Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Hi all,
iPhone 5 picked up at midday today in UK.
Have set the phone up with email accounts etc and charged to 100%.
However now after 2 hrs of near constant use on safari, FB, twitter and emails I'm at 55%.
Does that sound about right? The battery is draining fast.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Give it a few charge/discharge cycles. The phone needs to learn the battery.

I'm very interested to see what battery life you guys get on your 5...

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I'd give it a few charge cycles first. I'm gonna use mine and drain it everyday for a few days then see how it fares

mikey2004

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
Portadown, Norn Iron
I've had mine 12 hours now, was at 77% when i first turned it on, haven't stopped using it all day and its only at 23%. Thats 54% drop in 12 hours compared to my 4s which fully drained at 7 hours use today

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Mine was delivered with 78% (at 8.30am), after 2 hours re downloading everything through iCloud I went straight to the gym to use it to listen to music for 90mins, tried out navigation on the way home, continuously used it for calls, messaging, facebook, games, email, until 7pm when it finally switched off.

That's better than my old 4S for time and use from 100%. It's nearly charged to 100% now after 2 hours. I'll be interested to see the drop in battery over night on standby. The 4S was dropping 20-30%.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
That's better than my old 4S for time and use from 100%. It's nearly charged to 100% now after 2 hours. I'll be interested to see the drop in battery over night on standby. The 4S was dropping 20-30%.

If your 4S was dropping 20-30% in standby overnight, then something was definitely wrong with that phone. Sorry to go off topic, but not normal what so ever. My 4S drops maybe 2-3% overnight on standby. You actually thought that dropping 30% overnight was normal? :confused:

igluck

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
For what it's worth, I went from full charge to shutdown in about 4 hours. But I'm in a very bad reception area in my office and I figure the battery needs to calibrate a few times. Will be interesting to see if it's worse than my iPhone 4.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Hi all,
iPhone 5 picked up at midday today in UK.
Have set the phone up with email accounts etc and charged to 100%.
However now after 2 hrs of near constant use on safari, FB, twitter and emails I'm at 55%.
Does that sound about right? The battery is draining fast.

No apple said 8hrs screen on time with LTE browsing the whole time?

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Will be interesting to see if it's worse than my iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 was truly a beast when it came to battery life.

That's what I'm upgrading from & so far the battery drain is worrying. But I agree with the advice to let it cycle a few times before assessing.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have _never_ made battery life a priority.
Not for smartphones, or laptops, and I am highly mobile.

For years the weak link has been battery life.
I use mine so heavily it just doesn't matter.

Everywhere I go there are A/C outlets.
I buy based on the products that fit my needs best.

Batteries are never a dealbreaker.
Simple :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah my battery is lasting decently. It had 90% charge when it came in at like 11:15, and at 7:30 now it's at 5%. I've been using it HARDCORE though, and I'm sure it'll improve some with a couple cycles.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Glad to see a thread on this.

Sadly, I've been a bit concerned today. It's draining faster than my 2 year old iPhone 4 with the exact same settings.

It's only day 1 though and I haven't charged overnight.

Going to remain optimistic. :)

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
glad im not the only one. my friend reminded me to turn off wifi bluetooth and location so i did that haven't seen much of a difference butttt I'm hoping tomorrow after a good charge tonight it will be good. she charged hers today and we talked on the phone for 25 mins she played videos and texted and finally after 2 hours it went down to 99% so I'm hoping tomorrow will be different. :). do you think people will return it if battery life doesn't show any increase?

sparayno1

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Battery life not as good as iPhone 4

On LTE, doing light browsing with no syncing in the background, my battery drops 1% every 3 min. Screen brightness at 40%. When phone is in sleep mode I am losing 1% every 15-20 min.

With my iPhone 4 on 3g, my battery was solid, lasting hours on standby before dropping 1%. I am hoping the iPhone 5 improves after some charge cycles.

Goldielocks19

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
NY
Since they claim battery life is better I put my brightness higher. Something I couldn't do with my 4. So far seems better and it's nice to actually have a bright screen for once lol.

rsnc

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2012
100% isn't always fully charged

If it is at 100 and still showing the little charging symbol then it still has a little to go. ..when it shows the plug..it's done.

The batts should also improve a little once they cycle a couple times

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
bump

Want more comments on this.

Still very early but I'm a bit concerned. My battery has dropped (on light usage) crazy fast.

Hoping a couple cycles and all-night charges will change that. :eek:

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
Well after 6 hours of reasonable usage as I detailed in my original post, the iPhone 5 died.

As I'm at work it's been sat in my pocket with no power and will have been for 7hours by the time it goes on charge. I will then charge it for at least 8 hours while I sleep and will see how it performs tonight.

I'm glad it's not just my phone but am worried that it's happening. Like a previous poster I'm upgrading from the 4 as the battery on there was getting bad. I don't want a phone with a worse battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.