Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Microcell icon doesn't appear in the status bar. Any idea why it's not there?

sammo

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
Not working for me either. Hoping it's an AT&T issue that will be resolved soon.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
It's an AT&T issue.

The past 3 days I have had MCell issues and been on the phone with AT&T. They were rolling out updates to them and since then, it's been a problem. It should work itself out. Not sure when though.

It is a PITA though.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Glad I read this, too!

I will not know till I get home to my microcell.

So AT&T is downloading new software to the MicroCell?

Mine has been blinking the last few days.

jazoi

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Same here. My 4S was fine this morning. Activated the 5 and it does not connect to the Microcell.

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Don't you have to add/register the IMEI number of the iPhone 5 to Microcell for access?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
At work now and we have a Microcell as well. iPhone 5 is showing 3 bars - NO M-Cell logo. So I am not sure whats going on with that. My 4S would show all bars and the M-Cell logo.

The signal (bars) keeps fluctuating as well so again, not sure if it's the Microcell or the phone at this point.

At home, my Microcell is wonky due to the AT&T problem.

If anyone has any further info, please share it here.

----------

Mine won't work either! I'm in Iowa. Is this happening everywhere?

According to AT&T the M-Cell backend is down or under heavy load today.

Don't you have to add/register the IMEI number of the iPhone 5 to Microcell for access?

No. It's via phone number only.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Has anyone tried going to the Microcell config page and removing the phone number from the list and then re-adding it?

It might have something to do with the number being associated with the IMEI.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
The "replace device" function is if you're adding/changing the microcell out.

I was thinking it might help if you go into the approved user list and delete the phone in question. Then re-add it to the list.

It probably won't, but it's worth a shot. I don't have a 5 yet or I'd give it a try.

Another question, are you in an LTE area? The phone might be trying to stay on LTE instead of shifting to 3g which is what the microcell works on.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Has anyone tried going to the Microcell config page and removing the phone number from the list and then re-adding it?

It might have something to do with the number being associated with the IMEI.

Tried that but it errors out.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
This is a very frustrating concern for me because I live in an area with little to no cellular service from any provider as we are just outside a small town. My iPhone 4S was working fine on the Microcell prior to activating the iPhone 5.

My iPhone 5 does not recognize my AT&T 3G Microcell just as many of you have posted. I have tried toggling LTE with no success. I am unable to delete my number and then add my number on the Microcell management page as my number is the primary and the only option is to change the nickname. I have another Microcell at work and the iPhone 5 is not recognizing that either.

I don't have time to call AT&T right now but if anyone gets any information from AT&T about this, please post. Hopefully there will be a software update to the Microcell but who knows when.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
This is a very frustrating concern for me because I live in an area with little to no cellular service from any provider as we are just outside a small town. My iPhone 4S was working fine on the Microcell prior to activating the iPhone 5.

My iPhone 5 does not recognize my AT&T 3G Microcell just as many of you have posted. I have tried toggling LTE with no success. I am unable to delete my number and then add my number on the Microcell management page as my number is the primary and the only option is to change the nickname. I have another Microcell at work and the iPhone 5 is not recognizing that either.

I don't have time to call AT&T right now but if anyone gets any information from AT&T about this, please post. Hopefully there will be a software update to the Microcell but who knows when.

This is my issue as well. This tells me it's an iPhone 5/Microcell issue. They're not talking to each other.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Nope, it works off your cell number not IMEI.

I talked to AT&T and the MicroCell download could take a while as they told me that it came from a third party and they have no control over it. Likely the maker of the box.

They said some are up already and the rest by the end of the weekend. They said keep it plugged into the INTERNET so when it is your turn it can download the update.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Nope, it works off your cell number not IMEI.

I talked to AT&T and the MicroCell download could take a while as they told me that it came from a third party and they have no control over it. Likely the maker of the box.

They said some are up already and the rest by the end of the weekend. They said keep it plugged into the INTERNET so when it is your turn it can download the update.

Thank you for taking the time to get this information.

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
from at&t:

"Since the iPhone 5 has a new SIM card we need to disconnect and reconnect it to the Microcell. Since the Microcell is registered to the iPhone 5 phone number, we need to disconnect this from the website and re-register. However, there is currently an issue with the disconnect/registration process and this will provide an error if attempted at this time. I would recommend trying this process in a couple hours so we have time to resolve the current Microcell issue so you can disconnect and re-register."

so, do this in a couple hours:

"Log on to http://www.att.com/3gmicrocell , disconnect the Microcell, and than complete the registration/activation process again."

From Anna with AT&T Business Data Support...

m

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
from at&t:

"Since the iPhone 5 has a new SIM card we need to disconnect and reconnect it to the Microcell. Since the Microcell is registered to the iPhone 5 phone number, we need to disconnect this from the website and re-register. However, there is currently an issue with the disconnect/registration process and this will provide an error if attempted at this time. I would recommend trying this process in a couple hours so we have time to resolve the current Microcell issue so you can disconnect and re-register."

"Log on to http://www.att.com/3gmicrocell , disconnect the Microcell, and than complete the registration/activation process again."

m

Thank You so much for your post - I do hope this works and will update with any information I may obtain as well. I encourage others to post if this works for them or if as mentioned above in another post there is really an update that needs to propagate out to all the Microcells.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
from at&t:

m

This is exactly what I was told as well.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Same issue here. (SoCal)

Hopefully they fix it soon.

I have 1 bar (at BEST) at my house. Surrounded by hills.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Not sure I buy this fix.

I am at work and we have a Microcell and my number is on there as one of the 10 numbers that can use it. My number is obviously not the number registered with the account.

So.... not sure what the issue is.

scrogers

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
Does anyone know if they above procedure is only if the iPhone 5 is the primary/non-removable number on the Microcell? I too cannot get my iPhone 5 to connect to my microcell(s), however my number is associated with no less than 7 or 8 microcells, and they are not all "mine." I can disassociate and reassociate the two microcells that are mine and I'm the primary number (once the "system" is back up), but am I going to have to get all the other people who's microcell I'm on to do the same to theirs even though I'm not the primary? What about just delete the number and re-add the number (which will still be a huge pain, but better than the whole microcell)?

I live and work in an area of weak to no service (mid NH) and survive on a network of microcells both at home and work, not all of which are are "mine." Hopefully this is resolved soon as microcells are a way of life for me. Thanks for any information!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.