Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Hey everyone. I'm at my local apple store right now and the have extra iPhone 5's in stock. They told me they could sell me just the device for $650. It would be the AT&T model, but locked.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to unlock it, and if so how? I'm a T-Mobile user.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Hey everyone. I'm at my local apple store right now and the have extra iPhone 5's in stock. They told me they could sell me just the device for $650. It would be the AT&T model, but locked.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to unlock it, and if so how? I'm a T-Mobile user.

Connect to the iTunes and you will be unlocked.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Is that what's happening with other people? Because the store rep said it was not the unlocked model.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Is that what's happening with other people? Because the store rep said it was not the unlocked model.
They are not selling it as the unlocked model.

It may, in fact, be unlocked, but since they're not selling it that way, if you have any problems with it actually NOT being unlocked, they can't help you. Other than giving you your money back.

In a few weeks (if it's like past iPhone launches), they will officially start selling an unlocked model.

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012

Once the device is sold as non-contract, AT&T marks that IMEI being ready for unlock. Then it forwards the information to Apple and once you connect it to your iTunes, it retrieves the information from Apple and the unlock is done on your computer.

Just like the iPhone 4/4S unlock procedure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.