Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:55 PM   #51
boobie12
macrumors 6502

I got the white iPhone 5 and for the first time I have no yellow screen. All my previous white ones had the yellow screen(4s) but this one is much more bluish like my sisters black 4s. Btw screen on this thing rocks colors are amazing.
boobie12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #52
F123D
macrumors 68040

My screen looks fine if I just use it but put it next to my old iPhone 4 and my friends iPhone 4 and the new screen looks a little yellow. The older phones have a nice crisp white to them that my new one doesn't. Oh well. Just don't put my phone next to others. Problem solved.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:23 PM   #53
soldierblue
macrumors 6502

Unless the color temperature on the screen is uneven, this isn't an issue.
iPhone 5s | iPad Mini | Nexus 7
soldierblue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:32 PM   #54
DMHmac
macrumors member

Just watched some jailbreak videos on YouTube about the 4s's yellow screen and looks like I'll just jailbreak my phone when that comes out.

Seems like problem solved after all
DMHmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:33 PM   #55
Phone Junky
macrumors regular

Just imagine how cheap Apple could sell iPhones, iPads etc. if so many people didn't return their devices trying to get a "perfect" one. Yellow tint, blue tint, light leak, tiny scuffs, this stuff cracks me up.
Phone Junky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:37 PM   #56
ixodes
macrumors 601

I received two phones. One has a very nice display. One is very yellow. I'm guessing it's going to gradually go away & be clear as the other one is. Patience goes a long ways.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:48 AM   #57
yellowfever5
macrumors newbie

Got an iphone 5 yesterday. Disappointed with the screen. Firstly, the screen should show white as white not some p*ssy yellow, nowhere near as good as my 4S. Secondly colours look oversaturated and unnatural. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple have just whacked the saturation up.

Also tested camera - no better, even on low light without flash
General speed (Unless you need real grunt, like graphic intensive gaming) - no better
It's too big!

Overall - it is going back
yellowfever5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:42 AM   #58
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfever5 View Post
Got an iphone 5 yesterday. Disappointed with the screen. Firstly, the screen should show white as white not some p*ssy yellow, nowhere near as good as my 4S.
It's too big!

Overall - it is going back
+1 to all the above. the screen on my device is a let down. on my 4s it wasn't. the height vs width is a problem for me too. it just doesn't feel quite in proportion as it is. it should be just a little bit wider with the extra height apple have added.

mine is going back too

alphabetagaga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:16 AM   #59
Merkie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
It's the glue - they come off the production line, and get shipped so fast that it's still drying. Give it around 3 days - it it's not showing any sign of clearing, take it in for replacement.
No. No. No. Repeat x10.

Glue is only responsible for SMALL YELLOW BLOTCHES, not a screen that is yellow in color temperature.

This could be caused by glue, not the entire screen!
Merkie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:18 AM   #60
ArztMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Unfortunately after using my iPhone 5 today I have noticed that it has a strong yellow screen. The iPhone 5 is pictured below on the left and the iPhone 4 is pictured on the right. I hope Apple fixes this major issue. Does anyone else suffer from the yellow screen issue?

Thumb resize.
"Suffer" is the wrong word. The left screen looks much better calibrated... Take a photo of yourself or a loved one and compalre on both screen via photo stream... Left screen will look TONS better, the right screen will show you looking like a zombie, while at the same time swallowing details in the picture die to the uncalibrated screen.
ArztMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:19 AM   #61
Merkie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I just don't understand what happened to Apple's QA.
I read similar posts when the iPhone 3G came out. Gee, I wonder what has happened. Answer: nothing.
Merkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:32 AM   #62
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Yellow screens are NOT natural and do not have better calibration. Why? Simple: whites should look white and not yellow. How on earth are whites being displayed as yellows 'more natural'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArztMac View Post
"Suffer" is the wrong word. The left screen looks much better calibrated... Take a photo of yourself or a loved one and compalre on both screen via photo stream... Left screen will look TONS better, the right screen will show you looking like a zombie, while at the same time swallowing details in the picture die to the uncalibrated screen.
You're assuming the photo taken will have 100% natural color representation, which is never the case.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:17 AM   #63
ArztMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Yellow screens are NOT natural and do not have better calibration. Why? Simple: whites should look white and not yellow. How on earth are whites being displayed as yellows 'more natural'?You're assuming the photo taken will have 100% natural color representation, which is never the case.
Do this simple test: Take a piece of white paper and put it next to both screens... Which screen looks more like the physical piece of print paper??

I bet you it's the one you feel like is warmer.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:29 AM   #64
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArztMac View Post
Do this simple test: Take a piece of white paper and put it next to both screens... Which screen looks more like the physical piece of print paper??

I bet you it's the one you feel like is warmer.
No. Paper is white and not yellow, so the yellow screen will look off (I've done this test). Second, the physical piece of paper will have much higher contrast whereas the yellow screens all have relatively low contrast.

Bare in mind that the color of physical objects depends on the ambient light. In normal sunlight, wites are white and not yellow.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:35 AM   #65
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHmac View Post
Ok so I've got my new 5 and I also have an original iPhone however the screen is looking a lot yellower on the 5.

Anyone else have anything like this?
You have a non retina iPhone and are comparing it to the 5.

