Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:56 AM   #26
MistaGavin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNdOm View Post
This happened to me to while I was having coffe this morning. I'm pretty sure it happened at the password screen when I was downloading one of those free Starbucks apps. Seems like it happens in the same place for most people.
Same exact issue; password screen. And I agree with you, seems too consistent to be a hardware issue.
MistaGavin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:59 AM   #27
pragmatous
macrumors 6502a

That doesn't mean there aren't any carrier updates or small patches. You never know until you check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeeless View Post
Its iphone 5 with ios6 there is no update.
pragmatous is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:46 AM   #28
Hpye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeeless View Post
Same to me. Is this software or hardware error? Seems like software..
HOPE it is software, because software is easy to fix it
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:49 AM   #29
MMMalex
macrumors newbie

Mine started flickering after I did a hard reboot? (held power and home button till apple logo reappeared). It went away after about two minutes.
MMMalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:01 PM   #30
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeekus View Post
Same thing happened to me twice. Once when i was setting up the iphone (right after booting) and next while downloading an app just like the others. But it happened just once. All of the other downloads were ok. And its just like a tv flickering. Dont know if i should panic yet. Hope it'll resolve on its own.
Same for me. Only happened once. I haven't restored or done anything else to phone yet, and thankfully it hasn't happened again.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:32 PM   #31
rmwebs
Banned

You'll probably find its software and is happening for everyone...for me it was such a tiny little line doing it that I almost missed it.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #32
mutantblack
macrumors regular

same happened to me as well when I was trying to download an app. Rebooted and went away. Hope I don't see it again.
mutantblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #33
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Relax, folks. This is a software issue. My iPad 2, recently upgraded to iOS 6 did it too.

It will be fixed in .1 I'm sure.
zorinlynx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:40 PM   #34
MrsSmartyPants
macrumors newbie

My husband's black 64g AT&T phone did the same thing in the App Store's password keyboard.

My white 64g AT&T phone has not had this issue.
MrsSmartyPants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:51 PM   #35
blargh1
macrumors newbie

Just happened to me while entering password in the App Store. Weird.
blargh1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:58 PM   #36
rmwebs
Banned

Looks like its specific to when the keyboard is in use then. Cant seem to get it to do it again now tho!
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:12 PM   #37
KimMelton661
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyway View Post
Does it look like this?
Mine did that earlier but it hasn't done it since.
KimMelton661 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:55 PM   #38
Cardsfan85
macrumors newbie

I thought mine seemed better today, but then it had another episode this afternoon. I was watching a long Youtube video over 4G. About 5 minutes into the video, the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video, and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was fuzzy. The horizontal line for me appears at the top of the screen, so when it shakes, nearly the entire screen shakes. I rebooted, but the screen continued to shake.

Some people have also talked about a much more limited version of the flicker that seems to only happen on the App Store login screen. I'd be interested to know whether that is just a much more limited version of the issue the original poster and I are experiencing or if that is a different issue altogether.

It looks like my phone needs to go back. I need to find out what my options are. The Apple Rep kept giving me warranty repair options, but I am not really interested in having my phone repaired. I want a new one.

Last edited by Cardsfan85; Sep 22, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Cardsfan85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:01 PM   #39
krisr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Relax, folks. This is a software issue. My iPad 2, recently upgraded to iOS 6 did it too.

It will be fixed in .1 I'm sure.
I hope this is the case...as I am having the same issues on my screen!
krisr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:35 PM   #40
~Phi
macrumors regular

Happens on mine too.
~Phi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:38 PM   #41
mohaa2
macrumors newbie

mine only happens o the app store password screen, from left to right in a staggered line until i keep typing then it goes away.
mohaa2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:29 PM   #42
dbyway
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimMelton661 View Post
Mine did that earlier but it hasn't done it since.
Yeah it's done it to me a couple of times. Scared the heck out of me.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:28 PM   #43
iphone5fever
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearziro View Post
yea i dont know what it is i thought it was possibly a software thing wiped and re-installed to no avail like i said i can deal with it since it isnt to bad but i hope they fix it soon

(coming from a former verizon user whos updates took 6 months hope att has some better turn-around times)
Considering the number of people are saying the exact same thing in this thread and also a person who said his ipad 2 did the same thing, I really think it's the software issue.

Just think about it guys, how is it possible that a hardware fault kicks in at the exact same event but goes away if you hit cancel and do it again? I mean, if it's a hardware thing, shouldn't it be like consistent throughout? At least that's my guess is. I hope I am right. I really wouldn't want to get involved in the hardware thing!
iphone5fever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:34 PM   #44
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502

Yes, got this earlier when downloading from the App Store, multicoloured flickering line about 2/3 way down the screen.

Will monitor, assuming its a software issue.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:27 PM   #45
Cardsfan85
macrumors newbie

For those of you that are having the problem, do your phones stop flickering after you power your phone on and off? Mine doesn't. However if I let it sit unused for a few minutes, it will go back to normal.

I haven't been able to replicate the problem with 100% success, but my issues seem to be triggered by heavy use. For example, I was doing web browsing and other light use for about 30 minutes this morning with no problem.

This afternoon, I used the phone for awhile and then watched a 15 minute video on Youtube. Near the end of the video, the screen started flickering just like the original poster's.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:00 PM   #46
nostylez
macrumors member

Happened to me while purchasing an app a line appears on the keyboard. I have a feeling it's a bug I hope it is as I only notice this happening in when entering your pw when purchasing an app.
nostylez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:33 PM   #47
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Happened to me once as we'll, on one if the first password enters. Haven't seen it since. Not worried. Obviously a software glitch or it wouldn't happen under the same circumstances for everyone.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:39 PM   #48
Cardsfan85
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostylez View Post
Happened to me while purchasing an app a line appears on the keyboard. I have a feeling it's a bug I hope it is as I only notice this happening in when entering your pw when purchasing an app.
That is not why I am sure if my problem is the same or not. My situation is not limited to the App Store app. In fact I have never noticed it there.

On two occasions, my display went into full blown cardiac arrest mode. Yesterday I was watching a highlight reel on the MLB At Bat app. All of a sudden the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was flickering. I powered off and on, but the problem continued. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped. I noticed flickering off and on throughout the day yesterday, but nothing as severe. The flicker would only last for a second or two.

Today my phone had been perfect until a I watched a long YouTube video. Then it did the same thing. The whole display started spazzing out again. I powered off and on to no avail. When it was booting up, even the white Apple logo was shaking. After a few minutes of non use, it stopped.

I have been trying to replicate the problem this evening but can't seem to. If it is a hardware issue, I would like to get the thing sent back. I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back though if it is a software issue.

Not sure what to do at this point.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:48 PM   #49
alan7467
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan85 View Post
I thought mine seemed better today, but then it had another episode this afternoon. I was watching a long Youtube video over 4G. About 5 minutes into the video, the whole screen started shaking. I stopped the video, and the display continued to shake. The entire home screen was fuzzy. The horizontal line for me appears at the top of the screen, so when it shakes, nearly the entire screen shakes. I rebooted, but the screen continued to shake.

Some people have also talked about a much more limited version of the flicker that seems to only happen on the App Store login screen. I'd be interested to know whether that is just a much more limited version of the issue the original poster and I are experiencing or if that is a different issue altogether.

It looks like my phone needs to go back. I need to find out what my options are. The Apple Rep kept giving me warranty repair options, but I am not really interested in having my phone repaired. I want a new one.
Same thing has been happening to me. Not just the app store. I even had this happen while in DFU mode.

There's folks getting replacement phones because they have scuffs on the metal band. I think this a bigger issue so I would push for a new phone. I've learned that there's an option to do an express replacement. They'll charge you $30 and put a hold on your account for the cost of the new phone, but you'll get a new phone delivered to you prior to you sending your current one back. I'm going to call apple tomorrow to try for that.
alan7467 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:09 PM   #50
Cardsfan85
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
Same thing has been happening to me. Not just the app store. I even had this happen while in DFU mode.

There's folks getting replacement phones because they have scuffs on the metal band. I think this a bigger issue so I would push for a new phone. I've learned that there's an option to do an express replacement. They'll charge you $30 and put a hold on your account for the cost of the new phone, but you'll get a new phone delivered to you prior to you sending your current one back. I'm going to call apple tomorrow to try for that.
How frequently is yours acting up? I noticed the flicker several times yesterday. Mine only had the one episode today (albeit a pretty severe one).

My theory had been that the flicker would appear in periods of heavy use. However, I tried to replicate the problem this evening and couldn't. I used the GPS, watched some videos, made a 30 minute phone call, watched some more videos, and visited some web pages. About two hours of continuous use and no flicker. That is why I am kind of on the fence about sending it back right away.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone