Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I really dig this case. Super slim, seems like good protection, good fit, and cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Atmosphere-Case-iPhone-Clear/dp/B0093CDLM0

I have the poetic bumper and a Smoke colored TPU as well.

ZVfYQ.jpg

Ng0QD.jpg

9SR70.jpg

Last edited:

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I got the clear poetic case, and can't get the phone in it without really forcing it. I'm afraid I'll scratch up the phone putting it on and taking it off... That's how difficult it was.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Mine required a bit of give (just an extra push getting it on), but I found getting it off more difficult. The trick to getting it off is prying at one of the two vertical ends and getting both corners (I did the non-vibrate, volume button side to avoid that vibrate switch from potentially getting knicked).

But I didn't detect any scratches or anything. And I don't plan on taking it off all the time if at all. only did because i had a piece of dirt visible between the phone and case on the back when I first put it on.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I have this one on order. Can't wait to get it. It shipped today even though I ordered it about a week ago. Not sure why it's taking so long but whatever.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have this one on order. Can't wait to get it. It shipped today even though I ordered it about a week ago. Not sure why it's taking so long but whatever.

probably was backordered.

ship date is now september 28th... if you're getting from Exact-Deal on Amazon.

I don't want to pump it up too much, but it reminds me of a hybrid of:
Incipio NGP smoke color/look (with the black iPhone at least, probably misty white with the white 5) and CandyShell, but thinner than both.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I got the clear poetic case, and can't get the phone in it without really forcing it. I'm afraid I'll scratch up the phone putting it on and taking it off... That's how difficult it was.

Nice case but man hearing this and with the whole scuff gate with the edge metal bands being chipped off, these hard plastic cases scare me

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Nice case but man hearing this and with the whole scuff gate with the edge metal bands being chipped off, these hard plastic cases scare me

You are right to be scared. I decided to remove this one for once and for all, and get something a little gentler to deal with. I like a squishy (for lack of a better term) case anyway, to reduce slipping.

I'm happy to report that there are still no scuffs on my phone, but I broke 3 nails and pinched the s*** out of my thumb trying to get the stupid thing off. I was actually pretty shocked that it didn't scratch up my phone. Into the trash it goes, and my phone is now resting in a lovely Oberon Design cell phone sleeve (my daughter's) while I decide what it will be wearing on a regular basis.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
But once its on, it's done.

I'd imagine for silicone cases, the looseness of it will easily let dirt in and cause a nice little grind on the aluminum.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I also have this case coming from amazon, shipped two days ago, but I won't get my black phone until next weekend at the earliest. The case looks gorgeous, but I am also a little worried about it being so hard to get on and off. But I suppose once it goes own I won't be taking it off alot. I'd hate to chip my phone though.

djgcue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I have this case. Although it was a tight fit, it went on easy. I started from the top than moved to the left side than right side than bottom.

I've removed the case two times already with no issues. Removing was a bit more difficult, I found it best to remove starting with the bottom (basically, work backwards from how I put it on).

The case is actually a soft rubbery plastic so it shouldn't scuff the sides.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I have one of these showing up soon, to see if I like it better than the Photive Natural I'm currently rocking. I'm a little worried about the fit too--I don't want to try it on, then discover I can't remove it!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
you definitely can remove it.

requires a bit of force but i've done it a few times.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Are you guys using the case with a screen protector? Wondering if it will fit with a front and back protector.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
My Poetic Atmosphere came today. I really like it. It seems like a great compromise between the protective bulk of the STM Harbour and the minimal form factor of the Photive Natural Slim.

The TPU bumpers around the edge (which are soft and shouldn't chip the finish, btw) do make the phone a little wider and taller than with the Natural Slim, by maybe a mm or two either way. In that way, it's similar to the Harbour. However, it's not nearly as thick as the Harbour, and is damned close to the same thinness as the Natural Slim.

The bezel is taller, at maybe a mm vs. a small fraction of a mm for the Natural Slim, but that gives much more of an obvious lay on table design. Being continuous around the edge also means that if it's laying partially off a table, it's not resting on the screen. The Natural Slim's standoffs are only at the corners, and has that risk.

I like the top and bottom coverage a lot, especially coming from the Natural Slim which, similar to the Ringke, has pretty much none except at the corners. The bumper is soft enough that covering the power button isn't an issue (unlike the Splash Medley, which was a nightmare). The bottom has coverage sculpted to the ports and speakers. However, be aware that really thick headphone plugs may have issues there--the clearance isn't huge. My Klipsch S5is and Shure 530s were fine. I'd expect my full-size V6s to require a little stretching there. YMMV.

The texture is a mixed bag for me. I like how it looks a lot, with the "clear" looking very nicely frosted over my slate iPhone. However, it's more slippery than either the Harbour or the Natural Slim in my hand. It's not bad on fabric (i.e. balanced on my knee) but I think sweat affects it more than the rubberized surfaces on the others. The bumper around the sides is gripper, so it's stable in hand because of that.

Re: getting it in and out,

I put the case on and pulled it off a few times, both to get the phone and case inside completely clean, and to see how the process went. It was definitely not the easiest case I've used, but I'm not worried for the phone.

Someone touched on this above, but here's what worked for me.

Directions are as if you're looking at the face of the phone.

On:

Put the left side of the phone into the case, guiding the cutout over the switch and the buttons into the bumper. You may have to do a corner at a time, but I had good luck just sort of stretching the bumper over the whole left side.

Make sure you push the phone all the way to the left so the buttons and switch go where they're supposed to, and so the bumper's tight.

Push the top right corner in, making sure the bumper goes over the power button.

Push the bottom right corner in.

Off:

Pull at the bumper at the bottom right corner. Be firm, and you can get it over the edge of the phone relatively easily.

Now, use the bottom cutout to reach under the phone and push the bottom right corner all the way out.

Use the exposed edge to pull the top right corner out.

Now you can pretty much just pull the phone to the right and it'll pop out. Do it over your couch or a bed; I dropped mine once doing this (luckily, onto a soft mattress!)

So yeah, bit of a pain. But it is very secure when on. I wouldn't worry about a drop popping it off, and with the soft bumpers I think it may actually have decent drop protection at the sides and corners.

Overall, really good case. I think the better drop protection while still being extremely slim puts this a step above the Photive Natural for me. I'm going to keep the Atmosphere on at least until the Caze Zero arrives (last one I'm trying out!).

Last edited:

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I like this case for the cheap price and decent quality.... At least until my iDAmerica case, bookbook, lifeproof and contour showcase show up.:D

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
I got this case this morning. I really like it. Its a bit tough to get on and off but with a bit of perseverance you get the knack of it. My only gripe is the bottom section around the lightning connector is a bit loose. Check out the youtube video mentioned earlier to see what I mean. But for the price I think its an excellent case. Looks great on a white i5.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I got this case this morning. I really like it. Its a bit tough to get on and off but with a bit of perseverance you get the knack of it. My only gripe is the bottom section around the lightning connector is a bit loose. Check out the youtube video mentioned earlier to see what I mean. But for the price I think its an excellent case. Looks great on a white i5.

Haven't looked at the vid, but if you mean the strip between the home button and port, I agree. Wish they'd made that one portion a little more structured. I'm quickly getting used to it, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.