Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Anthony T
macrumors 6502a

Can't use iPhone 5 with Mac OS X 10.5.8!

I'm currently trying to set up my iPhone 5 and restore my backup from iTunes. However, it won't let me because I don't have the new iTunes 10.7. When I try to download 10.7, it says it requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

Wtf?! This is ridiculous.
Anthony T is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

there was an update to OSX the last couple of days. have you checked the appstore?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
SandboxGeneral

From http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:23 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
ouch

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Anthony T
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
there was an update to OSX the last couple of days. have you checked the appstore?
I don't have the App Store, I guess because I have the older version of OS X.
Anthony T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:51 AM   #6
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
I don't have the App Store, I guess because I have the older version of OS X.
Right, you need 10.6.8 or later to sync with the iPhone 5.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:51 PM   #7
bubaglobalj
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

Quote:
I'm currently trying to set up my iPhone 5 and restore my backup from iTunes. However, it won't let me because I don't have the new iTunes 10.7. When I try to download 10.7, it says it requires a newer version of Mac OS X.

I have the exact same problem. Is there no way I can access my iPhone 5 , using OSX 10.5.8 and Itunes version 10.6.3 ?

I've tried updating my operating system, but it looks like there is no way to do this, except when you order a DVD somewhere, is that correct.

@ Anthony, I am curious, how are you solving this problem?

Thanks
bubaglobalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:37 PM   #8
bubaglobalj
macrumors newbie

so I have ordered the snow leopard CD from Apple for 19.99 . Takes 7 days to get to my location with the free shipping option. Hopefully it will work fine with that then.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Anthony T
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubaglobalj View Post
so I have ordered the snow leopard CD from Apple for 19.99 . Takes 7 days to get to my location with the free shipping option. Hopefully it will work fine with that then.
Where did you get it for $19.99?
Anthony T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10
HadItWithWindow
macrumors regular

Quote:

I was shocked too. I bought two iPhone5's. I have Snow on my Mac so I had no problem. My wife's Mac is different and cannot take 10.7. I called Apple and they are sending a free update but it will take a week.

I was tempted yesterday to cancel my pre-order and go with Android but I'm so into Apple I resisted and bought 2 phones and the latest iPad today. Was stunned when this problem happened. That's the only reason I bought Apple products. I never knew they would squeeze us out as new OS were developed. I hope this isn't a trend they continue or I will shop elsewhere.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
bubaglobalj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Where did you get it for $19.99?
Directly at Apple Canada.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadItWithWindow View Post
I was shocked too. I bought two iPhone5's. I have Snow on my Mac so I had no problem. My wife's Mac is different and cannot take 10.7. I called Apple and they are sending a free update but it will take a week.

I was tempted yesterday to cancel my pre-order and go with Android but I'm so into Apple I resisted and bought 2 phones and the latest iPad today. Was stunned when this problem happened. That's the only reason I bought Apple products. I never knew they would squeeze us out as new OS were developed. I hope this isn't a trend they continue or I will shop elsewhere.
how did u get them to send you the update for free?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:03 AM   #12
HadItWithWindow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubaglobalj View Post
Directly at Apple Canada.

----------

how did u get them to send you the update for free?
I just called the 800-my-apple and whined and he said since I bought two phones and an ipad he would mail the disc to me.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:08 AM   #13
bubaglobalj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I just called the 800-my-apple and whined and he said since I bought two phones and an ipad he would mail the disc to me.
well played
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
hanzisripped
macrumors newbie

Quote:

How long have you been buying Apple products? Apple is notoriously known for cutting off old stuff, so this shouldn't really be a surprise, and if it is, get used to it
hanzisripped is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:34 PM   #15
mandy123
macrumors member

I had this problem too (yeah I am lazy and never upgraded my 2008 Macbook, what of it ) but I called Apple Saurday and the package is already here.
mandy123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:45 PM   #16
malsch
macrumors newbie

I'm getting this as well and I have a brand-new-as-of-March2012-Mini. Rawr.
malsch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:37 PM   #17
HadItWithWindow
macrumors regular

I may have spoke too soon. The "free" disc did not arrive this week so I called 800-MY Apple back and she said they had no note of a free shipment. My wife's out of date OS requires a disc to upgrade her 10.5.8 and I cannot download the Mountain Lion I bought for my Mac because I can't access App Store Purchases on 10.5.8. Crazy

Soooooo I went ahead and bought the disc for $19 and change BOOOOOOOOO
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:55 AM   #18
Mindsynk
macrumors newbie

F that

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzisripped View Post
How long have you been buying Apple products? Apple is notoriously known for cutting off old stuff, so this shouldn't really be a surprise, and if it is, get used to it

I spent almost 2k on just a plastic Macbook before Apple tossed those out the window, and another $1,800 on iDevices ranging from the second gen ipod to the iPhone 5. I've kept my MacBook running fine without any damage since 07, and even rocked a first gen iphone for five years without breaking it. I don't think Apple gets to punish me for being able to not break me *****, and they know know it, they just don't want to tell you that, otherwise lay-downs like you don't walk into the Apple Store, lay down on the the floor, hold your wallet in the air, and ask them what you should buy. I full heartedly agree with HadItWithWindow, so far I've got two upgrade dvds from Apple for free. One was for buying a new hard drive from Apple, which they make you think you have to (not true) and it came pre installed with a higher OS then the disks that came with my comp. I wanted to clean my comp and reinstall, and simply explaining that I had bought there HDD for an outrageous price means i should have got the dvd to go with it, got a free leopard disk no prob. Next was for exactly this iPhone 5 problem, and got the snow leopard disk no problem. So don't ask "how long have you been using Apple products" this is not how they operated even two years ago, I never had all the bs with things outdating and not working till about the 4s
Mindsynk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting