Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojo pin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest,US
I just got my first iPhone (the 5). I'm loving it so far, but I'm really annoyed by how it automatically syncs ALL my contacts and email addresses from my gmail account to my phone contacts list. I only want the people I purposely, manually enter in there. My contacts page looks so messy and unorganized with random email addresses from people I haven't emailed in several years all mixed in with legitimate entries that I really do need. How can I unsync this? Or do I have to go through and manually delete every one of them? I couldn't find an option for it under Settings.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
settings - mail,contacts and calendars - select your gmail account - switch contacts to off.

mojo pin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest,US
settings - mail,contacts and calendars - select your gmail account - switch contacts to off.

Okay, I go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, but then I'm not given the option to select my email address. :( The only place I can do that is listed under "Accounts." I clicked that and it does give me the option to turn "Mail," "Calendars," "Notes" on and off, but there's nothing there for contacts. And under the "Contacts" subheading (in the main "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" option) it only has "Sort Order," "Display Order," and "My Info," none of which contain any option for what I'm looking for. Is that maybe something new with iOS6?

----------

Click groups at the top of contacts and see if one of the groups is more filtered to what you want.

I'm also not seeing an option for Groups at the top of my contacts? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.