Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:44 AM   #1
superjew1492
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Los Angeles LTE Speeds

AT&T: i'm rocking an awful 7.5mbps down / 2.5 up at 1am when i normally/just got 3.5mbps down / 3mpbs up on my '4g' 4s. not too happy. how are the rest of you doing?

Last edited by superjew1492; Sep 22, 2012 at 03:32 AM.
superjew1492 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Depends where you live. In Pasadena the signal can get bad so I get around 5-16 mb/s. Other areas I get around 24 mb/s
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3
bpeeps
macrumors 6502a
 
bpeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
2.83 up 2.47 down, ATT, Hollywood

Half the time it switches over to the fake 4G. LOL
bpeeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:28 AM   #4
beinhorn
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Woodland Hills,CA
if your phone doesnt say LTE next to it then your are just receiving hspa+ which is really 3.5G.
__________________
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Penryn 4GB RAM; 32GB iPhone4; 6 Gen iPod 160gb; Performa 400 circa 1992.
beinhorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:29 AM   #5
SAMtheGAM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I got 8.81 mbps down and 6.85 mbps up in Monterey Park, CA
SAMtheGAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:31 AM   #6
superjew1492
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
i should specify, santa monica (AT&T / 3 bars) dipping to 6mbps / 1.4 at the high traffic local time of 1:30am...and am on LTE, not hspa+

Last edited by superjew1492; Sep 22, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
superjew1492 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Pasadena I go from 5mb to 16.

Monterey Park I get 24 mb.

So overall I'm getting wifi speed or better.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
SAMtheGAM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
Pasadena I go from 5mb to 16.

Monterey Park I get 24 mb.

So overall I'm getting wifi speed or better.
Where in Monterey Park, CA have you gotten those speeds? I have only used LTE at Atlantic Square in Monterey Park.

Was the 24 mbps on Verizon or AT&T?

Any LTE in San Marino, CA?
SAMtheGAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9
MCRunning
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Got this on Verizon in the Westwood area


MCRunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:12 PM   #10
crewpride
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California
Best I've pulled so far was in Pasadena near my house and it was 10.03 down, 9.38 up around 7pm last night. Drove through the SFV today was it was just on 4G.
crewpride is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
pbrooks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjew1492 View Post
i should specify, santa monica (AT&T / 3 bars) dipping to 6mbps / 1.4 at the high traffic local time of 1:30am...and am on LTE, not hspa+
I thought AT&T simply didn't work in Santa Monica. My brother works there and when he hits Cloverfield off the 10, he has always had to switch his iP4 to airplane mode so it wouldn't search for the next 9 hours.
__________________
27" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Mac user since 1985
pbrooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:14 PM   #12
el3ctone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
i'm getting about 7/7 on ATT LTE here in South San Gabriel, CA
el3ctone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:22 PM   #13
al821
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I got 40 down 17 up AT&T lte sfbay
al821 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I'm on verizon. And I'm at that McDonald's near Atlantic square right now and just got this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348334739.876192.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	361154

The 24 mb/s is on Garfield and riggin.

Pretty sure I get lte in San Marino but haven't gone by yet with my new iPhone.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:33 PM   #15
wake6830
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
3.6 down, 0.23 up on AT&T at my house near Pico & Fairfax.

I get somewhat better speeds at spots along my ride to/from work in Downtown LA on the Expo line, but I also get some pretty long stretches where my cell signal drops to zero entirely.

Same thing with my iPad 3.

Pretty disappointing but I'm hoping they'll expand soon.

I'm about to go watch the USC game at the Coliseum, where my phone will undoubtedly show a full signal but I won't be able to send/receive any calls or text or use any data. It's been that way for several years now and never improves.
wake6830 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #16
taedouni
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Well AT&T only has 10MHz of spectrum compared to Verizon's 22MHz. That's 5X5 vs 10X10.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 PM   #17
physicsguy13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Huntiingon Beach, CA
It seems like the more congested areas are experiencing slower than expected speeds. Based upon past posts about AT&T's network I don't think this is all that surprising. I am glad I switched to Verizon.
physicsguy13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 PM   #18
crewpride
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake6830 View Post
3.6 down, 0.23 up on AT&T at my house near Pico & Fairfax.

I get somewhat better speeds at spots along my ride to/from work in Downtown LA on the Expo line, but I also get some pretty long stretches where my cell signal drops to zero entirely.

Same thing with my iPad 3.

Pretty disappointing but I'm hoping they'll expand soon.

I'm about to go watch the USC game at the Coliseum, where my phone will undoubtedly show a full signal but I won't be able to send/receive any calls or text or use any data. It's been that way for several years now and never improves.

The coli is the worst for At&T! Man, I was really hoping they'd gotten that improved, especially since USC has a gameday app that is pretty damn hard to use when AT&T internet is practically non-functional there.
crewpride is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:40 PM   #19
SAMtheGAM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
I'm on verizon. And I'm at that McDonald's near Atlantic square right now and just got this. Attachment 361154

The 24 mb/s is on Garfield and riggin.

Pretty sure I get lte in San Marino but haven't gone by yet with my new iPhone.
Awesome speeds!!! No wonder you are getting high speeds you are on VZW. VZW LTE does not work in my home near the Monterey Park Hospital. AT&T LTE does with just 1 bar. The speeds are comparable to their HSDPA+ network since the cell site that serves this area is on Edge.
SAMtheGAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:43 PM   #20
TheNinjaJedi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
20.93 d / 9.79u
Rogers in Canada
TheNinjaJedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:44 PM   #21
physicsguy13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Huntiingon Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMtheGAM View Post
Awesome speeds!!! No wonder you are getting high speeds you are on VZW. VZW LTE does not work in my home near the Monterey Park Hospital. AT&T LTE does with just 1 bar. The speeds are comparable to their HSDPA+ network since the cell site that serves this area is on Edge.
You would think in SoCal that both providers would have a strong LTE network everywhere but it just isn't the case. Some areas have great AT&T and Verizon sucks, others Verizon is great and AT&T sucks, and then there are places where they both suck.
physicsguy13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:11 PM   #22
superjew1492
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrooks View Post
I thought AT&T simply didn't work in Santa Monica. My brother works there and when he hits Cloverfield off the 10, he has always had to switch his iP4 to airplane mode so it wouldn't search for the next 9 hours.
Ha! that is literally where i live...i'll be roaming around today and testing it more, but the westwood speedtest is confirming my reasoning to return, pay the fees and higher rates, and switch to vzw.
superjew1492 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:23 PM   #23
mpossoff
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjew1492 View Post
i should specify, santa monica (AT&T / 3 bars) dipping to 6mbps / 1.4 at the high traffic local time of 1:30am...and am on LTE, not hspa+
6 down isn't bad speeds.
mpossoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:41 PM   #24
pocky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Gabriel Valley & Orange County
I live near Alhambra high and I rarely get LTE. Sometime I see it then it goes to 3G. If I go anywhere else LTE pops back up. I have Verizon. I also want to note, when I go 3G the phone has a hard time getting back on LTE unless I put it in airplane mode and out.
pocky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:47 PM   #25
TypeMRT
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewpride View Post
The coli is the worst for At&T! Man, I was really hoping they'd gotten that improved, especially since USC has a gameday app that is pretty damn hard to use when AT&T internet is practically non-functional there.
I'm going to the game too. Can't wait to hear if LTE is any better than "4G". It's so frustrating to see full signal but almost no data actually being sent. My 4S battery drains almost completely in just a couple of hours of constantly trying to connect.
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone 5S Los Angeles theonesaint iPhone 9 Sep 18, 2013 10:59 AM
AT&T in Los Angeles.. Outage or just me? eddiexhart iPhone 0 Oct 22, 2012 07:59 PM
no LTE indicator in los angeles beinhorn iPhone 33 Oct 1, 2012 05:09 AM
Verizon LTE not working in Los Angeles/Orange County NovemberWhiskey iPhone 0 Sep 25, 2012 05:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC