Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:21 PM   #51
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.
There are no hardware differences.
The phones all use the same Qualcomm chip.
It's programming in the base band radio that determine what frequencies are enabled.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:21 PM   #52
KPOM
macrumors G3

If this sticks, this would be a great move by Verizon. Granted, it doesn't work on AT&T's LTE network, but even the option to use AT&T or T-Mobile is nice, on top of the ability to use international nano-SIMs.
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #53
mbhebsgaard
macrumors regular

Do we really need that video to tell that - I hooked up when the ups rang on the door bell!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:25 PM   #54
tarkeybear
macrumors member

Does this make Verizon a decent international phone?

One warning I have gotten from international travelers is that Verizon is pretty bad when trying to use their CDMA technology in foreign countries and that ATT GSM) is way better.
If this is true, then all I need to do is buy a pre-paid nano-sim in the country I'm traveling in, and voila, supplemental international service on top of (but separate from) my monthly verizon service?

ATT rocks at my work but chokes at home. If ATT ever gets their act together around my home, I could come back to ATT and use the same phone? :-)

Also, if I use the phone with an ATT SIM (like my wife's), then would I be able to enjoy simultaneous data and voice while on the ATT SIM, but be back to voice or data when I put my Verizon SIM back in?
tarkeybear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:32 PM   #55
nickgwyn
macrumors member

Can the VZW phone be used without activating with Verizon? Say with a existing ATT contract?
nickgwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:33 PM   #56
iExpensive
macrumors 6502

I can guarantee this will be locked a la Sprint iPhone 4S from last year
iExpensive is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:36 PM   #57
Junkyman
macrumors regular

This is really awesome news!

Do I see it correctly that between the Verizon Modell (A1429) and the one that is sold in Europe (also A1429) is basically the same but that on the latter the LTE-Bands 13 & 25 are software-wise deactivated? But essentially they support the same frequencies (GSM & CDMA)?

I'm currently considering going abroad to Europe for one year and thinking about getting an iPhone 5, but haven decided which carrier yet. If this news turns out to be true, the Verizon iPhone 5 really is a world phone!

Anyone to confirm? :-)
Junkyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:49 PM   #58
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
There are no hardware differences.
The phones all use the same Qualcomm chip.
It's programming in the base band radio that determine what frequencies are enabled.
THis isn't a very detailed explanation. Can you be specific?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:53 PM   #59
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this is awesome!
nooo if it cant get 4G or do simultaneous voice and data what is the point?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:53 PM   #60
John.B
macrumors 68030

If true, then the Verizon iPhone 5 should work with SIM cards from AT&T partner networks like Straight Talk at HSPA/HSPA+ speeds?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #61
Sortieren
macrumors newbie

Cool but Atnt is slow

Personally I think it's a cool option but the Verizon LTE foot print is far bigger than AT&T LTE. Even if it could work I would stick with Verizon.
Sortieren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #62
rlavigna
macrumors newbie

explanation of iphone 5 differences

Take a look at this article for the frequency differences that make each carriers iphone 5 subtly unique for their network.

Why the iPhone 5 Lacks Support for Simultaneous Voice and LTE or EVDO (SVLTE, SVDO)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/w...-svdo-support-
rlavigna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:57 PM   #63
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. The FCC mandated no locked phones when Verizon purchased C block spectrum.
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #64
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
I don't see how this is a surprise to anyone. The FCC mandated no locked phones when Verizon purchased C block spectrum.
Are other Verizon LTE phones unlocked? Does AT&T have any of this spectrum, or does this same limitation apply to AT&T's bands?
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:04 PM   #65
Aero Leviathan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
More info/discussion on this: http://www.howardforum.com/showthrea...-unlocked!-FCC
Aero Leviathan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM   #66
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Let's get a pool going on how long it takes before Verizon locks this down.

Then again, maybe this is on purpose. As long as Verizon has the contract with you, why would they care if you also add on a GSM plan? Plus, as was mentioned, you can't use AT&T's LTE network so there's really no competition. If it helps attract international travelers, why not, right?
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM   #67
nightrider1
macrumors newbie

Foreign LTE

Will foreign LTE work on the same bands supported by the Verizon iPhone 5?
nightrider1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:07 PM   #68
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Let's get a pool going on how long it takes before Verizon locks this down.
Why would they care? You cancel your contract and they get an ETF that pays for the rest of your subsidy.

But it would be attractive to me if I were more of an international traveler. And it definitely betters the resale value of the Verizon iPhone, as I've found they do not keep their value as well because prior they could not be unlocked domestically (I think).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:08 PM   #69
sportykid2332
macrumors member

Are the AT&T phones able to take european micro sims to use the HSPA+ networks over there? Or is Verizon just being really nice?
sportykid2332 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:08 PM   #70
syan48306
macrumors 6502

The video says "Verizon phones purchased under contract"

I'm assuming this goes for Verizon phones that were not purchased under contract ie the 650/750/850 phones? If that's the case, that's awesome. I do quite a bit of traveling and this would be great.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:14 PM   #71
MacTK
macrumors newbie

Better choice for Europe

Wait a minute: Do I see it right that the CDMA Iphone 5 is the way better option for the Asiens/Europeans?
Because most Carrier in Europe support the Verizon LTE Band 800 instead of the LTE Band 1800 (only T-mobile Germany and one carrier in the UK support it) , and if a Sim Card actually works in the Verizon Iphone 5 we also have our Euopean GSM support.
Than this phone would be the way better choice as the regular European/World GSM Iphone 5, or am I wrong?
MacTK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:17 PM   #72
Moi Ici
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhtomitn64 View Post
I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?
Did you bring the iphone over from another carrier? If so, then that is a problem, if not, then Verizon should honor the upgrade if you are on a family plan or some thing like that. If you are not on a family plan, then merge if you can now.
I am with ATT and so is my partner, I get the upgrade every year as I take her upgrade every other year (time wise). They just jiggle my phone number back and forth between accounts and volia!, I get the upgrade. ATT have no problem with that and neither does my partner, bless her little non gadgety heart.
Moi Ici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:17 PM   #73
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTK View Post
Wait a minute: Do I see it right that the CDMA Iphone 5 is the way better option for the Asiens/Europeans?
Because most Carrier in Europe support the Verizon LTE Band 800 instead of the LTE Band 1800 (only T-mobile Germany and one carrier in the UK support it) , and if a Sim Card actually works in the Verizon Iphone 5 we also have our Euopean GSM support.
Than this phone would be the way better choice as the regular European/World GSM Iphone 5, or am I wrong?
Yes, that's the case. However, a lot of European LTE networks will operate on 800MHz and 2600MHz bands that are not supported by the Verizon or AT&T iPhone 5. For instance, in the UK, only EE's network will be supported, not Vodafone or o2 when they get their LTE networks up and running.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:20 PM   #74
icyfire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Leviathan View Post
Great find! I think this is the end of the era of locked phones.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:28 PM   #75
name99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKHAN View Post
That's amazing, no more having to wait till the end of your term!
You never had to wait the end of your term with VZW. In the past you had to wait three months from purchase, now you wait zero months.

(Compare with Sprint who seem determined to do everything possible to drive customers away. For a long time they couldn't state what their GSM unlock policy was, then recently they decided they would unlock after 6 months.
What a bunch of tools:
- worse network than VZW: check
- worse GSM policy than VZW, even though it costs Sprint nothing: check
- so we'll have lower rates? god no --- let's have rates comparable to VZW.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
Any news on the AT&T variant? Is it unlocked also?
ATT unlocked GSM? God no.
ATT will unlock it after two years. If you have a really good excuse and find a nice ATT person, you may get it unlocked slightky earlier, like after 20 months.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone....
This is an iPhone 5 discussion. Do T-Mobile offer iPhone 5 (yet --- they may well by next year)? Do Virgin? If not your, then snark is pretty damn stupid, isn't it?

This is like responding to a discussion about US phone plans by telling us that we should all switch to some South Korean carrier.
name99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion