Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KenIz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
My new iPhone 5 will not call *228. I wanted to update the PRL but when I try to call *228 I get this message "This number is not allowed". Whats this all about? This is on Verizon BTW.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Do not do *228 or try to update a PRL on a 4G phone or you will have problems :eek: No need to they auto update

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I tried that also and got the same error. I had to go into my account in verizonwireless.com ....choose "Upgrade phone", add in my IMEI code, pop out the sim and enter the # on that. Then reboot the phone (it was connected with iTunes open, not sure if that mattered). For some reason upgrading Verizon iPhones has never been easy for me, but I'm in the game.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It's all done automatically using the SIM card, welcome to the way things should have been like from the start with CDMA :).

Pull out the SIM, watch all service go away just like GSM ;)

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Let me clear up some untruths and some myths here.

PRL has NO IMPACT on your NATIVE network coverage. It only affects ROAMING capabilities.

People think, "They built a new tower by my house, so I need a new PRL so I can pick it up."

FALSE. PRLs are done by SID (System ID) and only affects
how your phone roams.

Now that Verizon is using LTE, SIM cards take the place of *228 and OTASP/PRL updating is obsolete.

LTE is the natural evolutionary path for WCDMA (UMTS, HSDPA, HSPA+), which evolved from GSM. All of those technologies have had dynamically updated roaming abilities. Users didn't even need to think about it.

The natural evolutionary path for CDMA 1xEV-DO would be EV-DV... but Qualcomm scrapped it because the world (including Verizon) chose LTE. Verizon wanted to be apart of the world standard. So, naturally... customers used to CDMA and it's practices are going to be confused about these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.