Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
JCiVt.jpg

MdRnd.jpg

CcR1J.jpg

6cA7J.jpg

yJLro.jpg

Like it a lot so far. The rubber seems to be a little better than the previous gen; maybe we won't have the flaking problem. The sound comes out fine through the speaker holes and the previous weak points - namely the area above the dock connector - don't seem to be prone to breaking as much.

It definitely adds some bulk but compared to the IPhone 4/4S with a Candyshell on, the the 5 still feels slim and light. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I tried one on today at the att store but wanted to check out others before I bought it. Any problems when taking a picture with the flash on..does it give the picture a muffled look? Also, any way you can post your screen picture I really like it

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Any scuffing?

I'm also interested in this. I bought a CaseCrown Lux glider for my black iPhone 5 and it nicked the slate part that is so sensitive on the band, I didn't put it on because i don't want to scratch it up further with this case.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
The coating on candyshell cases will always rub and peel off eventually over time.

tju317

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I'm also interested in this. I bought a CaseCrown Lux glider for my black iPhone 5 and it nicked the slate part that is so sensitive on the band, I didn't put it on because i don't want to scratch it up further with this case.

Bummer. I guess I won't install it.

tju317

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah I was totally bummed about it, the nick isn't that bad but I really want a case on the phone ASAP. Probably going to head out to Best Buy and check out the selection.

I was able to find a white/gray Speck Candyshell at my local Target yesterday. Even the workers did not know it was there. It will say "New iPhone" on it. Good luck!

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Any scuffing?
I'll get back to you next week
I tried one on today at the att store but wanted to check out others before I bought it. Any problems when taking a picture with the flash on..does it give the picture a muffled look? Also, any way you can post your screen picture I really like it

None that I have noticed.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Can someone please tell me how much these go for? I purchased one from the speck website for $35 which seems kid of steep.

Are they widely available?

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Every Candyshell I've ever owned has cracked at the bottom after a couple of months.

megsalias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Mobile, AL
The coating on candyshell cases will always rub and peel off eventually over time.

I've been using CandyShells for years and have never had that problem. I do notice that the cases that have lighter colored edging get dirty very easily, and the edging is difficult to clean.

I bought the Flip version this time, and I really like it so far.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I'm considering this case also. I currently have the Casemate Tough case, which I actually like so far but I like to try a couple before I decide for sure.

I'm in the same boat as the above post though, DAMN it is REALLY tempting to go naked with this little gem, even more so than the last iphone. I just feel like it loses so much when it's covered...

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
I like the case a lot so far. I've never had a candy shell before so I don't know what to compare It to but I have the speck candy shell flip for the I5 and so far it's very sleek and very well made, so well made I may keep over the otterbox commuter I have on the way. I don't know about their paint chipping or bottom breaking but with pretty sure certainly I don't foresee this case scratching or scuffing the edges. The rubber is durable yet soft enough that it has playability

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
If anyone is interested here is a few pics of my iPhone 5 in the black and slate Candyshell. Sorry for the poor quality pics, taken with iPad:

img0028wb.jpg

img0027oh.jpg

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I got one from Best Buy. When I first got there they claimed they were out of everything except pink. Afterwards I noticed an entire unopened box marked "Speck" sitting on the desk in the Mobile section of the store. I went back and asked if someone could open it and see if they had any black Candyshell cases in the box, and luckily for me they had a whole box full of them!

Looks good. How is the fitment and is there any scuffs if removing it?

The fit is very tight. Also, there are no scuffs so far when removing the case, the rubber interior seems to prevent this problem altogether. I think it will be a very good case, much better than the CaseCrown one I had originally.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I was able to find a white/gray Speck Candyshell at my local Target yesterday. Even the workers did not know it was there. It will say "New iPhone" on it. Good luck!

I've called 3 Targets in my area and they all say they don't have them. Maybe this is why. Did you see if they had just the regular candyshell or also the grip or satin versions?

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
picked up a black one at Futureshop yesterday before picking up my phone. Fits like a glove, no flash issues from what I can tell. My phone already had scuffs/nicks on it when I bought it :mad: so that's a non-issue about the case. In experience with the same case for my 4s it fits so tight it leaves no room for debris to get between the case and the phone to scratch it up.

button feel is precise and they work with little pressure, cutouts are plenty large enough for majority of headphones and lightning cable. All in all its a nice and protective case.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I bought a CaseCrown Lux glider for my black iPhone 5 and it nicked the slate part that is so sensitive on the band, I didn't put it on because i don't want to scratch it up further with this case.

Did you get the email from Casecrown about the felt being too thick and not fitting right? They are offering a refund or replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.