Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #976
Godf1st
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos01 View Post
I have found my iPhone 5 battery life to be MUCH worse than my previous iPhone 4's. I have my brightness low and turned off mostly everything including:

LTE
Bluetooth
Location Services
iCloud
Most notifications
Siri
Mail
+ And much more

My usage on 1% is around 6 hours. Under that usage my time was spent solely browsing the Web under 3G with wifi and LTE turned off.

On another day on 3G I had 67% with 2 hours 18 min usage with 10 hours 23 min standby.

I noticed that being soley on wifi I still experience dramatic battery loss. I dropped 10% in 1 hour usage.

I did two full cycle charges (drained battery to shut off then to 100%) and no change. I did notice that my battery lasted on 1% for a good hour before shutting down. Strange, huh?

So any tips on getting better battery life based on my stats or do you think it is a hardware problem and I should try and replace my iPhone 5?
That's ridiculous how your battery is draining. I would suggest doing the procedure described a couple post above yours and turning off imessage if you haven't. I have half of the stuff you got turned off and I'm experiencing much better results with the aid of the solution a couple post above yours and turning of imessage. Here's what I have going since doing the procedure. In also using my phone as we speak to post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	376093  
Godf1st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #977
Cosmos01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godf1st View Post
That's ridiculous how your battery is draining. I would suggest doing the procedure described a couple post above yours and turning off imessage if you haven't. I have half of the stuff you got turned off and I'm experiencing much better results with the aid of the solution a couple post above yours and turning of imessage. Here's what I have going since doing the procedure. In also using my phone as we speak to post.
I just turned off iMessage then restarted my iPhone. Before I shut my phone off, my battery was at 95%. After it restarted, my battery is now 98%. Then it dropped to 97% a few minutes later. I don't think this is normal, is it?

Also, I am on iOS 6. I am debating updating to 6.0.1 contingent on whether or not it it will improve my battery life. Has everyone noticed better or worse battery life on 6.0.1?
Cosmos01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #978
lawhochun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godf1st View Post
Its ridiculous that we need to turn off the staple features in order to save battery life. Otherwise whats the point of getting an iPhone, just get a crappy phone that has the ability to make calls then.
lawhochun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:31 AM   #979
RoboGeek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawhochun View Post
Its ridiculous that we need to turn off the staple features in order to save battery life. Otherwise whats the point of getting an iPhone, just get a crappy phone that has the ability to make calls then.
Totally agree on that! What's the point, right?
RoboGeek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:54 AM   #980
Godf1st
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboGeek View Post
Totally agree on that! What's the point, right?
You got a point, the only features I turn off is GPS until needed and Imessaging, I have unlimited texting. But turning off almost the entire phone is worthless. You shouldn't have to.
I still have LTE, push email, etc. turned on, since doing the dfu restore and restoring my backup it looks like I'll be getting the battery specs apple advertised, well at least close. I've read that doing a dfu is good after doing an ios update. I have no errors happening in the diagnostic department or anything. Previous to my update before the dfu I had crashes, and poor battery life.
Godf1st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:26 AM   #981
macness
macrumors 6502

The main difference I noticed with battery life between my iPhone 5 and my previous iPhone 4 is what happens when it hits 1% . My iPhone 4 would instantly shut off the second it hit 1%, but my iPhone 5 is a much deferent story. The last 1% seems to back a percentage of reserve battery. I listened to music and made 2 three minute calls , with location services and cellular services (LTE) on for 15 minutes on my drive home from work. I made it home and had time to plug it in without it dying out. The last 1% of battery life continues to impress me.
macness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:11 AM   #982
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure everyone having battery issues are not from the east coast, but for what it's worth. I had great battery life +10 hours on every charge the first few weeks I got the IP5. Ever since the storm we had (I'm in NYC) my battery won't last more than 4 hours. I haven't changed one thing on the phone and use it the same way before the storm came. I recently made a genius apt and they did the whole battery test. Everything was fine. The genius said that ever since the storm more and more people are complaining about the battery and it could be caused by some of the towers not being up or not sending as strong as a signal it use to. I don't know if it's tru or not, but over the last 3 days I'm not up to about 6 to 7 hours of usage. Way more than the 3 to 4 hours I was getting last week. I've received emails from ATT saying they are still working on towers so I'm hoping that it goes back to the +10 hours. Will keep everyone updated.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:39 PM   #983
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
I'm sure everyone having battery issues are not from the east coast, but for what it's worth. I had great battery life +10 hours on every charge the first few weeks I got the IP5. Ever since the storm we had (I'm in NYC) my battery won't last more than 4 hours. I haven't changed one thing on the phone and use it the same way before the storm came. I recently made a genius apt and they did the whole battery test. Everything was fine. The genius said that ever since the storm more and more people are complaining about the battery and it could be caused by some of the towers not being up or not sending as strong as a signal it use to. I don't know if it's tru or not, but over the last 3 days I'm not up to about 6 to 7 hours of usage. Way more than the 3 to 4 hours I was getting last week. I've received emails from ATT saying they are still working on towers so I'm hoping that it goes back to the +10 hours. Will keep everyone updated.
In my office in midtown NYC, I have always had full 5 bars before and after the storm. Its hard to see the difference as every day I use my phone differently. If I see 6 hrs usage LTE only I am happy.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:44 PM   #984
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
In my office in midtown NYC, I have always had full 5 bars before and after the storm. Its hard to see the difference as every day I use my phone differently. If I see 6 hrs usage LTE only I am happy.
I work in midtown, but live in Westchester and had more issues in Westchester than NYC regarding service.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:35 PM   #985
spyd4r
macrumors regular

LTE off, 3G only.. wifi off and bluetooth off..

can't get over 4.5 hours usage... no matter what.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:21 PM   #986
vampireszombies
macrumors 6502

I've really started to notice my battery life being lame. Also the inconsistent wifi drops and weird cellular drops I've been thinking of exchanging for an S3 or something... Since its only a matter of luck if AT&T gives me a swap for a properly working one.
vampireszombies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:35 PM   #987
Adutrumque
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireszombies View Post
I've really started to notice my battery life being lame. Also the inconsistent wifi drops and weird cellular drops I've been thinking of exchanging for an S3 or something... Since its only a matter of luck if AT&T gives me a swap for a properly working one.
S3 has the same if not worse battery life. Tried one out.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:52 PM   #988
ladytonya
macrumors 6502a

I've only been using mine for less than 48 hours but I have experienced much better battery life than I ever had on my 4! Typically, I leave my phone plugged in overnight so I start the day with a full charge. I would take the 4 off the charger around 8am and use it through the day, at 4pm I would be down to around 20% and would charge it back up to 100% before leaving the office. After 5:30 I did tend to use it more because I wasn't working and by 10 or 11 it would sometimes be back down to 20% or lower. If I listened to Spotify for any length of time it would completely die on me.

Now with the 5, I picked it up from FedEx on Wednesday and plugged it in to charge up to 100%, not sure where it was when I took it out of the box so I wanted it to be fully charged. Went to Verizon and they activated it and I started syncing with iCoud. I was also just playing around with it, messing with Siri, navigation and Maps, playing with the panorama feature in the camera, and Facebooking and Tweeting. At 5:00 I was charged 100%, after all that playing around and syncing at around 10 I was only down to 75%. It wasn't off the charger though because I ended up doing a restore to start fresh and adding apps directly from my computer so I didn't have all the superfluous junk from an old iCloud sync from my old phone. Yesterday with typical usage, I was at 100% at 8am when I left the house and never plugged the phone in all day long. At 5:30 when I left the office I was only down to about 65%. Went to dinner, ran some errands at the mall, and was at about 20% by 10:00. I thought that was pretty good, very impressed! I was worried based on posts here about battery life but so far my experience with this device has been a good one.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:00 PM   #989
berniemakaveli
Banned

On LTE I got about 5 hours the past few days. Yesterday I decided to stay on wifi all day and got about 8hrs and 30 minutes. Not the 10 Apple advirtises but better than 5 :/
berniemakaveli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:27 PM   #990
markthrash
macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't know whether it's the fact that I use my phone too much or if this battery really does drain too fast. I remember with my iPhone 4, I could go 2 days without charging it and not have to worry. Now, I'm lucky to last until 10pm. It is now 4:30pm and my battery is at 14%.

I noticed that when I tried to recalibrate it the other night, it stayed on at 1% for a good forty minutes before shutting off. And recalibrating it didn't help in my case. Boo.
-Apple TV 3rd Generation
markthrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:31 AM   #991
oicyu8chu
macrumors newbie

The battery is pretty great so far, considering I get a constant 2-3 bar signal from AT&T and using location services. I've turned off cellular since I'm at home.
oicyu8chu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:39 AM   #992
eeguh
macrumors member

Mostly calling, text messages, and some browsing. I usually turn off LTE or wifi when not using internet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).PNG
Views:	30
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	376708  
eeguh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:58 AM   #993
YUOWI
macrumors newbie

The I Wentworth thru 80% of my battery life in less than 2 hours
YUOWI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:51 AM   #994
Jav0n
macrumors newbie

I typically get between 6 - 7 hours. Use Bluetooth quite often, but turn it off when it's not in use of course. Few phone calls during the day, a bunch at night. LTE OFF, location services off unless I need it, wifi on when I'm home. Brightness at about 35 - 40 % w/ auto on, manually check email.

This particular instance I pulled off 10 hrs. Only thing I changed was the fact that I didn't use Bluetooth at all the whole day and instead of being in my bedroom of my apartment for most the day, I spent all day in my living room where I get a stronger signal. Signal in my bedroom can suck at times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	376783  
Jav0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:08 PM   #995
stoneland
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
How's this?
Attachment 375937
I think that's fine. That's kind of similar to my "normal" use. I very rarely get over 7 hours on my phone. Average is around 5-6 hours. But I am always using it...even when the signal is spotty (like in the subway). So the phone is always switching from LTE to 4G to E or nothing and back, for example. Which doesn't bother me because I use my phone to use it and I'm not focused on getting as much battery life from it as possible
stoneland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #996
cfcboy
macrumors regular

I thought my battery was cack then realised Star Wars angry birds was absolutely slaughtering my battery (doh)
cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:43 PM   #997
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down Really Disappointed.

I picked up my 32GB AT&T iPhone 5 last Wednesday and thus far I am really bummed with the battery life. My iPhone 4 (which this is replacing) is two years old and it did much better for me.

I have bluetooth off, wifi off when not in use, location support disabled for all but a couple apps and brightness set as low as possible and I can barely make it through a day of nominal usage (some emails, some messaging, a couple phone calls and some light browsing) without needing to recharge. My iPhone 4 could handle the same tasks and only require recharging once every 1.5 to 2 days.

I am not going to disable LTE or iMessaging as that makes this phone pointless to me.

What gives???
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:32 PM   #998
sixers610
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawhochun View Post
Amen
sixers610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:43 PM   #999
Ahonen
macrumors regular

What in the name of all that is holy happened here? I had to upload this because I can't believe it. I've never before gotten even close to this kind of battery life. I have wifi and cellular enabled but LTE off, BT off, I have auto brightness on, and I used the phone for calling, some browsing, some iHeartRadio, a lot of iMessage and a lot of music. I'm pretty satisfied with iPhone 5 battery life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	377100  
Ahonen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1000
sixers610
macrumors newbie

Looks like my battery "charges" as fast as it drains.
sixers610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone