Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fgozalo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Brasília, Brazil
Hey guys, just a quick question out of curiosity:

Considering that many people successfully unlocked their iPhone via te IMEI unlock method, that is, white-listing their phones, do you think this process will also work the the iPhone 5?

I mean, since it doesn't really matter which iOS firmware, baseband or model is being used, it should probably work, right?

For those who already got the new iPhone, will any of you venture in such thing?

Thanks for any imput.

Ps: Sorry for the bad English.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I don't see why it won't work. Probably should wait a few days before paying for an unlock to confirm it can be done since I don't think anyone has unlocked one yet.

brazilzen99

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
You bought a Iphone 5 FULL Price ?? How can I do that ?? Just ask for one full price ?? What about if they ask me what carrier ?? Do I just choose ATT and don't give them any phone number ??

thanks,
regards,

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
you bought a iphone 5 full price ?? How can i do that ?? Just ask for one full price ?? What about if they ask me what carrier ?? Do i just choose att and don't give them any phone number ??

Thanks,
regards,

omg

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
You bought a Iphone 5 FULL Price ?? How can I do that ?? Just ask for one full price ?? What about if they ask me what carrier ?? Do I just choose ATT and don't give them any phone number ??

thanks,
regards,

I'm assuming you live in America since you mentioned AT&T. You can't get an unlocked one in America yet, he probably got it in another country.

brazilzen99

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm assuming you live in America since you mentioned AT&T. You can't get an unlocked one in America yet, he probably got it in another country.

In the past I bought a ATT iphone at Apple Store for full retail price and when I travel out of the US to Europe, Asia and South America for business purposes I just buy a prepaid sim card at a local store and use it on the iphone. That is why I'm asking this.

I just thought the Iphone being sold NOW at the first days and weeks of launch will not be able to buy them at full retail at the Apple store.

This was my question. How do I proceed ? Do I ask for a full price phone, just this ??

thank anyways,

cbw87

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
If you buy at "no commitment" price, it will be an unlocked iPhone.

If someone could please confirm this for both ATT and Verizon band models that would be really, really great. That's all I'm waiting for to pull the trigger...

rml4uk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I believe that in the iPhone 5 announcement, as has been the case in the past, they said that unlocked devices would be available at a later date. If you paid full price for a 5 today, all you got was an off-contract, but still carrier-locked iPhone 5.

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I was not eligible for upgrade on Verizon so it gave me the option to pay full price, there was never anything during ordering about renewing/extending my contract like in the past.

No idea if that means its unlocked or not, I'll see what I can figure out after FedEx delivers it today. It might very well still be locked I just didn't have to extend the contract, no idea till I get it though!

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012

This is not true. The apple store is not selling unlocked phones for awhile. They are selling locked ones at full price, which you can have at&t unlock if you are a current of recent customer and show that you paid full price. When this can be confirmed I am not sure. That is to say, no one has gotten at&t to unlock an iPhone 5 yet since it is just a few hours old. Someone please post how to do this if they are successful.

Lintrix

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009

"No commitment" price simply means buying a carrier-locked phone that does not make you commit to any service. It's totally different from buying an unlocked phone. This applies only for US of course, as different countries have different rules.

cbw87

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
This is not true. The apple store is not selling unlocked phones for awhile. They are selling locked ones at full price, which you can have at&t unlock if you are a current of recent customer and show that you paid full price. When this can be confirmed I am not sure. That is to say, no one has gotten at&t to unlock an iPhone 5 yet since it is just a few hours old. Someone please post how to do this if they are successful.

Actually, early indications (anecdotal accounts only) are that when you plug an AT&T "no commitment" iPhone into iTunes to activate it (or restore it), it unlocks automatically - no call to AT&T required.

So these are de-facto unlocked. What we don't know is whether the same can be said for the Verizon "no commitment" models.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown

"No commitment" price simply means buying a carrier-locked phone that does not make you commit to any service. It's totally different from buying an unlocked phone. This applies only for US of course, as different countries have different rules.

Please check the other threads about what I was saying. People already gotten their unlocked phones... :cool:

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
In the case of last year's 4S, when you buy no-commitment at&t phone at full price, it came unlocked. It was a fact.

Is it the same with iPhone5? Very likely, but pending verification.

cbw87

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
In the case of last year's 4S, when you buy no-commitment at&t phone at full price, it came unlocked. It was a fact.

Is it the same with iPhone5? Very likely, but pending verification.

And, moreover, is this the same with the Verizon "no commitment" model?

Seemingly less likely...

Lintrix

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
Hmm interesting.. if that is indeed true, then I need to be more educated on this. I did not realize that the carrier would automatically unlock the phone for you when you purchase them at full price.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

Wrong. Showed up in the morning ready to buy a locked AT&T at full price and thus be able to unlock through AT&T. One of the employees said they were selling unlocked, saying "they are all unlocked until we lock them when you buy it subsidized." Makes sense and sure enough when I got home the phone was already unlocked ("Congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked.") and all I had to do was call AT&T to hook it up to my line.

That said, I still bought the AT&T specific model, meaning it's compatible with AT&T's LTE, etc. But the phone was fully unlocked otherwise and I can use it overseas on 3G/HSPA+ networks (and LTE if compatible, but probably won't be).

Edit: And yes, my location on the left is still current. I went to the SoHo store.

cbw87

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Wrong. Showed up in the morning ready to buy a locked AT&T at full price and thus be able to unlock through AT&T. One of the employees said they were selling unlocked, saying "they are all unlocked until we lock them when you buy it subsidized." Makes sense and sure enough when I got home the phone was already unlocked ("Congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked.") and all I had to do was call AT&T to hook it up to my line.

That said, I still bought the AT&T specific model, meaning it's compatible with AT&T's LTE, etc. But the phone was fully unlocked otherwise and I can use it overseas on 3G/HSPA+ networks (and LTE if compatible, but probably won't be).

Edit: And yes, my location on the left is still current. I went to the SoHo store.

That's interesting... "they're all unlocked until we lock them" - does this mean the Verizon versions are also unlocked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.