Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonetravel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
EU
Upgraded yesterday to the iPhone 5 and so far whilst it seems a nice little phone, I have noticed the following issues:

- When setting up the phone and it having to download via wifi and 3G all the apps etc, noticed it was getting very hot. Probably the hottest I have ever felt a phone get.

- Last night I left the phone under the pillow (but plugged in) with alarm on and yet again the phone was extremely hot which is quite unlike the 4S I upgraded from.

Anyone else experiencing the same issues?

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Yeah it will do that when downloading a lot of apps but as for having it plugged in and still getting hot I wouldn't know.

Maybe it will stop after awhile. Give it a day or two and see if it continues to get hot every time you plug it in.

iphonetravel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
EU
Good news. Went to apple store and reported issues. They issued a new phone to me on the spot. New phone does not suffer from the overheating nor battery draining issues. Much happier.

HanSol00

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
- Last night I left the phone under the pillow (but plugged in) with alarm on

you sleep with your phone under your head? wow, that's crazy, you do realize there is a large amount of radiation that comes from cell phones.

Recent studies have been quite scary, as they have young people with cancers forming at the very spot that they have their cell phones - ie - right side of the head, for someone who uses that exclusively etc... not to mention lower fertility if you place your phone in your pants for long hours...

You might say we don't have 100% proof, and I agree but I would suggest that looking at the huge increase in cancer rates these days compared to 100 years ago and something is working to harm us, why increase that risk when it's easy to avoid exposure with small changes - and fyi both my mother and girlfriend passed from cancer, and my girl was 32 years old... that's not normal... cancer rates are now about 50% of the population and rising, do you want to increase your odds?

I always take my phone out and place it on my desk, away from my body in addition to having a corded headset (which is far cheaper, safe and better sound that those stupid blue tooth ones which never really work that well)

I know you use it as an alarm, but I would suggest placing it at the far end of the room to get as far away from the radiation, plus it prevents you from hitting the snooze button :D

HanSol00

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
btw: in case someone doubts what I'm saying regarding the huge health risks with even modest cell phone exposure here's just a few reports... while there is no 100% link (there wasn't either in smoking for decades LOL), I would suggest the evidence is certainly something to WORRY about and at least take some small precautions - i'm not advocating getting rid of phones LOL just smarter use of them:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2004-12-21-mobilerads_x.htm

Mobile phone radiation harms DNA, new study finds

MUNICH/AMSTERDAM (Reuters) — Radio waves from mobile phones harm body cells and damage DNA in laboratory conditions, according to a new study majority-funded by the European Union, researchers said on Monday.

The research project, which took four years and which was coordinated by the German research group Verum, studied the effect of radiation on human and animal cells in a laboratory.

After being exposed to electromagnetic fields that are typical for mobile phones, the cells showed a significant increase in single and double-strand DNA breaks. The damage could not always be repaired by the cell. DNA carries the genetic material of an organism and its different cells.

"There was remaining damage for future generation of cells," said project leader Franz Adlkofer.

This means the change had procreated. Mutated cells are seen as a possible cause of cancer.

http://www.health24.com/news/Enviro_Health_/1-1308,44705.asp

Salivary Gland Cancer

The results of the study
People who used cell phones for many hours a day were 50 percent more likely to develop a tumour of the parotid gland than infrequent users, they reported.

The parotid gland - the largest salivary gland - is located near the jaw and ear, where cell phones are typically held during use. The findings appear in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...radiation-affects-cells-in-living-humans.html

Cellphone radiation affects cells in living humans

RADIATION from cellphones is too weak to heat biological tissue or break chemical bonds in cells, but the radio waves they emit may still affect cell behaviour.

"Our study suggests that it is possible that mobile phone radiation alters the expression of some proteins in living humans," says Dariusz Leszczynski at the Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, in Helsinki.

Leszczynski exposed 10 female volunteers to radiation at 900 megahertz from GSM phones to simulate an hour-long phone call. He screened 580 different proteins in their skin cells and found that the numbers of two proteins were altered in all of the volunteers: one protein increased by 89 per cent, the other decreased by 32 per cent

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241519/pdf/ehp0111-000881.pdf

Nerve Cell Damage in Mammalian Brain after Exposure to Microwaves from
GSM Mobile Phones

The possible risks of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields for the human body is a growing concern
for our society.

We have previously shown that weak pulsed microwaves give rise to a significant
leakage of albumin through the blood–brain barrier.

In this study we investigated whether a pathologic leakage across the blood–brain barrier might be combined with damage to the neurons.

Three groups each of eight rats were exposed for 2 hr to Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) mobile phone electromagnetic fields of different strengths.

We found highly significant (p < 0.002) evidence for neuronal damage in the cortex, hippocampus, and basal ganglia in the brains of exposed rats.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2959

The safety of cellphones has been brought into question once again by research that suggests radio waves from the devices could promote the growth of tumours.

The team exposed leukaemia cells in the lab to 900-megahertz radio waves at a power level of 1 milliwatt, and then looked at the activity of a gene that triggers cell suicide. Many European mobile networks operate at 900 megahertz...

But after 48 hours exposure, the apparently lethal effect of the radiation went into reverse. Rather than more cells dying, Marinelli found that a survival mechanism kicked in. Three genes that trigger cells to multiply were turned on in a high proportion of the surviving cells, making them replicate ferociously. The cancer, although briefly beaten back, had become more aggressive.

iphonetravel

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
EU
Before you start quoting lots of studies at me, I turn the radio transmitters off at night. I have zero interest being woken by calls text messages or other alerts let alone anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.