Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiiD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
ok so i have my family has 3 iphone 4s with the ios 6 firmware. but on Two of them when i receive a text one other iphone also receives it and can reply then i see what they replied.. its not a group text its something to do with imessage.. i can turn off the feature but i really like imessage.. how can i just delete the number from my getting my sms to? :D:apple::apple::apple:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
ok so i have my family has 3 iphone 4s with the ios 6 firmware. but on Two of them when i receive a text one other iphone also receives it and can reply then i see what they replied.. its not a group text its something to do with imessage.. i can turn off the feature but i really like imessage.. how can i just delete the number from my getting my sms to? :D:apple::apple::apple:

Are they all using the same apple Id? With iOS 6, phone numbers and the email linked to the apple Id are merged.

KiiD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Are they all using the same apple Id? With iOS 6, phone numbers and the email linked to the apple Id are merged.

yeah they are but so is my 3rd one and i dont receive their messages on that one.. its only those two.. and i can turn it off no problem, but obviously for privacy reason i would like to delete the whole number off the imessage in the " send n receive from " section

KiiD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Settings>Messages>Send & Receive

Make sure there are different emails for each phone.

we all use one email cause u need a credit card or gift card to activate another apple id. but like i said my 3rd one has the same apple id, firmware and yet it doesnt receive theire texts nor do they receive texts that come to my phone.. it's only the other 2

meganator

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
You don't need a credit card to set up a new apple I'd through settings. Maybe through the App Store but not if you do it through settings. You would have to make sure her number is unchecked on her dads phone otherwise.

cbpelikan

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
cb
I was getting texts for both lines on my plan initially. I did a restore and unchecked the # of the 2nd line during setup.
I didn't realize it could be turned off in settings.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
You need to set up a new Apple ID for each user. Use those IDs to log into icloud and imessage on each individual device. This will separate each user for messages and icloud. You can use a separate universal ID for itunes and app store purchases. This is how I have 3 iPhones set up. One ID shared for purchases and separate individual IDs for imessage and iCloud.

gwwwhhhaaattt

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
This is how you do it.

Make sure you have a separate iCloud for each phone. This is free. Also when you have it all set up make sure to go to settings - messages and toggle on and off iMessage for each phone.

My wife and I share an iTunes account to share apps and music but we each also have our own iCloud an it works perfect!

PS I asked the apple store people for help on this so stop in if you need help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.