Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
digitalfx
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 working fine on BMW

The iPhone 5 seems to function better than my 4s in several areas.
Obviously the docking tray no longer works, but the new Lightning to USB cables functions perfectly. Pandora, Music all work as before.

Bluetooth seems to function better, specifically the Office functions finally are working, both text and email. They are both still contained in the Text section, but they now load instantly which they never did on the 4s (w/ iOS 6).

It will only display the first few lines while driving, but the voice will read the entire email or text. The main improvement is speed, they load as soon as they appear on the iPhone.

Siri also works via bluetooth audio.

Overall the transition to the Lightning cable hasnt seem to have affected newer vehicles, at least the BMW models with latest Combox.

Last edited by digitalfx; Sep 21, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
digitalfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
richpuer
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the update. Will try it out on all of mine over the weekend
richpuer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

Bragging about your new phone and BMW in the same post? (I'm joking of course...Bimmer owner myself)
GuitarDTO is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
cmhsam
macrumors 6502

Wish I could try my IP5 in my BMW. Just got word that my car is on a recall and BMWNA is telling all affected owners to not drive their cars and will be flat bedding the cars to dealer. Minimum of 2-3 weeks
cmhsam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
e²Studios
macrumors 68020

Works fine on my 2012 Audi S4 & Q5. No noticeable difference in functionality between my old 4 and the 5.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
yep, works fine in my lamborghini, yet to try it in the ferrari or aston martin though.. maybe tomorrow..
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by e²Studios View Post
Works fine on my 2012 Audi S4 & Q5. No noticeable difference in functionality between my old 4 and the 5.
iDevice integration with 3G MMI is a bit crap tbh. The only thing you get is basic iPod connectivity and Bluetooth phone connection. No album art, no apps, no A2DP, nothing.

2013s with the Google infused MMI is supposed to be a lot better, but I vastly prefer the look of my 12 S4 over the weird looking headlights of the 13
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:05 PM   #8
tigres
macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, I have to wait for the adapter. I have a 30 pin cable wired to my cd changer input in the trunk. I don't have the usb option.

No tune for me... (iPod that is)

Ah well
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM   #9
alphaod
macrumors Core

It doesn't seem to work with CCC.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
OP do you have CIC or CCC?
As he has Office and the snap in adapter, he has the CIC. The combox mentioned is also a CIC only thing.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:08 PM   #11
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
As he has Office and the snap in adapter, he has the CIC. The combox mentioned is also a CIC only thing.
Yeah I noticed that.

It doesn't work with CCC I'm afraid. I hate this iDrive even more now!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:09 PM   #12
e²Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iDevice integration with 3G MMI is a bit crap tbh. The only thing you get is basic iPod connectivity and Bluetooth phone connection. No album art, no apps, no A2DP, nothing.

2013s with the Google infused MMI is supposed to be a lot better, but I vastly prefer the look of my 12 S4 over the weird looking headlights of the 13
Tbh all I use it for is phone connection and contact sync. I have a 80gb iPod classic in the glove box connected with the I link cable.

I agree with you, I like the grill on the 12 better than the 13. Google mmi is great, but I don't want to pay for a tmobile account to keep it online.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:10 PM   #13
digitalfx
macrumors 6502

yes CIC. 2013 model.
digitalfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:17 PM   #14
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Wish I could try my IP5 in my BMW. Just got word that my car is on a recall and BMWNA is telling all affected owners to not drive their cars and will be flat bedding the cars to dealer. Minimum of 2-3 weeks
Yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an F30 335i xDrive.

Semi-Related: geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?

Also related: I need to try Lightning in my Acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, Spotify + Bluetooth audio = battery killer.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:28 PM   #15
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that.

Look into a CIC retrofit. I did it (along with combox retrofit, giving me the full suite of BMW apps and ConnectedDrive features) in my M5- massive improvement, especially since mine wasn't fitted with navigation from the factory (came with the bog standard M-ASK system, same as the one fitted to a 523i). It must be one of very very few M5s delivered without factory navigation lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by e²Studios View Post
Tbh all I use it for is phone connection and contact sync. I have a 80gb iPod classic in the glove box connected with the I link cable.
Same here (albeit with a nano), but it'd still be nice to have better integration.

Quote:
I agree with you, I like the grill on the 12 better than the 13. Google mmi is great, but I don't want to pay for a tmobile account to keep it online.
The signature 'eggcrate' grill for the S-models is gone on the 13s, replaced with one that only has horizontal lines. Very odd design decision.

$30 for a separate account just for your car is not the way to go. BMW and a number of other manufacturers are doing it the right way: Bluetooth/wired tethering to your smartphone's data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
Yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an F30 335i xDrive.

Semi-Related: geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?
Isn't that what you're doing?

Springing for the xDrive, eh... you know the Audi equivalent comes with quattro as standard equipment, right?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16
zzoomp09
macrumors regular

Quote:
yikes! what is it with BMW and their pumps?!?! N54 HPFP and now this? i feel you, nothing really frustrating than having a car that expensive and can't be used because of a defect. oh well

at least enjoy your iphone5
zzoomp09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
james92se
macrumors 6502a

Will have to report tomorrow on how well it works in my Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. It's merely my "weekend car" so I try to only drive it on weekends (I usually drive my McLaren MP4-12C during the week to work as I don't want to appear as if I'm showing off to my subordinates. Sometimes though, if I'm really feeling like "roughing it" I'll drive the Bentley Continental GT and its more budget-oriented price tag).

I've got a polo match with the fellas from the country club in the morning, so it may be tomorrow afternoon before I can report on the Bugatti iPhone-integration.
james92se is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Aragornii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that.

I have an '07 M5 and I upgraded the nav system to the new CIC. Well worth it.
Aragornii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:55 AM   #19
cmhsam
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an f30 335i xdrive.

Semi-related: Geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?

Also related: I need to try lightning in my acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, spotify + bluetooth audio = battery killer.
2013 m5

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoomp09 View Post
yikes! what is it with BMW and their pumps?!?! N54 HPFP and now this? i feel you, nothing really frustrating than having a car that expensive and can't be used because of a defect. oh well

at least enjoy your iphone5
2013 M5. I love the new IP5
cmhsam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:43 AM   #20
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Isn't that what you're doing?

Springing for the xDrive, eh... you know the Audi equivalent comes with quattro as standard equipment, right?
That's why I did it...was supposed to be funny.

And yes, I know Quattro comes standard (well, I guess you could argue that since I think there still is a FrontTrak model of the A4 and A6). I've had 2 Audi Quattros. One was an A4 that was the biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. I realize it's hit-or-miss sometimes with Germans. Just wanted to go back to BMW this time around. (I do miss my TT though).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
boltjames
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Also related: I need to try Lightning in my Acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, Spotify + Bluetooth audio = battery killer.

My 2013 F30 loves the iPhone 5. I've got a lot of options in her, cost north of $50,000 which is nice.

Don't admit to owning an Acura in a public forum.

BJ
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:09 AM   #22
magicbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
The iPhone 5 seems to function better than my 4s in several areas.
Obviously the docking tray no longer works, but the new Lightning to USB cables functions perfectly. Pandora, Music all work as before.

Bluetooth seems to function better, specifically the Office functions finally are working, both text and email. They are both still contained in the Text section, but they now load instantly which they never did on the 4s (w/ iOS 6).

It will only display the first few lines while driving, but the voice will read the entire email or text. The main improvement is speed, they load as soon as they appear on the iPhone.

Siri also works via bluetooth audio.

Overall the transition to the Lightning cable hasnt seem to have affected newer vehicles, at least the BMW models with latest Combox.
works in my 1990 hyundai too! headphones, i haven't had stereo in it for a min (i'm joking fellow beema owner here).

clarification, iPHone 5 adapter doesn't support connectedDrive feature (displays iPhone's "apps" on the nav screen), but will work via bluetooth and will play songs via connector.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:12 AM   #23
jester0723
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do you have an m5 or an m6?

Edit: got excited and responded before I read the rest of the thread. Great ride. Hope she has three pedals or its just a waste
jester0723 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 AM   #24
james92se
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Don't admit to owning an Acura in a public forum.
Are you serious?
james92se is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 AM   #25
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 65816

Works great in my 1985 YUGO
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone