Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
iwayne
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 Camera pics not full screen?

I don't understand this? Apple stretches out the iPhone 5 & the camera doesn't take full screen pics in any orientation. Really Apple?
iwayne is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Hammie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwayne View Post
I don't understand this? Apple stretches out the iPhone 5 & the camera doesn't take full screen pics in any orientation. Really Apple?
Why would you expect this? Most cameras don't take widescreen pictures. I see nothing wrong with this. If you want a picture to fill the screen, do a panorama shot...
Hammie is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Cameras shoot pics at 4:3. iPhone screen is 16:9.
El3ctronics is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601

Traditionally, photos are taken in 3:2 ratio, which matches 35mm film. Point and shoot cameras shoot in 4:3.

I know of no photo camera that shoots primarily in 16:9.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There was a very brief review on the iP5 earlier today in the news, and it was mentioned, that when it came to photos, you would still see the black side bars due to the aspect ratio of the photos. Only movies would be widescreen 16:9.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
iwayne
macrumors regular

Not a big fan of the new screen dimensions. Apple is supposed to SET the industry trend, instead they caved to the industry trends...
iwayne is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Munitalp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not a big fan of the new screen dimensions. Apple is supposed to SET the industry trend, instead they caved to the industry trends...
Kinda hard to set trends based on screen sizes... Either you go crazy big and wide like many androids which makes it less of a phone or you do what??? Taller and no wider... Which is what we got. That's about all the options on the table unless I'm missing something?
Munitalp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 68000

Yeah that's pretty idiotic.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:53 PM   #9
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the OP. I would like my pictures to fit the whole widescreen. This is lame and the pics look small and weird now.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
iphonefan74
Banned

The only phone I am aware of that shoots widescreen photos as an option is the Droid Razr Maxx.
iphonefan74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:01 PM   #11
docprego
macrumors 6502a

I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.
docprego is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:04 PM   #12
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
I think Apple should have made the photos zoom by default so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could bring them back to their actual size. As it is now most people will be simply confused by this.
But when you double tap it overshoots the screen. There is no way to view it fullscreen really.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:14 AM   #13
docprego
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
But when you double tap it overshoots the screen. There is no way to view it fullscreen really.
I understand the current behavior. I'm suggesting that the photos should load by default partially zoomed in so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could zoom back out to show the entire image. When I was into Android for a bit there was a photo app called Tinypic that would zoom any photo to perfect full screen upon double tapping. There's no reason the Apple photos app couldn't load this behavior for all images by default.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:22 AM   #14
mykem
macrumors regular

Most P&S Camera nowadays give the users the option to shoot in 16:9 ratio.

I haven't got my iP5 but isn't there an option in iOS 6 where you can take photo while in movie mode (one feature that's exclusive to iP5). The photo from that should be 16 x 9 instead of the more traditional 3:2 ratio.
mykem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:24 AM   #15
Prolif1k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the industry and trends. 16:9 would be an idiotic ratio for a standard photograph. Pretty simple.
Prolif1k is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:39 AM   #16
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
I understand the current behavior. I'm suggesting that the photos should load by default partially zoomed in so that they fill the screen. Then a double tap could zoom back out to show the entire image. When I was into Android for a bit there was a photo app called Tinypic that would zoom any photo to perfect full screen upon double tapping. There's no reason the Apple photos app couldn't load this behavior for all images by default.
Roger. I agree with you.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:27 PM   #17
docprego
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
Roger. I agree with you.
Just to be completely accurate the name of the Android app was actually QuickPic.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:47 PM   #18
jps1012
macrumors 6502a

Are there any apps that shoot full screen on the iPhone 5?
jps1012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Small White Car
macrumors G4

It makes me sad that, after more than a century of photography, some children on the internet think that established standards should be thrown away because of the shape of a cell phone screen.

Never mind what happens when people try to get their photos made into prints and find that no photo print shops, frames, or albums are suited for these hypothetical 16x9 photos. Some black boarders on the screen are confusing to people, apparently, but that wouldn't be?

4x6?
8x10?
5x7?

Is any of this ringing a bell? No? I guess when you're raised thinking that Facebook is the end result of any digital image you don't have to know stuff like this.

As I said, it makes me sad.
Small White Car is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:07 PM   #20
Lukeyy19
macrumors 6502a

on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 the image loads up zoomed in to full screen, and I can pinch to zoom out. Does the iPhone 5 and/or iOS 6 no longer do this?
TV
Lukeyy19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
Ionize
macrumors newbie

Hey guys if u want to take pic in fullscreen record and then take pic while recording.
Ionize is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:01 AM   #22
paddylaz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionize View Post
Hey guys if u want to take pic in fullscreen record and then take pic while recording.
Except that this is of course won't be a photo using the optics, but simply a screen capture of what's being displayed, which will be of lower quality.

Yeah the gaps are annoying, it would have been nice if they had made the camera 16:9 as well as the screen,, like on the htc one x (crap phone though that was). The images on the i5 are actually displayed SMALLER whilst browsing through than previous iphones as they don't do the slight zoom-in technique employed on previous phones. It's one of about 5 things that combined, made me return my i5 and get a 4s which I'm very happy with.

Last edited by paddylaz; Oct 6, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
paddylaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 04:56 AM   #23
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddylaz View Post
The images on the i5 are actually displayed SMALLER whilst browsing through than previous iphones as they don't do the slight zoom-in technique employed on previous phones. It's one of about 5 things that combined, made me return my i5 and get a 4s which I'm very happy with.
Great reason to return the phone.
Xenc is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:22 AM   #24
paddylaz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
Great reason to return the phone.
How do you even have time for pointless posts like this? I was responding to the op's message because it was relevant and that's what this forum is for. To write sarcastic prattish comments that add nothing to the thread (on any thread) tells me you are bored or something?
paddylaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:36 AM   #25
kamalds
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ctronics View Post
Cameras shoot pics at 4:3. iPhone screen is 16:9.
My GS3 lets you choose between 16:9 or 4:3 pics. Iphone users are not even given choice.
kamalds is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone