Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Texts or iMessages don't sound alerts or wake up screen on iPhone 5

Phone isn't on vibrate. In notifications settings messages are set to view in lock screen, show preview, tone is set to default. When a text or iMessage comes in the screen doesn't wake up nor does the text tone go off.

If I'm using the phone I see the banner and hear the alert. But if phone is locked I have no idea a message comes in unless I turn the screen on and see the alert.

What am I missing?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
dabigone
macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. Was working fine, but now there are no text sounds at all. But if I'm in the text window I get a sound when I sen a message.
dabigone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #3
solidsnake32292
macrumors regular

Having similar issues here.... hope this get's fixed asap!
solidsnake32292 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
J.L.Photography
macrumors 6502

go to notifications and check the alert style, maybe its set to none.... change it to banner
J.L.Photography is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
dabigone
macrumors regular

Shut down all my apps and reboot. Sounds are back. I'm guessing another app was taking precedence.
dabigone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
dtbratt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.Photography View Post
go to notifications and check the alert style, maybe its set to none.... change it to banner
Do this. Its probably turned off in notifications.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
BurntReality
macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like you have Do Not Disturb Mode enabled. It will not alert you to text messages while phone is locked.

Disable it through settings.
BurntReality is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntReality View Post
Sounds to me like you have Do Not Disturb Mode enabled. It will not alert you to text messages while phone is locked.

My thought too.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
13irregular
macrumors newbie

same thing happening to me, i hear a sound but screen shows nothing.
13irregular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:03 PM   #10
DCHoya
macrumors newbie

Same problem here. My phone has the vibrate function turned off and it's on silent, so unless I check the lock screen regularly, I have no idea if I'm getting texts or not.

I've also found that a number of my iMessages have been delayed, which makes the problem even more troublesome.
DCHoya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Ok, it was DND mode, but I don't know why it was doing this. I set it up as a scheduled DND from Midnight to 8am. Then in settings I enabled DND thinking I had to for the schedule to run. Maybe that was a mistake. However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

When I turned DND off, texts popped up again. But still don't know why a person who was set as a favorite didn't come through. She's set as a favorite in my phone contacts, is there somewhere else to set favorites for DND?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:35 AM   #12
cypress822
macrumors regular

same problem here...only a small partial percentage of my text messages are coming with alerts.
cypress822 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
cypress822
macrumors regular

this is driving me nuts...cant believe more people are not having this problem...not much at all on internet about it
cypress822 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Codepiink
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoddin View Post
Ok, it was DND mode, but I don't know why it was doing this. I set it up as a scheduled DND from Midnight to 8am. Then in settings I enabled DND thinking I had to for the schedule to run. Maybe that was a mistake. However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

When I turned DND off, texts popped up again. But still don't know why a person who was set as a favorite didn't come through. She's set as a favorite in my phone contacts, is there somewhere else to set favorites for DND?

The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was in my hand.

Last edited by Codepiink; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Codepiink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:02 AM   #15
pbrooks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepiink View Post
The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was on my hand.
I was initially confused by what seemed like a redundant set of controls for DND mode, but it does make sense. The top-level DND button under Settings is a quick-access control. The DND settings in Settings>>Privacy is for scheduling which I imagine is something you wouldn't need frequent access to under typical use.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:18 AM   #16
cbr09123
macrumors newbie

Under notifications, also check to see if it is set to show on lockscreen. That'll make it so it wakes the screen.

Also, I'm having a small similar issue. When I get a notification (like email or sms), I here the notification (+vibration), but the actual notification wont shop up as a banner for like a split second later.

On my 4S with iOS5, they both sounded and showed the notification simultaneously. Small quirk, I am sure it's just a bug issue.
cbr09123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:31 AM   #17
ipoddin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepiink View Post
The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was in my hand.
Yeah, that's it. Also realized that in dnd, only calls from favorites will come through. Messages will not. Wish they did though.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:33 AM   #18
MacBoy88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoddin View Post
... However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

That only applies to calls, not text messages.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
klrgoten
macrumors newbie

I'm having similar problems with my iPhone 5. I'm not getting text notifications and my DND is not on. I've tried restoring my phone, powering off and on... no dice. It seems that the first few texts that come through give me a sound alert correctly, then they stop. I have then change the alert tone to something different and change it back to the one I want for them to start working again... very annoying
klrgoten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:53 PM   #20
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

Was having a similar issue, changed the text tone and it seemed to fix it, for now. We'll see if this continues to be a persistent issue.

EDIT: On the bright side, it was time to give it a change. I've been using the mockingjay call from The Hunger Games since last December or so. A good ol' TARDIS vworp vworp it is.
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #21
lilmisskrany
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thank you! I never would have never thought to change that and didn't realize it affects alerts too!
lilmisskrany is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:58 AM   #22
El indio
macrumors member

By any chance are you using any other 3rd party text message app?
El indio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
Arfdog
macrumors 6502

ok my problem is similar, but it's not DND.

I am in a convo in iMessage. Lock the phone with convo still on the screen. Convo still occurring, with my friend or friends replying and stuff. But I don't hear a single text alert.

Now I unlock phone, exit convo or go to home screen. Lock phone again. Now I hear text alerts from that same convo.

wtf?
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 PM   #24
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
ok my problem is similar, but it's not DND.

I am in a convo in iMessage. Lock the phone with convo still on the screen. Convo still occurring, with my friend or friends replying and stuff. But I don't hear a single text alert.

Now I unlock phone, exit convo or go to home screen. Lock phone again. Now I hear text alerts from that same convo.

wtf?
There are some other threads about this particular issue. Essentially if you are still on the conversation then alerts for it won't be showing up--you have to at least exit the conversation if not the whole messages app to hear/see alerts related to conversations.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:23 PM   #25
gariepy13
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. The alert wouldn't come through on time or at all unless I unlocked the phone. My DND was off and the notifications for iMessages was on with "view in lock screen" on. I solved it by going to notifications, click "Sort apps: Manually" then move iMessages to the top. This makes it the most prioritized alert. This solved the problem for me, hope it works for you guys too.
gariepy13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone