Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
The iPhone 5 seems to function better than my 4s in several areas.
Obviously the docking tray no longer works, but the new Lightning to USB cables functions perfectly. Pandora, Music all work as before.

Bluetooth seems to function better, specifically the Office functions finally are working, both text and email. They are both still contained in the Text section, but they now load instantly which they never did on the 4s (w/ iOS 6).

It will only display the first few lines while driving, but the voice will read the entire email or text. The main improvement is speed, they load as soon as they appear on the iPhone.

Siri also works via bluetooth audio.

Overall the transition to the Lightning cable hasnt seem to have affected newer vehicles, at least the BMW models with latest Combox.

Last edited:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Bragging about your new phone and BMW in the same post? :D (I'm joking of course...Bimmer owner myself)

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Wish I could try my IP5 in my BMW. Just got word that my car is on a recall and BMWNA is telling all affected owners to not drive their cars and will be flat bedding the cars to dealer. Minimum of 2-3 weeks

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Works fine on my 2012 Audi S4 & Q5. No noticeable difference in functionality between my old 4 and the 5.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Works fine on my 2012 Audi S4 & Q5. No noticeable difference in functionality between my old 4 and the 5.

iDevice integration with 3G MMI is a bit crap tbh. The only thing you get is basic iPod connectivity and Bluetooth phone connection. No album art, no apps, no A2DP, nothing.

2013s with the Google infused MMI is supposed to be a lot better, but I vastly prefer the look of my 12 S4 over the weird looking headlights of the 13 :p

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
iDevice integration with 3G MMI is a bit crap tbh. The only thing you get is basic iPod connectivity and Bluetooth phone connection. No album art, no apps, no A2DP, nothing.

2013s with the Google infused MMI is supposed to be a lot better, but I vastly prefer the look of my 12 S4 over the weird looking headlights of the 13 :p

Tbh all I use it for is phone connection and contact sync. I have a 80gb iPod classic in the glove box connected with the I link cable.

I agree with you, I like the grill on the 12 better than the 13. Google mmi is great, but I don't want to pay for a tmobile account to keep it online.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Wish I could try my IP5 in my BMW. Just got word that my car is on a recall and BMWNA is telling all affected owners to not drive their cars and will be flat bedding the cars to dealer. Minimum of 2-3 weeks

Yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an F30 335i xDrive.

Semi-Related: geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?

Also related: I need to try Lightning in my Acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, Spotify + Bluetooth audio = battery killer.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Yeah I noticed that.

It doesn't work with CCC I'm afraid. I hate this iDrive even more now! :(

Look into a CIC retrofit. I did it (along with combox retrofit, giving me the full suite of BMW apps and ConnectedDrive features) in my M5- massive improvement, especially since mine wasn't fitted with navigation from the factory (came with the bog standard M-ASK system, same as the one fitted to a 523i). It must be one of very very few M5s delivered without factory navigation lol

Tbh all I use it for is phone connection and contact sync. I have a 80gb iPod classic in the glove box connected with the I link cable.

Same here (albeit with a nano), but it'd still be nice to have better integration.

I agree with you, I like the grill on the 12 better than the 13. Google mmi is great, but I don't want to pay for a tmobile account to keep it online.

The signature 'eggcrate' grill for the S-models is gone on the 13s, replaced with one that only has horizontal lines. Very odd design decision.

$30 for a separate account just for your car is not the way to go. BMW and a number of other manufacturers are doing it the right way: Bluetooth/wired tethering to your smartphone's data plan.

Yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an F30 335i xDrive.

Semi-Related: geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?

Isn't that what you're doing? :p

Springing for the xDrive, eh... you know the Audi equivalent comes with quattro as standard equipment, right? ;)

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee

yikes! what is it with BMW and their pumps?!?! N54 HPFP and now this? i feel you, nothing really frustrating than having a car that expensive and can't be used because of a defect. oh well

at least enjoy your iphone5 :D

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Will have to report tomorrow on how well it works in my Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. It's merely my "weekend car" so I try to only drive it on weekends (I usually drive my McLaren MP4-12C during the week to work as I don't want to appear as if I'm showing off to my subordinates. Sometimes though, if I'm really feeling like "roughing it" I'll drive the Bentley Continental GT and its more budget-oriented price tag).

I've got a polo match with the fellas from the country club in the morning, so it may be tomorrow afternoon before I can report on the Bugatti iPhone-integration.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
yikes. What model(s) are affected? Was toying with putting in an order for an f30 335i xdrive.

Semi-related: Geez, this really is a mine-is-bigger-than-yours type of thread, isn't it?

Also related: I need to try lightning in my acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, spotify + bluetooth audio = battery killer.

2013 m5

----------

yikes! what is it with BMW and their pumps?!?! N54 HPFP and now this? i feel you, nothing really frustrating than having a car that expensive and can't be used because of a defect. oh well

at least enjoy your iphone5 :D

2013 M5. I love the new IP5

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Isn't that what you're doing? :p

Springing for the xDrive, eh... you know the Audi equivalent comes with quattro as standard equipment, right? ;)

That's why I did it...was supposed to be funny. :)

And yes, I know Quattro comes standard (well, I guess you could argue that since I think there still is a FrontTrak model of the A4 and A6). I've had 2 Audi Quattros. One was an A4 that was the biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. I realize it's hit-or-miss sometimes with Germans. Just wanted to go back to BMW this time around. (I do miss my TT though).

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Also related: I need to try Lightning in my Acura tomorrow. I know bluetooth audio worked fine today, although man, Spotify + Bluetooth audio = battery killer.

DSC_0433.jpg

My 2013 F30 loves the iPhone 5. I've got a lot of options in her, cost north of $50,000 which is nice.

Don't admit to owning an Acura in a public forum.

BJ

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
The iPhone 5 seems to function better than my 4s in several areas.
Obviously the docking tray no longer works, but the new Lightning to USB cables functions perfectly. Pandora, Music all work as before.

Bluetooth seems to function better, specifically the Office functions finally are working, both text and email. They are both still contained in the Text section, but they now load instantly which they never did on the 4s (w/ iOS 6).

It will only display the first few lines while driving, but the voice will read the entire email or text. The main improvement is speed, they load as soon as they appear on the iPhone.

Siri also works via bluetooth audio.

Overall the transition to the Lightning cable hasnt seem to have affected newer vehicles, at least the BMW models with latest Combox.

works in my 1990 hyundai too! headphones, i haven't had stereo in it for a min (i'm joking fellow beema owner here).

clarification, iPHone 5 adapter doesn't support connectedDrive feature (displays iPhone's "apps" on the nav screen), but will work via bluetooth and will play songs via connector.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia

Do you have an m5 or an m6?

Edit: got excited and responded before I read the rest of the thread. Great ride. Hope she has three pedals or its just a waste ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.