Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Got my phone at 10am this morning (shocked ups came that early) and wanted to share my first impressions on the bumper. Got it for less than $10 and it is just what I was looking for! Exactly like the apple bumper for the 4S, but doesn't have the metal buttons. I thought the rubber buttons wouldn't give proper tactile feedback, but they work just fine :D

This is perfect for me because it gives front and back lay on table design and I can still see the awesome aluminum back.

Here are a few quick pics

Hope this helps others deciding on a bumper style case

Attachments

• IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 662

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I bought the exact same bumper. Still haven't placed it on my iPhone though, since i'm still setting things up on it.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Got the same one off Amazon! Looks great!

Now if only this damn trash truck would leave so I'd stop thinking it was UPS delivering!

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Any issues with the bottom ports - any problems plugging in a standard set of earphones, or the Lightning connector? Oh, and a a photo highlighting the bottom of the bumper would be nice.

I ask because at least one of my iPhone 4 cases had a hole too small for most headphone connectors. :rolleyes:

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Looks great!

So is that the PC+TPU Edge Bumper for iPhone® 5 - Black?

Last edited:

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
thanks for the pics. I am going with the same setup. I have my cases here but no phone as of yet to put it in. I still have some body skins and carbon fiber back coming. I think this phone will look awesome with the carbon back with the bumper!

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Any issues with the bottom ports - any problems plugging in a standard set of earphones, or the Lightning connector? Oh, and a a photo highlighting the bottom of the bumper would be nice.

I ask because at least one of my iPhone 4 cases had a hole too small for most headphone connectors. :rolleyes:

Well looks like the lighting adapter doesn't go all the way in when trying to charge...had to pull it back a touch to plug it in...nothing to stop me from using the case though. I might just exacto knife cut the little plastic off (you can see it in the pic attached)

My klipsch s4i's fit perfectly with the case on

No lightning connector just yet, sorry

Any lose of signal strength with the bumper on ? I know its not metal, but have to ask anyway ;)

Nope awesome signal strength all across the board :D

Attachments

• IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 736

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
It just cheapens the look in my opinion. I'm going case-less this time around. The phone seems a lot more sturdy. (Feedback on this would be great as I don't have mine yet) Thinking about picking up AppleCare+ as well... Way too many issues with my iPhone 4 in the second year of my contract.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
nice!

and thanks for the clear pics.

you must not be a raging 15yr old amped up on Red Bull and Frosted Flakes :D

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Damn.

I should have ordered one online!

Anyone selling these at retail stores?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
The lock button doesn't work as good as the volume buttons do...but I'm happy with my overall purchase...only $10.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It just cheapens the look in my opinion. I'm going case-less this time around. The phone seems a lot more sturdy. (Feedback on this would be great as I don't have mine yet) Thinking about picking up AppleCare+ as well... Way too many issues with my iPhone 4 in the second year of my contract.

My iPhone lives in my pants pocket, my briefcase pocket, a Honda Odyssey cup holder, a BMW cup holder, a boardroom table, and my nightstand. You have to have some level of protection from drops and you need to have some protection for the surfaces the phone lies on. Coffee spill on the boardroom table and the bumper gives just enough elevation to save it. In the BMW cup holder which has aluminum bright work, the bumper prevents it from scratching.

A bumper style case is not only the most minimal case solution but it's perfect for these situations. "Cheapens the look"? It's a smartphone, it's all about the screen.

BJ

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I was originally thinking of something like this, but since I got my phone, I decided to keep it "naked" and continue using my slip-in case (it is just slightly short and covers everything to the top of the top ear speaker/bottom of the rear LED flash).

thenamesbryce

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010

Great question. I could never find a case that allow me to connect the the charger or rest in a dock. :(

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
My iPhone lives in my pants pocket, my briefcase pocket, a Honda Odyssey cup holder, a BMW cup holder, a boardroom table, and my nightstand. You have to have some level of protection from drops and you need to have some protection for the surfaces the phone lies on. Coffee spill on the boardroom table and the bumper gives just enough elevation to save it. In the BMW cup holder which has aluminum bright work, the bumper prevents it from scratching.

A bumper style case is not only the most minimal case solution but it's perfect for these situations. "Cheapens the look"? It's a smartphone, it's all about the screen.

BJ

You really need to re-read your post. You state one thing, and then you completely contradict yourself. You go on to say how you need a case to protect your phone from surfaces and then you finish your post with "It's a smartphone, it's all about the screen" ... Pretty funny.

A case is not needed on the new iPhone 5 but if it gives you peace of mind, so be it... It's your phone and you can do as you wish. The phone is easy to replace if an incident occurs. It's like putting a cheap plastic coating on top of your BMW.

Again, my original comment is valid... A case like this cheapens the look of the phone, in my opinion.

valk

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Ugh, I really like how minimal the design is (aesthetically and physically) of bumper cases and how it's great protection for setting your phone on a surface, but I just feel like it'd be zero help if you had a decent drop :\

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia

Everything I am readying says that it is more sturdy from a dropping it perspective, however, it scratches way easier than the iPhone 4/4s.

The black anodizing is my guess as to why. Usually anodizing is a VERY thin layer and shiny metal under it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.