Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:22 PM   #126
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

I just exchanged my white/gray Candy at AT&T because the gray rubber was dis-colored
mpossoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:24 PM   #127
dellAbait
macrumors member

It's not for me. I bought the black one this morning and it's already been returned. It's sturdy and tight but it's way too bulky and it totally ruins the look of the phone.
dellAbait is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:26 PM   #128
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellAbait View Post
It's not for me. I bought the black one this morning and it's already been returned. It's sturdy and tight but it's way too bulky and it totally ruins the look of the phone.
I have a white iPhone so the white/gray combo looks sweet. I hope the replacement I got will be ok
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:41 PM   #129
hockey17
macrumors regular

well I was drunk all yesterday for homecoming and my phone slid all the way across a road in this case.

Case held up well and phone is in perfect shape.

Passed the drunk college kid test.
hockey17 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:55 PM   #130
TG1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
It is flaking on mine. I have the gloss black one.
Sadly, I am also seeing a very little bit of the rubber flaking on my black Satin version. I otherwise LOVE this case for the looks, touch, and protection it offers. I'll probably just let it wear over the next several months and get a new case if it gets really bad.
TG1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:26 PM   #131
Macguy76
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
I'm also intrigued by the "Satin" version of the Candyshell which has a soft touch back which is supposed to be far more grippy and resistant to scratching. Anyone give this one a go?
I got one from the Speck Website. So far,I love it!
 Unlocked iPhone 5S-64GB
Macguy76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:02 PM   #132
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Exchanged my white/gray Candy a couple of days ago because the gray was getting discolored. Now my replacement is starting to get discolored.

With my past iPhones I had issues with the flaking.

I always wanted to like Speck Candy but the issues are disappointing
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:36 AM   #133
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Just wondering, does anyone think the case is too slippery? I LOVE how it looks on the white iphone5 but I am just worried about dropping it or it being too slippery. I know there is the grip version that would help, but I am not the biggest fan of the colors they offer. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
kalexn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #134
gtmac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post
SO, the one thing that has been on my mind... Is the rubber on this generation of Candyshell's flaking like it did on previous generations?
It is flaking on my black gloss as well.
gtmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:00 PM   #135
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

I had a Speck Candyshell on my 3GS, and just got one for my iphone 5. Here are my findings:

Pros:

1. Great protection from drops. The rubber inside seems like it will absorb impact shock, and the lip will help for face drops.

2. Attractive imo. Really clean design and good construction. Fits well with the iphone design.

Cons:

1. Will scratch your phone over time. It's either the rubber or particles getting in between the rubber and the phone. The edges of my 3GS ended up scratched all over with the shell on. While the new case for the 5 seems to have a new rubber, I wouldn't trust this case for the following reason:

2. The fit for getting your phone in and out is TOO TIGHT. While this provides a great fit if you just leave the phone in there forever, I am sure that ingress and egress is damaging the buttons (power, volume, rocker). While it can take so much damage, one time is all it takes to ruin one. The tight fit also makes for scratches. I have put my 5 in twice, and removed it twice so far without problems. But I am not confident about the long run.

3. The speck case itself is highly prone to scratches. It's only been 2 days and the back as hairline scratches all over. If anything like my 3GS case, it will also scuff and dull over time. The bottom lip on my 3GS ripped down the middle as well.

overall I don't recommend the speck case. It's designed to protect your phone, but seems to introduce more damage. If you don't mind scratches, then go for it. I think it provides great drop protection. I dropped it once getting out of my car, and it slid on a gravel road. No damage whatsoever from the road.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:37 PM   #136
BDoggPrelude
macrumors regular

I got the Candyshell Satin Black/Slate for myself and the Speck Smartflex Card in Malachite for my wife. This is my first Speck case but my wife has had a few Candyshell cases for her 3GS. I always thought they were great cases. The only issue she ran into with the old ones was the edge around the 30-pin connector breaking after a while. The iPhone 5 cases have a much shorter bridge now between the two sides and it is not as thin so I don't think this will be an issue with the new ones.

I don't really care if it get scratched up eventually. I don't buy a case under the assumption that it will last the life of the phone. I buy a case that takes a beating and gets scratched up so my phone doesn't bare the abuse.

Funny thing is that both of the iP5 cases I got from Speck, (ordered them the day they became available on their website), are now on backorder.
BDoggPrelude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 PM   #137
1080p
macrumors 65816

I have a Speck Candyshell Grip Red/Black on my Black iPhone 5. I really like the case and the grippyness of it... but it is kind of bulky and hides the beauty of the iPhone. Also... even though the packaging advertised it as being "red/black", many people have told me that the red looks pink.

Anyway... I still have 2 weeks to take it back to AT&T and I have a SwitchEasy NUDE (clear) on the way. We'll see which one gets the job of covering my iPhone!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:01 AM   #138
ewoods22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6809 View Post
Ewoods22

Does the satin pick up lint from the pocket?
No lint. Its more like a matte finish and personally i think it is easier to grip than the glossy ones
ewoods22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:24 AM   #139
Crwmlw
macrumors newbie

Here is a good video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxDrl4Ae6hU
Crwmlw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:32 PM   #140
BIG BUCKNUT
macrumors newbie

Recenty got this...

I gotta say it is really nice. Sure it scratches a little but the white hides it well. It looks like it should be part of the phone.

Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:09 PM   #141
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude View Post
The only issue she ran into with the old ones was the edge around the 30-pin connector breaking after a while. The iPhone 5 cases have a much shorter bridge now between the two sides and it is not as thin so I don't think this will be an issue with the new ones.
The interesting thing is that the hole for the Lightning connector is much larger than it needs to be - I wonder if a future revision shrinks the hole a bit and makes that top "bridge" a little thicker and sturdier than it is now.

BTW, coming from a Speck Card Case for my previous iPhone 4, loved the non-grippy but matte finish. My new black CandyShell is a fingerprint and scratch magnet by comparison, but that's OK as long as it protects the phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Cons:

2. The fit for getting your phone in and out is TOO TIGHT. While this provides a great fit if you just leave the phone in there forever, I am sure that ingress and egress is damaging the buttons (power, volume, rocker). While it can take so much damage, one time is all it takes to ruin one. The tight fit also makes for scratches. I have put my 5 in twice, and removed it twice so far without problems. But I am not confident about the long run.
If you're going to be taking your iPhone in and out of the case constantly, I can see the issue. The CandyShell is definitely a put-on-and-leave-on case. But now that I have the CandyShell case on, I don't have any reason to remove it. Why do you need to be taking your case on and off so much? The PixelSkin sounds like a better choice for you - easy on, easy off.
jrbdmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:34 PM   #142
popozao
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You could try the flip version. It's a little bit easier to get the phone in and out (you can slide the top part on, and then flip the bottom part into place). I just got the black/grey one for my black iphone, and it was pretty easy to get on -- snug, but not super tight. Drawback: they only have the shiny texture for the flip cases.

The shiny black is a fingerprint magnet, but I didn't like the other color combos that were in stock on Amazon when I ordered. I'll wait a few months and the prices will plummet, and I'll get the color I want. I waited too long to get a case as it is -- got a nick right on the front edge of the phone . Hopefully, the Flip will save it further abuse.
popozao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:03 AM   #143
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdmb View Post

If you're going to be taking your iPhone in and out of the case constantly, I can see the issue. The CandyShell is definitely a put-on-and-leave-on case. But now that I have the CandyShell case on, I don't have any reason to remove it. Why do you need to be taking your case on and off so much? The PixelSkin sounds like a better choice for you - easy on, easy off.
I recommend taking it off and cleaning out the inside of the case and the phone. I don't know if it will happen to the 5 with the new rubber and the dimples (dimples won't help where it does not recess) but my 3GS always got lint and debris from my pocket in there which ended up scratching the phone (chrome edge and backplate).

But I agree, if you just leave it on for the life of the phone, then it's a great case if you don't mind the hairline scratches on the back. There is also the issue with the lip getting in the way of your thumb swipes, but that is minor.

Overall a good case with a few nuances. One of the better looking ones imo.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 04:51 AM   #144
mushed
macrumors member

Scrap what I said before FedEx just sent me a bill for 20 tax and duties! Not impressed!
mushed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:45 AM   #145
Primus84
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushed View Post
Scrap what I said before FedEx just sent me a bill for 20 tax and duties! Not impressed!
Did you buy 2 cases in 1 go? What's the duty threshold and how much of that was FedEx fees rather than just duty?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:13 AM   #146
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502

Hopefully Speck adds some additional colors soon ... the iPhone 5 CandyShell in Snakebite Green is just what my wife is looking for. (Note below pic is of 4/4s version)

jrbdmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:18 PM   #147
Lizzie.
macrumors newbie

Here is the "Pebble/Peacock" combo.
Sorry about the awful quality. I used the iPad 2's camera.

I'll edit this once my CandyShell Flip "Raspberry/Dark Raspberry/Peacock" arrives and post those pictures as well.

EDIT: here is the CandyShell Flip
http://imgur.com/a/xBBT1#xEegK

Last edited by Lizzie.; Oct 9, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Lizzie. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:43 PM   #148
Andrew83Ga
macrumors regular

I just got it in black. It is a bit slippery. I don't care that it may scratch easily. Really it's just a temporary case until the lifeproof comes out.

I saw a comment that the case is so tight that it could damage the buttons etc. Do you really think so? Or was the comment more about taking it in and out...not sure why you'd do that but...
Andrew83Ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:57 PM   #149
boobie12
macrumors 6502

I had got this one, but it was way to bulky. Swicthed it for the candyshell grip. Love this case it's nice and snug. And not really bulky at all.
boobie12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:25 PM   #150
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobie12 View Post
I had got this one, but it was way to bulky. Swicthed it for the candyshell grip. Love this case it's nice and snug. And not really bulky at all.
I returned my regular Candy for the 3rd time and exchanged for the Grip. Not as bulky as the regular Candy.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories