Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1051
Jungle Jack
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Hello,
For those who are having really disappointing results, I highly recommend downloading Carat. It is from UC Berkeley's Amp Lab and it gathers information about your iP and provides you with a Score, Bug Report, and Hog Report. Check out the reviews for it as they all seem quite positive.
Cheers,
JJ
Jungle Jack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1052
MattBookBower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bournemouth, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneland View Post
This seems like fair usage to me. Some people are really hoping for 10+ usage on a single charge...but the fact is that if you USE your phone it's going to run the battery down. I get anywhere between 5-7 hours of usage before it drains completely.
This is what confuses me, I mean I have been using it quite a bit, but just for general things, rather than streaming or watching videos etc, no locations turned on and I'm now on 49%...

Usage - 3 hours 6 mins
Standby - 7 hours 53 mins

I just think it's draining quicker than it should for some reason...

Thanks for your reply though.
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1053
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Thanks for the reply, but on what basis? I have posted in another thread and they are saying that amount of usage is normal?

I'm now down to...

Usage - 2 hours
Standby - 4 Hours 50 Minutes

The battery stands at 61%.

If others belive I might need to see a genius then understand.

Screen brightness is at around 40% and have only got a few things that have location services turned on...
Nowhere near what I get. I would probably be at 80% with that usage. Something is wrong.

Edit: see attached. Over 2 hours usage and 83%. Of course, 2 hours can be a lot of different kinds of usage, but still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	377673  
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1054
MattBookBower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bournemouth, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Nowhere near what I get. I would probably be at 80% with that usage. Something is wrong.

Edit: see attached. Over 2 hours usage and 83%. Of course, 2 hours can be a lot of different kinds of usage, but still.
Yeah I do think something is not right either if I'm honest.

What I have attached is my current sit-rep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	377683  
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1055
yanki01
macrumors 68000
 
yanki01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
from the battery life thread...

16GB AT&T LTE and WiFi. Safari, text, email, Facebook, no games and no music. pretty damn good if you ask me. I actually couldn't get this thing to die and I was at 1% for 20mins until I decided to take a screen shot then plug it in. I love this battery.

Thumb resize.
I just beat my previous calibration by ALOT with an extra 4hrs of standby. I LOVE this battery. all the same but only 1 game this time and maybe for 10mins, pandora for 30mins. this time the phone died with about 10hrs and 25mins of usage. I just didnt get a screen shot of it.

Thumb resize.
__________________
Flickr || 15" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro || iPhone 6 || Apple TV || iPod nano || iPod shuffle
yanki01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1056
MattBookBower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bournemouth, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
I just beat my previous calibration by ALOT with an extra 4hrs of standby. I LOVE this battery. all the same but only 1 game this time and maybe for 10mins, pandora for 30mins. this time the phone died with about 10hrs and 25mins of usage. I just didnt get a screen shot of it.

Thumb resize.
Them screen shots definately lead me to believe I've got an issues with mine...
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:51 AM   #1057
MusclezMarinara
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Here's my crappy battery life ... Advice to fix?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353084692.433112.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	377691
__________________
Musclez Marinara
MBPR i7 | 3GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Cinema Thunderbolt 27"
iPhone 5 | Black | 64GB | AT&T
imac i5 | 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 500GB
MusclezMarinara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1058
Semp1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Hey first post and ill be honest I get constant texts through out the day and my iPhone battery gets destroyed with in 6 hours. I keep auto brightness off and the brightness at about 30% consistently. I shut most of the "hidden" location services off and try and keep bluetooth and wifi off when I'm not using it. The simple fact is a phone with LTE just isn't going to be crazy when it comes to the battery. Shutting LTE off will boost the battery life dramatically. Unfortunately for those on anything but AT&T sacrifice fast speeds with LTE off. With AT&T in NYC with LTE on I get an average of 40mbps with a max of 57mbps dl speeds and with it off just using HSPA+ I get about 7-14mbps on average. So either way in NYC the data service is good. I know Verizon is only getting 1mbps with LTE off using their cdma tech and Sprint doesn't even have LTE coverage in NYC so the options are scarce unless you have AT&T here when it comes to conserving battery life.
Semp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1059
yanki01
macrumors 68000
 
yanki01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Here's my crappy battery life ... Advice to fix?