It's well documented the retina iOS devices are more yellow.

That's how it is. I doubt anybody coming from
the iPhone 4 and 4S would even notice.
gadget123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:37 AM   #66
ArztMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
No. Paper is white and not yellow, so the yellow screen will look off (I've done this test). Second, the physical piece of paper will have much higher contrast whereas the yellow screens all have relatively low contrast.

Bare in mind that the color of physical objects depends on the ambient light. In normal sunlight, wites are white and not yellow.
Dude, then get Spyder3 and tell me what result you get... You'll be amazed. And no excuses, Spyder can be had for under $100, get it now for life.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:37 AM   #67
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

We wouldn't be having this stupid argument if we had ColorProfiles

TM WAZZA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #68
daneoni
macrumors G4

I wouldn't compare the iPhone 5 to iPhone 4 (early batch) and especially not to the iPhone 2G. Both were notoriously calibrated towards the Blue spectrum of the scale. The iPhone 2G being the worst of the line.

Apple has been moving towards a warmer tone since the iPhone 3G. But the 3G/3GS were over-calibrated towards the warmer tones. The 4S was better calibrated.

The iPhone 5 is indeed warmer buts its not 'Yellow' like the 3G/3GS often were. At least not to my eyes. Colours are also the most vibrant i've ever had on an iPhone.

Also you get warmer screens with LG full stop. They have always calibrated towards warmer tones across the entire Apple product line. I'm guessing they're the early suppliers of iPhone 5 displays since Sharp fell behind schedule.

Last edited by daneoni; Sep 22, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
daneoni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #69
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unfortunately after using my iPhone 5 today I have noticed that it has a strong yellow screen. The iPhone 5 is pictured below on the left and the iPhone 4 is pictured on the right. I hope Apple fixes this major issue. Does anyone else suffer from the yellow screen issue?

Thumb resize.
There's nothging to fix, it's not considered defective. Apple is known for using screens from different manufacturers with different color tints. There are many iPhone 4 and 4S with the same yellow tint. You just got lucky to have a different tint. To some other people blue tint is as bad as the yellow is to you. It's a personal prefference. I prefer the most neutral tint which is white. From all Apple devices I've own only iPod touch 3rd gen had the most neutral and accurate white. The rest was either yellow, blue or even pink tinted.
GoodBoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:40 AM   #70
Ran7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Junky View Post
Just imagine how cheap Apple could sell iPhones, iPads etc. if so many people didn't return their devices trying to get a "perfect" one. Yellow tint, blue tint, light leak, tiny scuffs, this stuff cracks me up.
Just as fitting: Just imagine how cheap they could sell if they paid attention to quality control and didn't force returns by shipping phones with nicks seen on no other new-in-box phones of any premium smartphone make and model!

So, I think your post is presumptuous. Quality and Quality control is a sliding scale. Apples screen vendors could easly have had a batch that was on the margins of tolerance or even over the line, and passed them on and apple may have missed it (clearly there was no inspection of a whole boatload of fairly scratched up ones that went by). Every company is tempted to dump quality control fails. Bean counters often have their way on pussing problem prudution runs out the door.

That said none of us know (and you sure as heck don't) whether the OP has a screen that is over the line in or not. the correct advice is for him to take it to an apple store and compare it with display models under the same light conditions. comparing it against a 4 or 4s is not enough since they may simply have a cooler color temp as a rule.

Again the sober advice is for him to compare to other 5's under the same conditions.

I like the color temperature. I have to says my samsung is more readable, but the apple is definitely more natural with phones and videos.
Ran7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:48 AM   #71
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
Apple is known for using screens from different manufacturers with different color tints
if true, therein lies the problem. no wonder there is such screen colour variation and confused buyers. well done apple
alphabetagaga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:11 AM   #72
shazzam
macrumors regular

Looking at the media's units it looks as if Apple prefers cooler toned iPhones for review.
shazzam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:20 AM   #73
2bFrank
macrumors member

Ive got the exact same issue with my iphone5, compared it next to my mates iphone5 and his seemed whiter however we was in a light room, come home and compared to my iPhone 4s and the screen is definitely yellower.

If this is how it should be then it strange but fair enough. however on photos on the phone and next to a white piece of paper the iphone 4s looks better.

I took some photos below, see what you think. I rung apple but they said they have no stock to exchange but I can get a refund if I am not happy, bit unsure on how to proceed, love the iphone5 but should I return it and wait for a new one, will it have the same issue, if there is a issue?

2bFrank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:05 AM   #74
GoodBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bFrank View Post
Ive got the exact same issue with my iphone5, compared it next to my mates iphone5 and his seemed whiter however we was in a light room, come home and compared to my iPhone 4s and the screen is definitely yellower.

If this is how it should be then it strange but fair enough. however on photos on the phone and next to a white piece of paper the iphone 4s looks better.

I took some photos below, see what you think. I rung apple but they said they have no stock to exchange but I can get a refund if I am not happy, bit unsure on how to proceed, love the iphone5 but should I return it and wait for a new one, will it have the same issue, if there is a issue?

The one on the right looks slightly pinkish...
GoodBoy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #75
TC03
macrumors 6502a

If the warm yellow is 'more natural', can someone explain to me why all iPads (without exception) in the stores are very white and crisp?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone