Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:46 AM   #101
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Location services are still a drain, just as they are on every other iPhone. If you see the little triangle/arrow on your status bar, it means you've got an app running in the background that is constantly polling your GPS. Double-tap your home button to close that app to eliminate the battery drain. Also, in Settings -> Privacy, only enable location services for those apps that you want to poll your location.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 AM   #102
anthdci
macrumors 6502

mine has been pretty good. I gave it a full charge when i got it. Then ran it down to 2%, full charge again. Now it on 34% with 4 hours 52mins usage and 1day 7 hours standby That is no LTE, wifi always on, bluetooth always off
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:58 AM   #103
SayCheese
macrumors 6502a

Thanks all.
Well to report, the battery life is much better after that discharge and full recharge for about 8 hours. However, it's still draining quicker than I'd like.
I am hoping that another of the same today will sort it out completely.
SayCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:04 AM   #104
bkea
macrumors regular

Just charged mine, so I can't post any screenshots now. Will post some tomorrow.

Mine would currently be something like

Usage:2 hrs
Standbye: 8-9 hrs

Not that happy with this...

Edit: This was with LTE turned off. I also lost 16% in 1 1/2 hrs, while in flight mode.

Last edited by bkea; Sep 24, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
bkea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:12 AM   #105
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Tomorrow will be the first work day since iPhone 5, and I'll have a better idea what battery life is really like.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:16 AM   #106
tkwlee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayCheese View Post
Thanks all.
Well to report, the battery life is much better after that discharge and full recharge for about 8 hours. However, it's still draining quicker than I'd like.
I am hoping that another of the same today will sort it out completely.
Just curious if you have restored any backup from previous iPhone. Thx
tkwlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:19 AM   #107
er15
macrumors member

I am currently on 25% with 7 hours and 28 minutes use of usage!
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:30 AM   #108
ihonda
macrumors 65816

i made it with 6h 43m of usage, 1day 8h 34m of stand by before it shut off... doing a battery calibration now.

(this was 4G usage) no LTE. gaming, safari, pandora, phone and texts, i think there was even maybe 20mins of nav.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:41 AM   #109
Carniphage
macrumors 68000

I am starting to think there is an issue with iPhone 5 battery use.

Mine discharges very fast in use. I initially thought it was a battery calibration issue, because the device is new.

But after a few cycles the problem remains.
Yesterday I left the house on a full charge, but a few hours of moderate use the percentage dived down and by 7PM the phone was dead.

The GPS/Navigating mode in Maps seems to be a major culprit. But other moderate uses also tear through the battery very fast indeed.

There's a number of threads on the Apple forums with people seeing the same thing.

Given the lack of coverage of this issue, perhaps its not affecting all users. If it is not all users. Then it's either a quirk in the software/settings, or a manufacturing defect.

A fix that works for everyone would prove that it's not a hardware defect.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:47 AM   #110
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502

Battery drain overnight iphone 5

Is anyone having issues with about a 20% battery drain overnight. Should be no more than 5% usually. It appears in the stats there was about 3 hrs of usage . Have very few notifications and only 1 push account(was never an issue) Checked location services and no app appeared to ask overnight. Even closed off apps in the tray.

I heard there maybe some type of wifi issue (maybe or maybe not related to the speed thing) that the phone is usimg resources trying to connect.

Also does anyone know the affects of DO NOT DISTURB on overnight batt life ? Would think it helps
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:54 AM   #111
jimmirehman
macrumors regular

why wouldnt your phone be plugged in overnight?
jimmirehman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:55 AM   #112
virtuosity
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmirehman View Post
why wouldnt your phone be plugged in overnight?
Inspiring... I wonder if the OP thought of that...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:55 AM   #113
SayCheese
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwlee View Post
Just curious if you have restored any backup from previous iPhone. Thx
No, I set the phone up from new. Purposely didn't want to restore from a back up and so only downloaded calendar, contacts etc from iCloud.
SayCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:57 AM   #114
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuosity View Post
Inspiring... I wonder if the OP thought of that...
The reply seemed good to me.

I wonder if you thought?
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:59 AM   #115
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502

Sorry yes should have clarified. Thats not the point for me. I dont have it plugged in nor do i usually due to my outlet situation. More interested in why there was usage accumulated when it shld have been all standby.
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 AM   #116
raremage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsjetsfan View Post
Sorry yes should have clarified. Thats not the point for me. I dont have it plugged in nor do i usually due to my outlet situation. More interested in why there was usage accumulated when it shld have been all standby.
Push email? iCloud sync? iCloud backup running? Other processes in the background?

I have Exchange sync setup to push on mine and I saw about 6% drain between midnight and 7:00 AM.

I suggest rebooting the phone just before you go to bed tonight to clear any unexpected process and see what the drain is overnight. Does it improve? If yes, probably something you had running, if not, then maybe a trip to the Apple store.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:15 AM   #117
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsjetsfan View Post
Is anyone having issues with about a 20% battery drain overnight. Should be no more than 5% usually.
Overnight battery drain of 5%? Whaaaaat?!?!?

More like 25-50%... DO NOT DISTURB turns the vibrate and ringer off, not the phone nor data connection. LOL
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:15 AM   #118
jimmirehman
macrumors regular

Well icloud does its backup in the middle of the night so if it was the firs tbackup from the iphone 5 or you had some major changes that needed to be backed up or some sort of network congestion, slowing down the icloud backup, it would drain the battery.

I'm partially confused about this not charging overnight situation. Since my very first cell phone, its always been standard procedure to plug it in overnight to charge, same with laptops, bluetooth headsets, pretty much anything that i need to have a full battery throughout the day. Are there really people who do not charge their phones over night? Not being a dick, just seriously wondering.
jimmirehman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:19 AM   #119
cfairbank
macrumors 6502

Took mine off the charger at midnight and messed around for 20 minutes. I was still at 100% when I put it down. When I woke up 6 hours later I was at 98%. Not too bad.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:22 AM   #120
vbtwo31984
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
Overnight battery drain of 5%? Whaaaaat?!?!?

More like 25-50%... DO NOT DISTURB turns the vibrate and ringer off, not the phone nor data connection. LOL
Something's really wrong with your phone if it drains 25-50% overnight. The standby time is measured in days, it should not drain so quickly.
vbtwo31984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:24 AM   #121
thet3chbr0th3r5
macrumors member

My battery on my iPhone 4S would drain about 10% sometimes overnight when leaving it unplugged
YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/thet3chbr0th3r5
thet3chbr0th3r5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:27 AM   #122
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmirehman View Post
Well icloud does its backup in the middle of the night so if it was the firs tbackup from the iphone 5 or you had some major changes that needed to be backed up or some sort of network congestion, slowing down the icloud backup, it would drain the battery.

I'm partially confused about this not charging overnight situation. Since my very first cell phone, its always been standard procedure to plug it in overnight to charge, same with laptops, bluetooth headsets, pretty much anything that i need to have a full battery throughout the day. Are there really people who do not charge their phones over night? Not being a dick, just seriously wondering.
I don't use iCloud for backup so I'm not certain but doesn't your phone have to be plugged in to a power source for backup to be activated?

Update: Just looked in the iCloud backup settings on my iPad and it does have to be plugged in so iCloud backup could not have been the culprit.
tbayrgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:32 AM   #123
tkwlee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post
Mine discharges very fast in use. I initially thought it was a battery calibration issue, because the device is new.

But after a few cycles the problem remains.
Yesterday I left the house on a full charge, but a few hours of moderate use the percentage dived down and by 7PM the phone was dead.

The GPS/Navigating mode in Maps seems to be a major culprit. But other moderate uses also tear through the battery very fast indeed.

There's a number of threads on the Apple forums with people seeing the same thing.

Given the lack of coverage of this issue, perhaps its not affecting all users. If it is not all users. Then it's either a quirk in the software/settings, or a manufacturing defect.

A fix that works for everyone would prove that it's not a hardware defect.
Will it help after turning off GPS? Or it helps when turning off Maps' GPS?
tkwlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:33 AM   #124
GaryC
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbtwo31984 View Post
Something's really wrong with your phone if it drains 25-50% overnight. The standby time is measured in days, it should not drain so quickly.
I had 100% when I left home this morning and after a 1.5 hr commute and maybe 30 mins playing music, I was left with 60%. Although I can turn more stuff off, there is nothing on the Iphone 5 that wasn't running on the Iphone 4 (apart from siri)

I don't know where the days estimate of standby time comes from as I doubt I'd get through the working day!
GaryC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:41 AM   #125
kingdLo
macrumors regular

Do people not set up their new phones as new and not restore from a backup??

This was from last night before I plugged it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	362334  
kingdLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone