughed at the idea are now rushing to get one just because of the horror that black might show a little more wear (which has ALWAYS been true by the way... Just look at black and white cars: black shows everything, it just happens to be way better looking anyway... That's not even really that subjective. Ask your friends who drive exotic cars about black or white.).

Nothing that made Apple so rabidly defendable has changed. No one questioned the build quality of the touch when it had a mirrored back and looked terrible in 30 seconds from scratching. Same for the anodized nano. The build quality is FINE. There is nothing affecting anything but minor cosmetics. There is a difference folks.

FFS if you read these threads you'd think these nicks are causing the phone to explode.

What about the A6? The LTE? The ecosystem?

I get it. After all this time defending the OCD freaks thinking they really cared about the stuff that mattered (and were right for it), I get it:

They just want a status symbol. They want a tiny super model in full makeup they can cram into their pocket and show off when needed.

Who cares what it does or how it does it. If it has a nick, they literally wait for hours just to rid themselves of it. It's 100% irrelevant what it does. It has to be flawless looking above all else. I'm cool with that, it's a free country, but wow, just wow. I am so glad I dont hold anything to that standard (and I thought I was OCD because I like things clean lol...).

It's beyond first world problems.

Every phone, once opened, is used. It's also still just a phone. It will get signs of use. If it happens out of the box it's a little disappointing but that's it. Nothing else about it changed. Still has the A6, LTE, and all of the apps...

I'm embarrassed to be a fanboy today.

But I love my 64GB black 5. Love it. I'm so glad my life, vain as it is, doesn't suffer the OCD that plagues the 400+ posts of people afflicted.

Get some professional help. Please.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
You are out of your mind. Take your own advice on getting professional help.

No one with any common sense would but a new product that looks like &#%! in a couple of hours from being in your pocket.

This doesn't even cover the fact that the resale value goes way down with nicks/scratches.

So take that "embarrassment" and go shove it up your...

Well, you get the idea ;)

Have a great day!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It is not OCD. What these people are displaying is not even close to OCD.
I understand paying a high price for something that you want to be perfect, but there has to be a reasonable level of understanding for the materials used and why there could be a slight imperfection. Around here I see entitlement, not understanding. To each their own.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Ten chars

tsdc

----------

No one with any common sense would but a new product that looks like &#%! in a couple of hours from being in your pocket.

This doesn't even cover the fact that the resale value goes way down with nicks/scratches.

Have a great day!

Ok big mac daddy (lmfao).

Tell me what product you own that came perfect, and stayed that way after hours in your pocket?

That's right.

Put that wherever you want, but I'd consider being careful. There's probably a lot up there already.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
tsdc

----------

Ok big mac daddy (lmfao).

Tell me what product you own that came perfect, and stayed that way after hours in your pocket?

That's right.

Put that wherever you want, but I'd consider being careful. There's probably a lot up there already.

My iPhone 4S after months is still in mint condition. I take care of it. No cases or anything and not a single scuff anywhere. It is in and out of my pocket ALL THE TIME. Stop trying to pretend this is not an issue.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
My iPhone 4S after months is still in mint condition. I take care of it. No cases or anything and not a single scuff anywhere. It is in and out of my pocket ALL THE TIME. Stop trying to pretend this is not an issue.

Thank you penajmz, glad someone here has some common sense (unlike itjw) :rolleyes:

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008

Have a great day!

I will disagree here, it is a phone, a tool. if it works and works properly I really dont care what the outside looks like. But then I am person that is performance oriented not appearance oriented.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
You have the "I feel this way. Everybody should feel this way." Syndrome.

I will agree with you that is not a BIG deal but its not something that, in my opinion, should happen.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
You have the "I feel this way. Everybody should feel this way." Syndrome.

I will agree with you that is not a BIG deal but its not something that, in my opinion, should happen.

You feel my way. Great.

Thanks!

Everyone should!

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY

Have had the 4S since it came out and even one of the sales guys at Apple commented to me recently how my phone looks new. No screen protectors and I bounce between naked and a case. The phone is in my pocket all the time.

I take pride in taking care of my things, and considering many of us like to sell or trade our phones in when the new one comes out, it IS important to still be in good condition after a year of use.

That said, I bought black and will buy Applecare+ in the next 30 days... and will see what happens before I freak the freak out. LOL

jamst149

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Resale value. That's all I give a **** about. I'd like to sell it in a year to be able to upgrade to the next one at minimal cost. If if scratches/scuffs easily this will obviously effect the value at resale. It's not rocket science.

On top of that these are expensive items we are talking about. Spending $750. I'd like it to hold up. You can say it's just a phone or that people are being OCD but I don't begrudge anyone for being upset at spending $600-900 on something that is so easily scratched/scuffed.

It seems to me it's mostly Apple shills that are willing to fight tooth and nail for Apple's reputation that have such an issue with people being upset. I just don't understand how people can have a problem with other people having a problem on a device they spent a lot of hard earned money on.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
This is not OCD. What you're describing is obsessive but it isn't OCD -- but that's a mistake that many people seem to make.

I'm embarrassed to be a fanboy today.
Anyone with an irrational attachment to any brand/product (i.e. fanboy) should be embarrassed regardless of what day it is.

There will always be fanboys. There will always be nitpickers. Always consider the source.

Everyone should!
You and all the other self-centered forum users out there. Prepare to be disappointed as long you hold that view. Your perspective is your own. It's not universal even if many others share it with you. Not sure why so few seem to be able to grasp the concept. It's extremely evident with even just a little observation in the real world.

Why do the preferences of others matter to you? Why do you feel the need to dictate yours to others? Live and let live. You're not going to convert the masses no matter how many threads you post on MacRumors.

The irony is that if you don't care about whether or not your smartphone is a status symbol then what others think about the same device shouldn't matter if you've selected the device based on your own needs/wants.

If you have a problem with others criticizing some product you've purchased (whether you think their criticisms are valid or not) then the other people aren't the problem. Again, different people have different priorities. Don't just assume that your own priorities are everyone else's as well.

Last edited:

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
It seems to me it's mostly Apple shills that are willing to fight tooth and nail for Apple's reputation that have such an issue with people being upset. I just don't understand how people can have a problem with other people having a problem on a device they spent a lot of hard earned money on.

I am no shill, i just place different value on things, and for me, the cosmetics of a phone are not something that I value highly. I value the functionality. If there was a critical flaw in the operation of the phone itself then i would be screaming as loud as some others are about the scuffs.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Resale value. That's all I give a **** about. I'd like to sell it in a year to be able to upgrade to the next one at minimal cost. If if scratches/scuffs easily this will obviously effect the value at resale. It's not rocket science.

On top of that these are expensive items we are talking about. Spending $750. I'd like it to hold up. You can say it's just a phone or that people are being OCD but I don't begrudge anyone for being upset at spending $600-900 on something that is so easily scratched/scuffed.

Everything scratches and scuffs. Saying your used phone is flawless is a lie. I can break out a microscope and find SOMETHING.

That there are a few nicks seems to negate everything else for the OCD'ers.

Do you want a phone to use? Or for resale?

Both right?

And when you use anything anodized it wears.

Resale will be what it is. Leave it in the box if that's your only priority. It doesn't make it less sad, because a phone is still a phone, not a boxed piece of art.

At minimum it could be both right?

And careful as anyone is, micro scratches happen on edges even in full cased, full invisishielded phones. Nicks happen on used anodized aluminum.

If you use the phone, it WILL happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.