Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thrones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Just wanted to share my fun little adventure when I got my 5 today. I used another lines Upgrade on my plan for the phone. I'm using Verizon Wireless and when I received it I tried to activate it on the line without turning the phone on, but the SIM card got locked to the wrong number anyways. Well, I headed out to my closest VZW Corp store and he said they got 6 extra SIM's, all sold out.

I then partake on a journey visiting three more close stores in quick succession, all who didn't have them. Called all stores within a 50 mile radius, no dice. One employee in a store tried telling me the iPhone 5 has a built in SIM that's un removable, so I pulled it out of my pocket and popped the card out for him. He didn't even mention what just happened, and said nah we don't have any of those.

Finally at a last ditch effort with Customer Care, Overnight-ting the card for a Sat delivery would be $30. She then noticed a Note on the site that mentioned Apple having the cards, and the delay for the carriers having them was Apple not sending them out.

Finally I call my closest Apple Store, confirm they have them, and then arrive at 15 minutes prior to closing. I then activate my SIM card and phone on Verizon Wireless web site using the 27 inch iMac demo LOL.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone had trouble finding a replacement SIM as well.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Basically the same thing happened to me. I had to return to the Verizon store to get it activated. They had just received a few nano-sims.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's even worse here in the UK. I had to send two formal complaints about the Nano-Sim and the C*** information given out by O2's CS reps.

I was finally sent one..(same day as my 5 came) and then they actually telephoned me to activate it...Usually takes 24 hours so they say, but magically my sim worked right away...Seems that most carriers had no damn idea what a Nano-sim was or how to deal with it.

My O2 page say's I'm using an Apple 45126 :D They do have the IMEI info correct though. The other amusing thing is that the numbers required to activate the sim are tiny....I had to take a high res macro shot to read them. The information on the credit card mount actually tells you to do this...Fine, but what if you don;t own a decent camera?

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
The Apple Store was just giving them out for free to anyone who asked here.

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I thought I was the only one! This happened to me exactly. Took me 4 hours of calling / driving / talking to people in store to finally get it activated. When I finally went back to the Verizon store they looked at my nano SIM card like it was gold, immediately asking where I even found one. At least my phone is working and on the right line now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.