Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
spacecadet610
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 rattling power button

Just got it in the mail.

Anyone notice the power button rattling around a little when moving the top rapidly or tapping the top with your finger?

Don't know if this is normal.
spacecadet610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
drb1992
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet610 View Post
Just got it in the mail.

Anyone notice the power button rattling around a little when moving the top rapidly or tapping the top with your finger?

Is the power button rattling or does it sound like something inside is rattling?
drb1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
lsutigerfan1976
macrumors 6502a

Is everyone experiencing this? Seems like a bunch of threads have popped up with something rattling and shaking inside their phones.
lsutigerfan1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Gathomblipoob
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigerfan1976 View Post
Is everyone experiencing this? Seems like a bunch of threads have popped up with something rattling and shaking inside their phones.
This thread appears with every new iPhone release.
Gathomblipoob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Fontane
macrumors regular

I noticed about five minutes ago and happened to see this thread.

When I hold the phone, if I gently tap the back or move the phone around I can hear the rattling. It's not a big deal, but does give it that cheap electronics sound.
Fontane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #6
williape
macrumors newbie

I believe this is the camera lens. The lens moves for focusing and I believe that on the 4S this was determined to be the "issue".
williape is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:03 PM   #7
spacecadet610
macrumors 6502

Thought at first it might be something inside but pretty sure it's the power button.

When i wobble the power button with my finger it makes the same sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1992 View Post
Is the power button rattling or does it sound like something inside is rattling?
spacecadet610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
kaplanfx
macrumors member

My power button is loose as well (mine also came out of the box with a scratch on the finish of the rim). I'm wondering if the phone is assembled differently, I remember the older phones being like this, but not the iphone 4.

-kap

Last edited by kaplanfx; Sep 21, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
kaplanfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 68000

I would file a complaint with the US Dept of Labor about the quality of the products we get because the Chinese slave laborers aren't cutting it. Something needs up be done, waterboard the pricks if you must. But they gotta step it up and care about the products they work on for 22hrs a day. It's not all about the free fish and rice.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:28 PM   #10
leftyno9
macrumors regular

yep one the first things i notcied
leftyno9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Fontane
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGT2.5 View Post
I would file a complaint with the US Dept of Labor about the quality of the products we get because the Chinese slave laborers aren't cutting it. Something needs up be done, waterboard the pricks if you must. But they gotta step it up and care about the products they work on for 22hrs a day. It's not all about the free fish and rice.
It's obvious to me the chinese laborers are starting to feel entitled to a full day's pay and as a result the quality of our apple products is suffering. I'm not happy at all. Maybe we need to take away water breaks.

Don't they know who we are? We're Americans. Freedom Fries. Remember 9/11.

Fontane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
spacetycho
macrumors member

Cool rattle and dumb

same issue here. rattling sound when tapped on upper 1/4 mostly steaming from the camera area. power button, same area, works but feels loose to the touch and when very lightly shaken sounds like something going back and forth internally. i have the same camera rattle when tapped on my 4 but not the back and forth loose sounding rattle. kind of sucks.

Do you like Indie POP music? Check us out-http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tim-Adam/287084731358336
spacetycho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13
kaplanfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetycho View Post
same issue here. rattling sound when tapped on upper 1/4 mostly steaming from the camera area. power button, same area, works but feels loose to the touch and when very lightly shaken sounds like something going back and forth internally. i have the same camera rattle when tapped on my 4 but not the back and forth loose sounding rattle. kind of sucks.
Ok, so I went to the Apple Store to swap my iphone for an unscratched one. While I was there I checked out the demo units. They all have SLIGHTLY loose power buttons compared to the extremely tight fit of the 4 and 4S. I'm guessing this is based on how the button is fit into the case and part of the design. Again they all have a tiny bit of wiggle (I looked at 15 different ones) so this it totally normal and part of the design.

-kap
kaplanfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:27 PM   #14
willdude
macrumors member

For what it's worth, I had a Genius appointment today to check out the loose power button that rattles. They told me it was actually the vibration motor I'm hearing, and that everything was "up to spec". I don't really buy it, and think there's definitely play in the power button which is rattling.

But more to the point, I handled a good half-dozen display models, and every one had some play in the power button (some more than others) and made the exact same rattle noise. So wherever the noise is coming from, it's common enough to not be worth worrying about, in my opinion.
willdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Adutrumque
Banned

So many problems.. I hope this is all for the first batch.

OnT: Get your phone looked at, they might give you a replacement.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:20 PM   #16
7even
macrumors 6502a

Yep, noticed the buttons on my 5 rattle a bit. My 4S was rock solid. Oh well
7even is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

Was in the store to pick up some accessories, none of which they had in stock (car charger, 30-pin to lightning adaptor; ended up just walking out with another lightning cable) and brought up the loose power button/rattle in conversation. He offered to take it in the back and have it looked at and came back a couple of minutes later saying that it's completely normal and everybody in the back that had a 5 had the same play in theirs.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #18
ajcadoo
macrumors regular

Yes it rattles around but who cares...it works doesnt it?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:13 PM   #19
jianglai
macrumors member

I noticed this immediately after receiving mine on Friday. It is definitely the power button in my case since if I hold it and shake the phone there is no rattling at all. It is quite annoying especially when tapping on the top part of the screen or when the phone is vibrating.

However I turned back to my old iPhone 4 and discovered that the power button is loose as well. That may be the result of 2-year usage, but I never really felt it because I have a bumper on and the button is always slightly pressed by the bumper.

I'll be getting a bumper for my iPhone 5 and see if that mitigate the rattling problem.

PS: I suspect that since the 5 is much lighter that 4/4S, this rattling is more perceptible.
jianglai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:35 PM   #20
NavyDude065
macrumors member

Lens Cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.
NavyDude065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:38 PM   #21
syan48306
macrumors 6502

Back when I got the 4S, I discovered if you tap the apple symbol on the back, or anywhere on the top portion, you get a rattling. The senior apple tech said it was the free floating compass inside. Personally, i think it's more the camera lens. Whatever it is, it's "normal" as every single 4S in the store had that small rattling noise when you tapped it. Yes, I literally went to every phone in the store and put it up to my ear and tapped it like an idiot. Apparently the iPhone 4 had it as well.

Thus, my iPhone 5 has the same small rattle when you tap it. It's just the way the iPhones are. "It's normal"

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:48 PM   #22
JimmytheDel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet610 View Post
Just got it in the mail.

Yes I just got it for my birthday, the button is deeper in the phone and it is loose.
JimmytheDel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Steevie
Banned

I used to care about every single little thing. i remember getting my iphones swapper out for a sliding home button, rattling volume buttons, etc. Now i just dont give a damn. a little wiggle here or there is not a big deal unless it affects my phones functionality.Hahah im uch more at peace now
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:26 PM   #24
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

My power button rattles also, my iphone 4 didn't rattle at all, I'm living with it since it doesn't affect the phone usage at all
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

the power buttons on 3 iPhone 5's that I have handled at length have all had some play (could translate into a rattle if you violently shake the phone). I would deem this "within spec" but then again we're discussing a 2+ month old thread. I'm sure the OP has either exchanged it or decided to live with it by now.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone