Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
This is not a moan about the maps as such…

Just driven using voice guidance. In front of me there is a roundabout and I need to take the 3rd exit. This is also clearly displayed on the iPhone map. But the voice guidance tells me to take the 4th exit. I assume it is counting the wrong way up a dual carriage way as exit 3.

Next I come to another roundabout. I need to go straight over this one (exit 2). Again the correct second exit is depicted on the map. The voice tells me to take the first exit.

So if you are driving purely by listening to the voice - you almost certainly won't get to the destination, even if the map is right in the first place!!

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I think it's the way UK's roadways are designed. In the US, we use the left lane as a passing lane.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
When I say dual carriage way, that is the equivalent of a US highway with something in the middle of the road to separate the traffic flows. It is obvious that you don’t drive the wrong way up a highway!

Last edited:

Tillypup

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
London, England
I've found a similar incorrect counting of roundabout exits, but only on some not all routes.

If I calculate a short route to the nearest shops, then the route takes me is a roundabout with only 3 exits. Going there the map and junction pictures tell me to take the first exit, but the voice tells me to take the second, and vice versa on the return route - it's as though the exits for voice are being calculated going the wrong way round the roundabout.

On roundabouts with more exits I've found the voice directions tie in with the map and are correctly numbered.

I've submitted problem reports for the incorrect routes, so hopefully will be fixed at some point!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.