Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alan7467

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Got my black iPhone 5 delivered today. Was super excited until I noticed the bottom half of the screen intermittently distorting and rapidly jumping up and down. Seems to happen after using the phone for a few minutes.

I was going to attempt a restore in the hopes that it was just a bug, but I noticed it doing the same thing even in DFU mode :(

On top of that there's a chip on the right side of the phone and a cluster of dead pixels on the bottom half of the screen.

Obviously this one is going back to apple. Just thought I'd vent (aka whine) about my misfortune.

jreale05

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
got my black iphone 5 delivered today. Was super excited until i noticed the bottom half of the screen intermittently distorting and rapidly jumping up and down. Seems to happen after using the phone for a few minutes.

I was going to attempt a restore in the hopes that it was just a bug, but i noticed it doing the same thing even in dfu mode :(

on top of that there's a chip on the right side of the phone and a cluster of dead pixels on the bottom half of the screen.

Obviously this one is going back to apple. Just thought i'd vent (aka whine) about my misfortune.

pics?!

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, a screenshot when it starts to happen again would be helpful for those that may encounter this problem. Plus, I'm nosey.

alan7467

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, a screenshot when it starts to happen again would be helpful for those that may encounter this problem. Plus, I'm nosey.

Seeing as it's a hardware problem there isn't any way I can capture the weird screen behavior with a screen shot. I'll try to catch it with another camera though.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Seeing as it's a hardware problem there isn't any way I can capture the weird screen behavior with a screen shot. I'll try to catch it with another camera though.

So it freezes and shuts down? Only saw the mention of the display and not the shut down. It wont let you press the power/home button combo? Bummer.

rglatter

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Arkansas
I think I had this same problem, once, I am keeping an eye out for it again. I was buying an app in the app store and saw some distortion between the top row and middle row on the keyboard. It was a just a distortion across the entire width of the screen. I saw it right as I was about to click buy and saw it for a second then hit the buy button, it went away. I can't make it do it again so far.

I will post if I have it again.

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I think I had this same problem, once, I am keeping an eye out for it again. I was buying an app in the app store and saw some distortion between the top row and middle row on the keyboard. It was a just a distortion across the entire width of the screen. I saw it right as I was about to click buy and saw it for a second then hit the buy button, it went away. I can't make it do it again so far.

I will post if I have it again.

I saw exactly the same thing at the same time. I was typing in my password to buy an app. Surely that's an odd coincidence.

Black 16GB iPhone 5 on Verizon.

alan7467

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Still trying to capture this on camera folks. Of course now that I'm set to take pictures it's happening much less frequently. In my case a horizontal line appears at the middle of the screen that vibrates up and down along with the bottom half of the screen.

I also just had a friend message me who got a new iPhone today. He said horizontal lines just started showing up while he was typing a password in the app store. Hmmmmm...

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I also just had a friend message me who got a new iPhone today. He said horizontal lines just started showing up while he was typing a password in the app store. Hmmmmm...

That's three. Crazy.

Haven't seen it again yet, but I haven't bought any more apps.

adammmk

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys, I just made a new account to state that I am having the exact some problem with the lines across the keypad when entering my password to buy an app. Has only happened once and I can't get it to happen again.

This is on my new 64GB iPhone 5.

adammmk

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Took a picture of it with my old phone. Is this what you guys are seeing too?
I have video too to show that it is the iPhone 5.

A8lDsl.jpg

alan7467

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011

My issue looks a bit different than that. The whole bottom half looks distorted and vibrates.

I used to repair laptops every day for a large corporation. I saw similar issues to this caused by faulty screens, or more often the connector going to the mainboard.

edit: just sent that pic to my friends. That's exactly what he's seeing on his.

Last edited:

rglatter

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Arkansas

that is exactly what I saw except mine was a little bit higher up on the keyboard.

I have bought a few more apps since then but haven't seen it again.

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011

Yep. That's it. Only when buying an app. I can't wait to hear the explanation for this one.

It looks for all the world like a hardware problem, but why only when buying apps?

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK

I know i reported my wife having screen issues earlier, but i just got the exact same fault as seen in your pic just now when buying an App.

fatcatvi

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I got my iPhone from UPS today around 3 PM. There was dent on the side of the phone, I then rush to Apple Store to get an exchange. They replace it with an iPhone that is not from the regular retail box, it was a small white box. After I get home, I discovered there is a 2.5CM scratch on the screen. I ran back to Apple store to ask for replacement again. They rejected me and told me that the store is too busy right now. Make an appointment and come back later.

Apple!
I spent $780 CDN on this phone and it wasn't my fault for the "manufacture imperfection".

Anyways.

Am I still eligible for the 14 days refund policy? They gave me a "replacement", the SN on the phone is different than the one on the box.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US

This EXACT same thing happened to me a little while ago. I have typed my password into the app store probably 5 times or so since picking up my phone this morning...but just about an hour ago, as I was typing in my password, I got the horizontal lines around the top left side of the keyboard. As soon as I was done typing in the password, it went away, and all was fine.

I hope it is a software glitch and not a screen glitch!!

alan7467

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Managed to find a youtube video showing the issue I've been having. It's pretty hard to see in the video, but in the end you and see the flickering horizontal line, everything below it is fuzzy and distorted. The iPhone in this video is worse off than mine with 2/3 of the screen having the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alu3Vn8WyVc

I'll be calling apple tomorrow to line up a replacement.

adammmk

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Mine just did it again. Went to take a screenshot to see if maybe it was software as opposed to hardware, and the screenshot itself made it go back to normal...definitely getting it replaced now that i know it isnt a once off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.