Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hi all,
Verizon iPhone 5 owner here in Orlando area. There is 4G LTE coverage everywhere, and the speed is wonderful. I'm loving the new phone except one issue I am noticing. There is a lag, or delay, when trying to do anything that uses the network when coming out of standby. Some examples:

1. Using Siri from the Lock screen, it will take about 10-15 seconds to respond, then once it does respond, it will handle anything you throw at it until you lock the phone and let it sit for a few minutes again.

2. After unlocking, and trying to open any websites from Safari. Same thing, about a 10 second pause while it attempts to turn on the LTE radio, then boom, it works blazingly fast and again handles anything you throw at it.

3. Sending a text message. Same thing, right after you bring the phone out of standby from sitting for a few minutes, it will hesitate when sending the first message like it's trying to connect to the network, and then once it does, you can then send stuff with no delay.

These are just a few of the examples, hopefully I'm communicating properly what I'm experiencing. Its subtle, but definitely annoying. My iPhone 4 on 3G responded instantly when coming out of standby. This has a lag trying to connect to the network.

It's almost as if the LTE/4G connection takes a bit to establish, and then once it does, its fast. I would equate it to when you flip your phone from airplane mode and it takes a few seconds to re-establish wifi and/or 3G...its like that ALL THE TIME coming out of standby.

I stopped at the Verizon store on the way home and the store manager said they noticed the same thing with each model on display, he said none of their Android 4G phones have this issue (no, he wasn't trying to sell me an Android phone...he said I'm not the first person to ask about the lag). Anyone else with this issue?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
OK so I just got back from dinner and tested this more.

Push home button, slide to unlock, open safari browser, type CNN.com and wait. With LTE, it was taking about 10-17 seconds to connect and load the webpage. The webpage loads instantly when it connects...its just the connecting part that is slow. This same test with LTE disabled, the phone loads the website after about a 2-3 second connection period. Something is definitely wrong here. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've actually left LTE disabled because of this!!

Is it a Verizon thing, a software/phone thing?

D3R3KD

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I have the same problem. It's like the LTE network lags for a few seconds before it starts sending any data. When I run a speed test, the numbers are much faster than my home WIFI, but in usage, the WIFI network loads webpages much faster.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
When you set up your new iPhone 5, did you restore from an iTunes backup of you older phone? If so, try setting it up as a new phone with no restoring from a backup.

dougg3

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I had the same problem on LTE with my Verizon iPhone 5. It would take forever making a connection to anything, but once the connection was there the page would load really fast. YouTube's app would time out making a connection. My speed test results were awesome, but again they would take a while to start, and Siri was also really slow to respond. I tried everything -- turning LTE off and back on, going into airplane mode and back out, but it still had the problem.

After rebooting the phone (holding down the lock button until "slide to power off" appears, sliding to turn it off, waiting a bit, then turning it back on) the problem is gone and LTE is working fine now with no delays.

For the record, I did restore from a backup of my iPhone 4 if that matters. But it's fine now. I know you said rebooting didn't fix it for you, but in my case it did. Unless Verizon fixed something on their end in the middle of my reboot, which is always a possibility too.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Same exact thing here, doesn't do it on wifi, only on lte. Once it starts loading its fast as all heck, but there's a definite lag on the first load.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Id like to see how this goes as i am in the same area, same service and have an iphone5 coming in a few weeks.

Hopefully this issue is handled for you all before then.

Im really excited to switch to vzn from sprint..cant wait.

hpr

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I seem to be having the same problem too. LTE data just takes time to... start... it is weird and quite annoying.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Same issue on AT&T. I notice it tends to happen when driving; IE moving between cels. Hopefully it's a firmware issue and gets resolved soon as it seems to affect more than one provider.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Same problem here, on Verizon in Atlanta. Even with a full LTE signal it stays on the old webpage before 10-15 seconds later jumping to the new webpage almost fully loaded.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I noticed this yesterday and rebooted to grab a signal.

I was in my office and no signal. I came out and it wouldn't grab a signal at all. I had to reboot. I even tried turning off and on data switch. Nothing. It required a reboot.

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I am having the same issue on Verizon as well in Orlando area. It's really bad. I can't even properly stream music from iHeartRadio without it constantly cutting out. It's like the LTE chip keeps turning off. It's super annoying!
This needs more visibility. Are any other AT&T users experiencing this? Is this a Verizon issue?

gbuc95

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I am having this same exact problem in Orlando on Verizon. Really becoming frustrating

Leemz21

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same here, same area. It almost feels like it takes a looooong time for DNS to resolve, then once it does, zoom.

I don't think it has to do with DNS, i think it's the LTE chip itself is turning off (to conserve battery) and then waking back up when you request data. It's really bad for streaming music because it has to re-buffer every minute or so.

----------

I haven't noticed this issue on mine. Did you have any trouble activating the phone initially?

I didn't have any trouble activating my phone.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I don't think it has to do with DNS, i think it's the LTE chip itself is turning off (to conserve battery) and then waking back up when you request data. It's really bad for streaming music because it has to re-buffer every minute or so.

I haven't tried it with streaming, but if you're seeing it when the phone goes to sleep and you're streaming, then I agree, it doesn't sound like name resolution. Annoying but if it's widespread we'll surely see a patch for it.

I hate to sound like a fanboi, but this is the risk we get when you are an early adopter. While LTE is reaching maturity, Apple's experience with it is still in the early days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.