Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I can't tell if my iPhone 5 is dying faster than it should or if I am just using it far more. I am sort of thinking the former, but I'd like to see how others are faring.

It's odd, some periods it drains fast and than others it drains slow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,606

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
It a new phone, your probably using it non stop and doing some pretty intensive stuff. Wait about a week and see how if it improves a bit.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Right, but I'd still like to assure myself that this is normal battery life.

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry I can't post a screen because I forgot to take one last night before I plugged it in... It was something of around ~7 hours usage, 13.5 hours standby or something. That's from 100% to 0. I think it was pretty decent. I'm expecting better today though.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Sorry I can't post a screen because I forgot to take one last night before I plugged it in... It was something of around ~7 hours usage, 13.5 hours standby or something. That's from 100% to 0. I think it was pretty decent. I'm expecting better today though.

That's quite better.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
With LTE 4G is a new beast to deal with...Driod users have been dealing with this problem for long time...PHone will search more often for this signal thus draining the battery quicker

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Can you force it to stay on 3G? Sucks but my city has flaky 4g as of now. I think the city I work in has excellent 4g though.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Can you force it to stay on 3G? Sucks but my city has flaky 4g as of now. I think the city I work in has excellent 4g though.

There's a disable LTE option in the cellular menu.

I also noticed my battery draining quickly yesterday...went from 90% out of the box at 2:30pm to shutting off at 9 pm. I charged it uninterrupted overnight, so we'll see how it does today.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I'm getting great life with both of mine. I don't know if you did a clean install but backing up from your old phone can and will cause this. So try doing a reset and see if that helps and start fresh. I think it should fix your problem.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah that's like twice as good as mine right now. Mine is at 68% but the usage is only 1 hr 25 min...

I might take this to the Apple store if this doesn't improve, because this isn't going to last me a day at college. I also seem to be guzzling data, 200 mb after 1 day, and I really haven't done much browsing at all...

Something's not right here.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
My battery seems to be draining a bit quickly today. But it's a brand new phone and takes a while to get to full battery performance so I'm not worried.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Try turning on wifi and test your battery then. I'm having issues with cellular. It gets hot and battery goes down. Doesn't happen when I'm on wifi.

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012

Oh I forgot to mention: I was on a mix of Verizon LTE & campus Wifi. I think mostly LTE because I was "O_O-ing" at the speeds and being happy of my unlimited. And you know... lack of good signal deep inside college buildings.

----------

Try turning on wifi and test your battery then. I'm having issues with cellular. It gets hot and battery goes down. Doesn't happen when I'm on wifi.

Really? Not happening for me. THis is definitely the coolest phone, in terms of temperature, I've had. Even when playing games it doesn't get what I would call hot... maybe warm, but usually not even enough to cause my hands to sweat.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
If some of us are having these issues and others aren't it's probably software. Something happening to make the processor loop.

Try resetting all settings in the system prefs.

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
If some of us are having these issues and others aren't it's probably software. Something happening to make the processor loop.

Or those who have battery drainage because they restore everything from backup?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011

I'm sure it must be software. Good idea, I just reset all the settings. If this doesn't fix it I'm gonna need to take it in, because ill be tethered to the wall with this thing.

I set it up as a new phone and did a full charge cycle. LTE is off, Bluetooth is off, etc. something just seems wrong. I'm at 55% with 1 hr 50 mins of usage.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
The trick is to run down your battery 100% before charging it and only charge the battery when it has powered down from low battery.

If need be run a youtube video and kill the battery. Then charge it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.