Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:29 AM   #26
Fredvs79
macrumors newbie

AT&T White iPhone 5 - 64GB, preordered direct from Apple, shipped direct from China, it arrived with two small nicks in the chamfered edge of the phone and has the light leak near the on/off button, and experiences static lines when entering my password in the app store. If I were a perfectionist I'd be pretty upset, but this seems to be par for the course.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:18 AM   #27
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredvs79 View Post
AT&T White iPhone 5 - 64GB, preordered direct from Apple, shipped direct from China, it arrived with two small nicks in the chamfered edge of the phone and has the light leak near the on/off button, and experiences static lines when entering my password in the app store. If I were a perfectionist I'd be pretty upset, but this seems to be par for the course.
Jesus I've just noticed the light shows in the bit between the power button part and the glass. No issue on the screen yet but this is my replacement and I don't want to be a fussy git.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotno View Post
My phone has a streak of light leaking from in-between the glass panel and the structure; it is right under my lock button. Kinda makes the lock button look illuminated. Anyone else notice a problem like this?

This is the best photo I could get.
This is what mine looks like. Did anyone report this to the store. This was a replacement for me also.
SilentLoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:38 AM   #28
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502a

So yeah, the black has "scuff gate" and the white has "light leak gate" so it looks like we all lose
AppleFan91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:40 AM   #29
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My phone has a streak of light leaking from in-between the glass panel and the structure; it is right under my lock button. Kinda makes the lock button look illuminated. Anyone else notice a problem like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan91 View Post
So yeah, the black has "scuff gate" and the white has "light leak gate" so it looks like we all lose
I can live with it but I just hope dust doesn't get in :/
SilentLoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:48 AM   #30
macjoshua
macrumors regular

I have a black iPhone 5 with a small amount of light leak. Not sure if it's worth taking it in for, since I usually have a case on it and wouldn't notice it anyway.
macjoshua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #31
Jasonv2
macrumors newbie

Just noticed this on my White iP5 32GB. I'm going in tomorow to see about a replacement, but from what I gather this is fairly common. Just want a heads up do people actually have White models with-out this? lol It's only easily visible in the dark but I don't want to get to the store and look like a nutjob checking below the power button with a magnifying glass.
Jasonv2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:02 AM   #32
mirsar
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 light sleep button below

hello guys
how many of you have this problem?
i have iphone 5 white

a user had already posted
http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/24/iphone...-apple-defect/
mirsar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #33
mirsar
macrumors newbie

anyone have this defect?
mirsar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:28 AM   #34
dasx
macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ght=light+leak
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:21 PM   #35
kellte2
macrumors regular

Just received my Advanced Replacement phone to replace my LAST Advanced Replacement phone that had a power button defect (read: you had to use a table to engage the thing). Light leak on the new phone.

This has been fun!

EDIT: yea, it is going back.
kellte2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 PM   #36
bravo0123
macrumors newbie

Can't see it, why does it matter

I can't see it on my phone, maybe the room isn't dark enough? Then I am thinking to myself, why am I even bothering, who cares. These people need to get a better life then the one that have where they analyze their iphones in the dark.

Back to more important things.
bravo0123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:49 PM   #37
mainboard
macrumors newbie

the best way to test.

1. Completely dark room.
2. Maximum brightness.

Mine has some leak using this method. but i am definately not going to max out the brightness in a completely dark room, its actually blinding!
mainboard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 PM   #38
donster28
macrumors 6502a

As much as I want to re-iterate the slightly poor quality of the very latest iPhone (I've had multiple exchanges due to defects of different kinds), mine does not exhibit the light leak on maximum brightness, in a completely dark room.

If you ask me, I'd rather have this tolerable abnormality than a scratch, ding, nick, dust under the glass, dead or stuck pixel, yellow screen, wifi/cell signal loss or a defective battery out of the box.

Consider yourselves lucky if you only have this slight light leak. To me, it's not worth a return or exchange.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #39
vipJj123
macrumors member

Mine has no light leak. White Verizon 16gb bought 10/10/12.
vipJj123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:37 PM   #40
ToddH
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Your complaining about that? Seeing a tiny bit of light under a button, in total darkness? Really? Put a case on it and you won't see it!
ToddH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:13 AM   #41
xclusiveiphone
macrumors newbie

The light leak is due to a design flaw in the LCD back plate. The bottom bends down to conceal the LCD back light while the top is flat and leaves light exposed. With all the engineers at Apple, you wonder how they let this slip by. Could have easily been prevented if they actually used their heads.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Your complaining about that? Seeing a tiny bit of light under a button, in total darkness? Really? Put a case on it and you won't see it!
Some snap on cases do not cover the top.
xclusiveiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #42
Leotno
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
BGR picked up on your post, as well as having an issue with theirs, here's an excerpt:

"The light leak and loosening chamfer on BGR’s defective iPhone 5 was a 64GB white and silver model running on AT&T. The light leak is unnoticeable except when the iPhone 5 is used under low-light or completely dark situations.

Various members on the MacRumors forums have reported the same problem, with some receiving brand new (not refurbished) models as replacements from Apple Stores. One member who goes by the handle “vineetnangia” said the replacement Apple provided still had the same issue."

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/24/iphone...-apple-defect/
Im so popular.

I have yet to take in my phone for a replacement. Id rather have a random light streak than blemishes. Although the lock button is starting to malfunction, it may be time to get that replacement.
Leotno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 PM   #43
kellte2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Im so popular.

I have yet to take in my phone for a replacement. Id rather have a random light streak than blemishes. Although the lock button is starting to malfunction, it may be time to get that replacement.
Your next iPhone will have it, too. My power button broke and it landed me with two straight minor light leak devices. I've accepted it and moved on with my life.
kellte2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:40 PM   #44
Roofy.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade12 View Post
Apple needs to start building their stuff in the USA.
This is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Good job.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #45
Shade12
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofy. View Post
This is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Good job.
douchbag or ignorant yeH YOU
Shade12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:38 PM   #46
MDCDM
macrumors newbie

I just picked up a white iphone 5 today, and I noticed that it only displays the light leak when I use the led flash. It's not that big of a deal to me seeing as how it's only noticeable for the duration of the actual flash. I returned a black iphone 5 due to numerous deep scuffs and scratches that were present when I unboxed it, so this issue seems to be the lesser of the two evils.
MDCDM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:58 AM   #47
rnbgrilla
macrumors member

Quote:

mine have the same light leak, FML it bothers me a lot now, that i see it.
im going to change it in. asap

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone