Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I dropped my iPhone 4S on tiling from about 4 feet. It landed on the top left metal frame near the headphone jack. It bent it in and the section sticks out from where the black section is above the silence switch. The screen and left side metal band has a very small gap where you can see the backlight coming though.

Is this something that will be covered out of warranty replacements? I'll pay the $150 or $200, but Apple's caveats weren't exactly clear. It's not catastrophic damage, but is is banged up despite being functional.

Thanks

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
My biggest concern is debris getting through the gap and it ending up being visible behind the glass. Cosmetically, the phone looks like she has a missing tooth up close.

thegardentool

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
My understanding is if the phone was purchased after AppleCare Plus was available then you are **** out of luck if it wasn't purchased at time of the phone purchase (or the 30 day grace period). If you got it before then they might still offer you a replacement for $200 like they did in the past. If it does have AppleCare Plus then it should be $50 for a new phone.

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I did not buy Apple Care. Is an out of warranty replacement contingent on having Apple Care? I did not see that on Apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.