Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
i was taking apart my iphone 4s to replace my screen. and i ended up stripping the phillips screw holding the battery connecter in place. it is very badly stripped and i need to know how to get it out! ASAP

Joey51

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Lol

Get a hammer and chisel and shear screwhead off

If you have to ask how to remove,you should never had been in there to begin with.

How do you people function in everyday life?

hame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Get a hammer and chisel and shear screwhead off

If you have to ask how to remove,you should never had been in there to begin with.

How do you people function in everyday life?

im asking how to get a stripped screw out. i knew what to do until the screw got stripped

hame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Can you post a photo to see the positioning of this screw?

yes one sec

----------

xlarge_battery4.jpg
Can you post a photo to see the positioning of this screw?

it is that screw

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
This is one of the reasons that the iPhone is not a user serviceable device. I recommend you purchase a new phone.

hame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
This is one of the reasons that the iPhone is not a user serviceable device. I recommend you purchase a new phone.

i simply dont have the money at the moment i just need to know how to get that screw out

----------

yes one sec

----------

it is that screw

sorry that is the wrong pic it is this one. it is the lower screw.
540x380_ac.jpg

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
yes one sec

----------

it is that screw

Can you get some adhesive - not the kind that will leave traces of the adhesive onto your iPhone. Use the adhesive and apply it on the screw and use it to twist out the screw. You need something that will cling to what's left of that screw so that you can remove it. It doesn't look like there's anything too close to this screw to cause further damage.

Which is the screw you're referring too, the one circled in orange or red?

Edit: Ok the lower one.

As you apply the adhesive, you can "gently" use a philipps screwdriver to "gently" place pressure on the adhesive and twist/unscrew it out.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
If you type words like this in google, you will find lots of answers even faster.

"how to remove small stripped screw"

Google is your friend.

Juicy111

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
If you know any local iphone repair shops bring it to them, they most likely will be able to get it out.

Until then they are some methods to use-

1. Get a very small rubber band ( one that would fit between the screw + the screw driver ) and it might have enough force to turn the screw.

2. Get some super glue ( make sure it works metal to metal ) and apply a VERY small amount, you dont want it to it in the internal components. Let it dry, then turn the screw out.

3. If the screw is already out a little, you could probably use some type of tweezers, or something with grips to get it out. Also I would not try to make it worse then it already is.

4. If it comes to it, you can try and drill it out ( i would recommended trying all the above before that ).

Ifixit has some iphone screw sets to replace the screw.

Next time make sure you have the right sized screwdriver, and apply enough force ( but no too much ) so it doesn't slip and strip the screw.

hame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
If you know any local iphone repair shops bring it to them, they most likely will be able to get it out.

Until then they are some methods to use-

1. Get a very small rubber band ( one that would fit between the screw + the screw driver ) and it might have enough force to turn the screw.

2. Get some super glue ( make sure it works metal to metal ) and apply a VERY small amount, you dont want it to it in the internal components. Let it dry, then turn the screw out.

3. If the screw is already out a little, you could probably use some type of tweezers, or something with grips to get it out. Also I would not try to make it worse then it already is.

4. If it comes to it, you can try and drill it out ( i would recommended trying all the above before that ).

Ifixit has some iphone screw sets to replace the screw.

Next time make sure you have the right sized screwdriver, and apply enough force ( but no too much ) so it doesn't slip and strip the screw.

ok thank you i will try these methods!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.