Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:33 AM   #1
deeelz
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5 first charge

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how long you should charge the iphone 5 first time out of the box??

Thanks
deeelz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Zethca
macrumors regular

You can do whatever you want. Anything you hear about needing to do a certain charge method is an old wives tail left over from older battery technology generations. There is no evidence for conditioning modern lithium ion batteries.
Zethca is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3
beem4520
macrumors member

I use it straight outta the box down to 1%, then full charge it (not using it while it is charging).

Me personally I always run my battery down low (not even out of the box) then full charge it .

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethca View Post
You can do whatever you want. Anything you hear about needing to do a certain charge method is an old wives tail left over from older battery technology generations. There is no evidence for conditioning modern lithium ion batteries.
Straight from Apple (not about right outta the box)

Quote:
Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
beem4520 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
ROLLTIDE1
In Time-Out

Quote:
That's not true at all on many phones if you don't charge it correctly it will not give you proper battery percentages . I always run mine down to 15% then charge it with the phone off to it's full
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #5
HowardSmith
Banned

Wondered how long it would be before this was asked. Mine arrived with 73% in the battery. It is plugged in now while it updates all the sfotware but after that it will not get charged till this evening!

It makes no difference
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

Interesting, since real-world tests show that lithium-ion batteries perform best when only run down to 50% and are recharged frequently.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
deeelz
macrumors newbie

so should i use it till 15% and then turn off and charge? i am a bit confused now lol
deeelz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Zethca
macrumors regular

I'm saying you can use it normally without ever thinking about the battery, and you'll never have a battery problem. Yes it is good to run it down occasionally. No, you don't need to charge it to 100% and run it to 0 when you get it, that is nonsense.

Yes, Apple recommends you "use iPhone regularly". Friends don't let friends perpetuate myths about conditioning batteries out of the box. You never have to think about this. Boggles the mind that it's still peddled out every year.
Zethca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:52 AM   #9
TheBuffather
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Boggles the mind that it's still peddled out every year.
I think that it's still asked a lot because there is a LOT of misinformation still floating around out there. I was just told by an Apple rep that I should charge it until it's 100% charged, wait a couple hours after it hits 100%, then unplug it and use it until it's below 40%, then charge (or continue using, just don't recharge until it's below 40%).

Apple, Sports, History, Firearms, HAM Radios, Web Design, Rock & Roll
Orlando, FL- JeremyBuff.com
MBPr - MBA - iPad Mini Retina - VZW iPhone 6

TheBuffather is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone