Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Sitting here watching The Dan Patrick Show while waiting for the UPS truck to get here, I just got an email. Looking down and reading it, it piqued my interest, but my BS alarm started going off immediately. I searched Google for the phone number and it popped up as other people having the same thing tried on them yesterday. Quoted is the text of the email, and included is a link to the thread.

http://forums.imore.com/imore-lounge/240616-phishing.html

The thread on that link was not started by me, but is the identical email that I got, with the exception of the Activation Number being different. Anybody see this technique tried before on launch days?

Dear Apple Customer,
Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.
We're getting ready for the activation of your iPhone. However we have identified a problem with your Verizon Wireless account.
To resolve this issue, please call us at 1-877-834-0272 and reference your Activation ID: xxxxxxxxxxxx.x.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for choosing Apple.
Sincerely,
The Apple Online Store

rgar7

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
San Diego, CA
I just received this email and was about to call but didn't have a great feeling about it. They did a good job at making it look legit, but there a a few things off about the email.

1) They addressed me as "Apple Customer" rather than by my name which they normally do

2) The legal language at the bottom is a bit different than a legit apple email

3) The copyright is from 2009, rather than 2013 like an official email I received the other day.

I'm currently on hold with Apple verifying and they seem skeptical. I think people need to be made aware since this is by far the best phishing email I've ever seen if it is one.

Edit: Apple confirmed it is a phishing email... please don't call the number or give them any information.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.