Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:17 AM   #1
macdon401
macrumors 6502

Deleting fonts in OSX ?

Hi, with all the talk about what you can and can't delete, rename or just plain move in Tiger my question is can I get rid of ALL foreign language fonts, I'll never use any of them and I hear they lots of space!
And another thing, why are there TWO font folders...??
Can I move all fonts to ONE folder...?
Thank you
R
macdon401 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, you cannot get rid of all foreign fonts. Some are used by the system (even if you've deleted/not installed the corresponding languages).

But there's many you can get rid of. Easiest is to use Font Book to turn off all those fonts you don't want (you will be warned which cannot be turned off because of the system). Then if your system is running properly for a while and you don't miss any of them you can use Font Book to delete those turned off fonts. (I have a list of 47 that's turned off, from Al Bayan to AppleMyungjo. )

Just don't mess with any of these.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Doctor Q
Administrator

There can actually be many font folders.

Most fonts are in (startup disk)/Library/Fonts and (startup disk)/System/Library/Fonts. You should not remove those Mac OS X depends on. Lots of fonts come with applications you install, and you may be able to remove ones you don't want, however some applications are pickier than others if they look for particular fonts.

You can also have fonts in (startup disk)/Users/(user name)/Library/Fonts. Such fonts are available only to that particular user. These are fairly unusual but let you have different sets for different users. It's unlikely that removing these will get you in much trouble.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q
There can actually be many font folders....

and if you have Classic installed, there's another font folder in there
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdon401
Hi, with all the talk about what you can and can't delete, rename or just plain move in Tiger my question is can I get rid of ALL foreign language fonts, I'll never use any of them and I hear they lots of space!
And another thing, why are there TWO font folders...??
Can I move all fonts to ONE folder...?
Thank you
R
It's actually the language packs for applications and OS X itself that take up a fair amount of room, not the fonts for those languages. I'd recommend looking into how you can remove them. There's a utility that does it... but I forget what it's called.
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:46 AM   #6
jtt
macrumors regular

try Monolingual. on versiontracker
jtt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Also, be careful moving/deleting fonts. I've heard of missing fonts causing all kinds of wierd problems in OS X.
Heb1228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X