Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Just updated to ios 6 on my 4s and cannot get embedded videos to play in high quality even while on wifi. For example the videos on the main macrumors.com page. They look like I'm on 3G (choppy).

Tried my wife's 4s with 5.1.1 and they play in hd when connected to wifi (they use the old YouTube app)

Can somebody try this and confirm? Or is my install messed up? Or is there a way to open the google YouTube app thru safari?

Thanks

realph

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Was just about to post this topic.

It must have something to do with the new 1136px display. YouTube HQ embeds seem to be targeting only 960 x 640 retina displays on the iPhone. They need to update their code with the new screen size.

I've noticed this problem with a couple apps too, try the new Rayman Jungle Run game on the 5. It doesn't use retina graphics on the iPhone 5, but does for the 4/4S.

For a second or so it boots in retina mode, then it reverts to the fallback (non-retina graphics). It's not recognising this screen size with the new height as a retina display.

Last edited:

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Was just about to post this topic.

It must have something to do with the new 1136px display. YouTube HQ embeds seem to be targeting only 960 x 640 retina displays on the iPhone. They need to update their code with the new screen size.

I've noticed this problem with a couple apps too, try the new Rayman Jungle Run game on the 5. It doesn't use retina graphics on the iPhone 5, but does for the 4/4S.

For a second or so it boots in retina mode, then it reverts to the fallback (non-retina graphics). It's not recognising this screen size with the new height as a retina display.

I have a 4s. I see your point for the 5, but it used to play fine with the old YouTube app.

Was it like this in all the betas as well? I can't believe this was overlooked.

realph

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
It's nothing to do with the YouTube app, it's a fault on YouTube's part though. I thinks it's running on a 3GS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.