Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ok. i got a formac studio recently. yesterday i went to use it for the first time. i unplugged all the firewire devices i had plugged in at the time (hard drives), and connected the studio via firewire. then i turned it on. at that point, my computer (dual 800) powered down. and it will not come back on. i've unplugged everything unnecessary (firewire things, adc monitor, etc) and all i get in terms of power is the light coming on when i press in the power button,but it goes out when i stop pressing it. i've tried resetting the power strip and even plugging it directly into the wall, changing the power cord, everything.

so at this point i'm going to deal with formac/macmall to get someone to pay for me to get my machine fixed... just curious if anyone has any last ditch ideas of something to try first...

if not, figure it's a good story to share just so people keep their eye out...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I had the same problem with my DP1Ghz QuickSilver, where you press the power button in, the light comes on but as soon as you let go it just goes out again and doesn't boot.
I sent it away to apple and they had to replace the logic board. :(

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Had the same problem

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Aparently, the logic board went screwy during a lightning storm. I took it to the Apple store here in Orlando and all they had to do was reset the logic board. It cost me the base price of $50, but I'd say it was better than having to replace the logic board alltogether.

Have it checked out by some type of Apple authorized repair place (or an Apple Store if possible).

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
ahh, good to know guys, thanks.

does that affect your hard drive or anything else in any way? obviously i don't want to lose my data if possible..

also, is this (a logic board) something that most apple repair places would have on hand or would it take a while? just curious as my computer is pretty integral to my schooling and such... thanks again.

hopefully they can just reset it...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If you have applecare then turn around time should be good.
From the time of me reporting the fault with my mac to the time it was delivered back to me working again was just 48hrs!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
no apple care... but there are 3 apple authorized places close to me (including the soho apple store)... so in theory that should help

time to call formac and see what they tell me...
thanks again.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i am very happy as i write this from my own computer...

i called macmall, the guy said that first off, the firewire port wouldn't allow enough power through to zap the power supply, so even if the power supply was shot, it was coincidence that it happened when i turned the formac on... not sure about that. but. he said to press the button by the battery, which i did... and it works now...

i had even thought of that, but i was at the point where i didn't want to do too much messing around inside because i didn't want to implicate myself in the problem...

thanks for all the posts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.