Attachment 377691
it depends on what you use?
yanki01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1060
simercool
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Delhi
Happy with mine as i play games alot..

simercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1061
KidStallyn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Here's my crappy battery life ... Advice to fix?

Attachment 377691
Im in the same boat. This is my second phone. I've followed the DFU restore instructions, set up as a new phone.....turned virtually everything off. I've reset all settings. The other night I even did an erase everything and started over. I'm really getting frustrated. I have to carry the cord with me wherever I go. The only thing I do is listen to music and check facebook and twitter. that's it. There's no reason why the battery should drain so flippin fast. I lost 3% driving into work this morning, and I didn't do ANYTHING. Screen off, no music, nothing.....

Im really considering heading to the apple store today......
__________________
Follow My Attempt to Qualify for the Boston Marathon at: http://kidstallyn.blogspot.com
LIVESTRONG
KidStallyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1062
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidStallyn View Post
Im in the same boat. This is my second phone. I've followed the DFU restore instructions, set up as a new phone.....turned virtually everything off. I've reset all settings. The other night I even did an erase everything and started over. I'm really getting frustrated. I have to carry the cord with me wherever I go. The only thing I do is listen to music and check facebook and twitter. that's it. There's no reason why the battery should drain so flippin fast. I lost 3% driving into work this morning, and I didn't do ANYTHING. Screen off, no music, nothing.....

Im really considering heading to the apple store today......
You should take it in. I don't know what's up with it, but that's awful and not as it should be. Unfortunately, you've done all the things I can think of to suggest. Perhaps you have a rogue app?
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1063
MusclezMarinara
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
it depends on what you use?
Today mostly texting
Some email and light web browsing over LTE should I wipe and start fresh?
__________________
Musclez Marinara
MBPR i7 | 3GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Cinema Thunderbolt 27"
iPhone 5 | Black | 64GB | AT&T
imac i5 | 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 500GB
MusclezMarinara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1064
yanki01
macrumors 68000
 
yanki01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Today mostly texting
Some email and light web browsing over LTE should I wipe and start fresh?
i would start there.

i get in the habbit of deleting any apps running in the background throughout the day. notice i always have bluetooth on and WiFi is also always on along with push email. brightness is about 40% and locations are on.

----------

iCloud could also have a major effect on your battery.
__________________
Flickr || 15" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro || iPhone 6 || Apple TV || iPod nano || iPod shuffle
yanki01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1065
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mine.

WiFi On, BT Off, 3G On, Location Services On and Auto-Brightness On.

Usage = Music for about 1hr, brief Web surfing and YouTube, 1 or 2 Calls (including Skype), few SMS and Whatsapp, tons of iMessage, brief Maps, brief Bejewelled, Push Email (3 accounts), Push Contacts, and Push Calendar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	54
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	377742  
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini

Last edited by daneoni; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1066
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Seeing this kind of battery life amazes me. It's like iPad battery life. I think we all expected pretty bad battery, I mean the 4S had average battery life from what I saw.

I guess it's due to how Apple made/packaged the other internals, because it's certainly not the 1400-something battery. 7+ hours of screen time is pretty damn good.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1067
MusclezMarinara
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
i would start there.

i get in the habbit of deleting any apps running in the background throughout the day. notice i always have bluetooth on and WiFi is also always on along with push email. brightness is about 40% and locations are on.

----------

iCloud could also have a major effect on your battery.
Me too always closing apps hardly using wifi but I will try to shut off LTE maybe that will help. Just sucks to limit a device.
__________________
Musclez Marinara
MBPR i7 | 3GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Cinema Thunderbolt 27"
iPhone 5 | Black | 64GB | AT&T
imac i5 | 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 500GB
MusclezMarinara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1068
jimi78
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Send a message via AIM to jimi78
Started to recalibrate my second 5 after first had horrid battery life and this is my new happy result! Really starting to love this phone more now ha. I'll probably drain it one more time but this is regular use and even letting pandora stream going to sleep while on iOS timer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	377905  
jimi78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1069
D A
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I've gotten some pretty amazing battery life so far. It's still running despite sitting on 1% for nearly 5 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	377956  
D A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1070
BBtoIP5
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I've turned off Bluetooth, Location Services, Push. I have Auto-Brightness on, and Fetch hourly.

There is no LTE where I live. The left screenshot is with 3G on, the right screenshot is with 3G off. Everything else is set exactly the same. Obviously having 3G/4G/LTE on will drain considerable battery.

My girlfriend and I have the exact same setup, and our batteries drain at about the same rate. My brother has everything turned on, BT, Location Services, 3G, and yet he gets longer batter life.

The only difference between all 3 of us is.. he has a new sim which he got last year. My gf's and I have sims that are about 6 years old.

So I'm wondering if having an older SIM will cause more data or battery drain on the iphone? I'm thinking about changing to a new SIM and see if there's any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).PNG
Views:	42
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	377979   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	377980  
BBtoIP5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1071
animatedude
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtoIP5 View Post
I've turned off Bluetooth, Location Services, Push. I have Auto-Brightness on, and Fetch hourly.

There is no LTE where I live. The left screenshot is with 3G on, the right screenshot is with 3G off. Everything else is set exactly the same. Obviously having 3G/4G/LTE on will drain considerable battery.

My girlfriend and I have the exact same setup, and our batteries drain at about the same rate. My brother has everything turned on, BT, Location Services, 3G, and yet he gets longer batter life.

The only difference between all 3 of us is.. he has a new sim which he got last year. My gf's and I have sims that are about 6 years old.

So I'm wondering if having an older SIM will cause more data or battery drain on the iphone? I'm thinking about changing to a new SIM and see if there's any difference.

6 years old?! how can you use a 6 year old sim in there?! the iPhone 5 uses a nano sim now so i don't know how you have a SIM card in there..
animatedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1072
Drmedic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
6 years old?! how can you use a 6 year old sim in there?! the iPhone 5 uses a nano sim now so i don't know how you have a SIM card in there..
Quite easily, you can cut your old sim into a nano sim yourself.
Drmedic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1073
Hunts121
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Hunts121 Send a message via Yahoo to Hunts121
I've had decent battery life with my 5. I didn't screen cap (I will just so ya don't think I'm BS'n) but I was at 4 hrs 17min usage and about 18.5hrs standby with the battery at 71% this morning.

Overall its no worse than my iPhone 4 (never had a 4S) so far. I don't know if it helps but I didn't restore from backup as some do, but started as a new phone (used to jailbreak what can I say). No issues so far.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro Core i7 @ 2.7GHz - 8GB RAM - 500GB HDD - SuperDrive - OS 10.8.1 - 32GB iPhone 5 (AT&T)
Hunts121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1074
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I am wondering if my battery life is good. i just checked usage and it reads:

Time Since last charge
Usage: 4 hours, 23 Mintues
Standby: 12 Hours, 5 minutes

I am currently at 30% battery life....
I did a lot of data on LTE and some WIFI...alot of twitter and face book and alot of messages...some web broswint and 3 calls no longer then 1 minute each.... so is this good?
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1075
MusclezMarinara
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Them screen shots definately lead me to believe I've got an issues with mine...
For real....maybe i have to wipe my phone :/
__________________
Musclez Marinara
MBPR i7 | 3GHz | 8GB | 500GB | Cinema Thunderbolt 27"
iPhone 5 | Black | 64GB | AT&T
imac i5 | 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 500GB
MusclezMarinara is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7.1 - Battery Drain (merged) VanillaCracker iOS 7 474 Aug 19, 2014 01:33 AM
What is normal battery life for iPhone 5 with a new battery? dragonjinse iPhone 3 Nov 30, 2013 10:05 PM
General: 6.1 battery thread (merged) Knockoutjosie iOS 6 228 Mar 4, 2013 03:09 PM
iPhone 5 Battery Life/Usage Screens [MERGED] zbarvian iPhone 436 Dec 16, 2012 11:20 AM
Do battery juice pack cases affect the iPhone battery life? saintforlife iPhone 3 Jun 1, 2012 07:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC