Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychbiker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I DO NOT like the new gestures and the ones they got rid of.

I was very quick with Snow Leopard and the trackpad. Tap once, hold down to highlight, copy, cmd K, cmd v and I was looking something up new in Google.

Now I have to 3 finger to highlight and its terrible, there's less control. Its not as fast and the trackpad on Macbooks dont have the surface area for three finger highlighting.

I MUCH preferred being able to tap with one finger, hold my single finger down to highlight. I now have to either use three fingers or actually click down on the trackpad which slows everything down.

Anyway to get that back?

Also, on Snow Leopard I used to be able to swipe right with 4 fingers and the apps running would show in the middle and I could select them. Now they have to be running in Full Screen to cycle through them. Who uses full screen apps? I don't need 1.5" of white space on both sides of my Google/webpage.

I might be confused with the difference between App Expose, Mission Control, and Application Window.

Application Window doesnt seem to useful at all. It just moves whatever it is I'm currently working on to the middle? Do I have this correct?

Anyway, I'm just a little frustrate with the new gestures on ML and the ones they tossed. Perfect example....If I wanted to highlight this sentence and "cut" it out on Snow Leopard I would simply one tap, keep my finger down, move while highlighting and delete. Now I have to use three fingers and hope I dont run off the trackpad or I have to start all over again. Who came up with this? We should be able to completely personalize the trackpad.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Not sure I understand...

I DO NOT like the new gestures and the ones they got rid of.

I was very quick with Snow Leopard and the trackpad. Tap once, hold down to highlight, copy, cmd K, cmd v and I was looking something up new in Google.

Now I have to 3 finger to highlight and its terrible, there's less control. Its not as fast and the trackpad on Macbooks dont have the surface area for three finger highlighting.

I MUCH preferred being able to tap with one finger, hold my single finger down to highlight. I now have to either use three fingers or actually click down on the trackpad which slows everything down.

Anyway to get that back?

Also, on Snow Leopard I used to be able to swipe right with 4 fingers and the apps running would show in the middle and I could select them. Now they have to be running in Full Screen to cycle through them. Who uses full screen apps? I don't need 1.5" of white space on both sides of my Google/webpage.

I might be confused with the difference between App Expose, Mission Control, and Application Window.

Application Window doesnt seem to useful at all. It just moves whatever it is I'm currently working on to the middle? Do I have this correct?

Anyway, I'm just a little frustrate with the new gestures on ML and the ones they tossed. Perfect example....If I wanted to highlight this sentence and "cut" it out on Snow Leopard I would simply one tap, keep my finger down, move while highlighting and delete. Now I have to use three fingers and hope I dont run off the trackpad or I have to start all over again. Who came up with this? We should be able to completely personalize the trackpad.

I use my right hand on the track pad. I push with my thumb in the bottom left corner of the track pad until it clicks. I swipe left (or down) with one finger until all of the text I want to select is highlighted. I let off with my thumb, and the text remains highlighted. I can then click with two fingers (or control click) and select what to do with the text. This sounds like what you are describing as not working, but works great on every mac I have in the house (two MBP's and a Mac Mini server). I think you have something misconfigured or something. I've done this in 10.5 through 10.8.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.