Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Phone isn't on vibrate. In notifications settings messages are set to view in lock screen, show preview, tone is set to default. When a text or iMessage comes in the screen doesn't wake up nor does the text tone go off.

If I'm using the phone I see the banner and hear the alert. But if phone is locked I have no idea a message comes in unless I turn the screen on and see the alert.

What am I missing?

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
I'm having the same problem. Was working fine, but now there are no text sounds at all. But if I'm in the text window I get a sound when I sen a message.

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Shut down all my apps and reboot. Sounds are back. I'm guessing another app was taking precedence.

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
Sounds to me like you have Do Not Disturb Mode enabled. It will not alert you to text messages while phone is locked.

Disable it through settings.

DCHoya

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same problem here. My phone has the vibrate function turned off and it's on silent, so unless I check the lock screen regularly, I have no idea if I'm getting texts or not.

I've also found that a number of my iMessages have been delayed, which makes the problem even more troublesome.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Sounds to me like you have Do Not Disturb Mode enabled. It will not alert you to text messages while phone is locked.

Ok, it was DND mode, but I don't know why it was doing this. I set it up as a scheduled DND from Midnight to 8am. Then in settings I enabled DND thinking I had to for the schedule to run. Maybe that was a mistake. However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

When I turned DND off, texts popped up again. But still don't know why a person who was set as a favorite didn't come through. She's set as a favorite in my phone contacts, is there somewhere else to set favorites for DND?

cypress822

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
same problem here...only a small partial percentage of my text messages are coming with alerts.

cypress822

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
this is driving me nuts...cant believe more people are not having this problem...not much at all on internet about it

Codepiink

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Westchester County, NY
Ok, it was DND mode, but I don't know why it was doing this. I set it up as a scheduled DND from Midnight to 8am. Then in settings I enabled DND thinking I had to for the schedule to run. Maybe that was a mistake. However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

When I turned DND off, texts popped up again. But still don't know why a person who was set as a favorite didn't come through. She's set as a favorite in my phone contacts, is there somewhere else to set favorites for DND?

The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was in my hand.

Last edited:

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was on my hand.

I was initially confused by what seemed like a redundant set of controls for DND mode, but it does make sense. The top-level DND button under Settings is a quick-access control. The DND settings in Settings>>Privacy is for scheduling which I imagine is something you wouldn't need frequent access to under typical use.

cbr09123

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Under notifications, also check to see if it is set to show on lockscreen. That'll make it so it wakes the screen.

Also, I'm having a small similar issue. When I get a notification (like email or sms), I here the notification (+vibration), but the actual notification wont shop up as a banner for like a split second later.

On my 4S with iOS5, they both sounded and showed the notification simultaneously. Small quirk, I am sure it's just a bug issue.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
The same thing was happening to me. I realized that of you have a scheduled DND, DO NOT flip the setting to "on" in the general settings. Turning this on will immediately turn on DND and you will not get notifications. Whatever time you schedule DND, it will turn on by itself during those hours. I found this out the hard way when I turned this setting on and I missed an important phone call while the phone was in my hand.

Yeah, that's it. Also realized that in dnd, only calls from favorites will come through. Messages will not. Wish they did though.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
... However, it still should have let the texts come through b/c I was missing texts from my gf who is setup as a favorite. I allowed favorites to come through in DND.

That only applies to calls, not text messages.

klrgoten

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I'm having similar problems with my iPhone 5. I'm not getting text notifications and my DND is not on. I've tried restoring my phone, powering off and on... no dice. It seems that the first few texts that come through give me a sound alert correctly, then they stop. I have then change the alert tone to something different and change it back to the one I want for them to start working again... very annoying

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Was having a similar issue, changed the text tone and it seemed to fix it, for now. We'll see if this continues to be a persistent issue.

EDIT: On the bright side, it was time to give it a change. I've been using the mockingjay call from The Hunger Games since last December or so. A good ol' TARDIS vworp vworp it is.

lilmisskrany

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012

Thank you! :) I never would have never thought to change that and didn't realize it affects alerts too!

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
ok my problem is similar, but it's not DND.

I am in a convo in iMessage. Lock the phone with convo still on the screen. Convo still occurring, with my friend or friends replying and stuff. But I don't hear a single text alert.

Now I unlock phone, exit convo or go to home screen. Lock phone again. Now I hear text alerts from that same convo.

wtf?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
ok my problem is similar, but it's not DND.

I am in a convo in iMessage. Lock the phone with convo still on the screen. Convo still occurring, with my friend or friends replying and stuff. But I don't hear a single text alert.

Now I unlock phone, exit convo or go to home screen. Lock phone again. Now I hear text alerts from that same convo.

wtf?
There are some other threads about this particular issue. Essentially if you are still on the conversation then alerts for it won't be showing up--you have to at least exit the conversation if not the whole messages app to hear/see alerts related to conversations.

gariepy13

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
I had the same problem. The alert wouldn't come through on time or at all unless I unlocked the phone. My DND was off and the notifications for iMessages was on with "view in lock screen" on. I solved it by going to notifications, click "Sort apps: Manually" then move iMessages to the top. This makes it the most prioritized alert. This solved the problem for me, hope it works for you guys too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.