Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
APPLEFAN8
macrumors 65816

How exactly do I deactivate my iPhone 4 to sell it?

I got my iPhone this morning from ups at 9:30, now the iPhone 4 says "no service" and my iPhone 5 is activated and i'm syncing it. My guess would be to restore to iPhone 4 to factory settings and take my sim card out and keep it? Or do I leave the sim card in there? Thanks
APPLEFAN8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
mrjinglesusa
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to mrjinglesusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEFAN8 View Post
I got my iPhone this morning from ups at 9:30, now the iPhone 4 says "no service" and my iPhone 5 is activated and i'm syncing it. My guess would be to restore to iPhone 4 to factory settings and take my sim card out and keep it? Or do I leave the sim card in there? Thanks
Whenever I've sold a phone with a SIM card I always remove it and destroy it before selling. The new owner can go and get a new SIM card from the carrier.
mrjinglesusa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
APPLEFAN8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post
Whenever I've sold a phone with a SIM card I always remove it and destroy it before selling. The new owner can go and get a new SIM card from the carrier.
cool, so basically restore it to factory settings, and remove the sim card and sell it? Thanks!
APPLEFAN8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Wallace
macrumors member

I read somewhere that I have to deactivate iMessage before erasing:
Quote:
First, remove your SIM card. If you've got a Verizon or Sprint iPhone, you should be able to deactivate your phone through the carrier website, or you can call them and have it done over the phone. This next step is a big one: Go to Settings > Messages > iMessage and turn off iMessage. This will stop your messages from going to your old phone even after you have erased and started using a new phone. Lastly, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. There you can erase all of your content, and safely sell your device, or give it to your mom, without worrying about someone going through your messages.
http://gizmodo.com/5945200/how-to-se...-the-right-way

Is this still correct? I have an iPhone 4 updated to iOS 6 and when my iPhone 5 came I just erased it in the settings menu. I already put it in a box so at can go out on Monday but now I'm worried that text messages/iMessages still get forwarded to my old iPhone 4 even after erasing. Please help!
Wallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Always turn OFF iMessage before wiping phone for resale.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Wallace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Always turn OFF iMessage before wiping phone for resale.
I already erased it. Is there a way to fix that?

----------

Found this on the apple support page:

Quote:
If you registered your phone with Apple, try unregistering it:
Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
Click on ">" to the right of the phone listing
Click "unregister"
Can someone confirm that?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Wallace
macrumors member

FYI, if someone sends me an iMessage it goes to my iPhone 5 but I'm afraid if the next user who buys my old/sold iPhone 4 (as soon as he puts his SIM card in and uses it) gets a "duplicate" of my messages.

Last edited by Wallace; Sep 22, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:31 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I already erased it. Is there a way to fix that?

----------

Found this on the apple support page:

Can someone confirm that?
From the Apple forums, see this thread with special attention to Post #6 (from drfrot) and forward.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Wallace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
From the Apple forums, see this thread with special attention to Post #6 (from drfrot) and forward.
Thanks for the link. I will try that out.

I guess the only thing I don't 100% understand is if I already successfully receive iMessages on my new iPhone 5 then I should be all set, right?

...I still have my old iPhone 4 here but it is already wiped out and SIM removed. I could start the iP4 back up again and toggle on/off iMessages if this would even help.

Most of the people (see your link above to the Apple forums) had the issue that they couldn't receive iMessages on their new devices because it was still linked to the old phone.

...I'm a bit confused.
Old May 30, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Lizzybluts
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 SIM card

Do all iPhone 4's have a sims card? I just upgraded and was going to sell my iPhone 4. I reset to factory settings but it still shows my phone number in contact but can't be edited out. What more do I need to do?

Thanks!
Lizzybluts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 05:56 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybluts View Post
Do all iPhone 4's have a sims card? I just upgraded and was going to sell my iPhone 4. I reset to factory settings but it still shows my phone number in contact but can't be edited out. What more do I need to do?

Thanks!
The iPhone 4 for Verizon did not come with a sim card. I am not exactly sure what the OP was saying here. Maybe he actually had a 4S? Not sure. But anyway, you won't see a sim card slot (on VZW iPhone 4) because there isn't one. Is your new phone activated and able to make calls?
Old May 31, 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Lizzybluts
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 AT&T

I don't have Verizon. There is no service, I've put the phone back to default settings but my phone number is listed on top of contacts page. I have sold the phone but I think it's not ready to go.
Lizzybluts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:28 AM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

See this page at Apple support. Find your model of iPhone on chart, get a paper clip to poke hole and eject SIM tray, remove SIM card and close tray. Test to see that your phone number no longer appears.

Post your progress.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone