Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteypab2133

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
now its a nano sim.

It works just fine. :D

I purchased my I5 at full cost for my agent line and they wouldnt let me activate it till further notice through verizon. I pulled my micro sim out of my S3 and lined it up. Cut it down and slid it into my I5. It worked perfectly.

The claims of it being too thick are not an issue either.

Not sure if others have done this yet, or questioned the process.

Last edited:

peteypab2133

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Awesome Just one question : what you use to cut it? :)

I lined them up on top of each other. Used a skinny piece of tape and wrapped it around it from both sides holding it completely still during the cutting. I then used just a NORMAL pair of scissors and carefully trimmed it out. I attempted it the day before with a serrated pair and it basically destroyed the one I was cutting. It was a trial one.

No tools, no template

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Does everything work? Can you do me a favor.. if you go to "Settings > Phone" does your number show up? I tried the EXACT same thing last night (S3 -> iPhone 5) but my number didn't show up and I couldn't send or receive text messages. I DID have LTE and calling capabilities, though. It was weird.

peteypab2133

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Does everything work? Can you do me a favor.. if you go to "Settings > Phone" does your number show up? I tried the EXACT same thing last night (S3 -> iPhone 5) but my number didn't show up and I couldn't send or receive text messages. I DID have LTE and calling capabilities, though. It was weird.

Yes,

If you click on the carrier tab, the word NAI comes up with your number with a VZW email on it. I know on older iphone models it showed it right in the settings, not sure if the iphone 5 does that because it cares more about the sim card than the ESN.

But I do have 100% functionality with it as well. Data, call, text (just retested it as well)

My micro sim was the WHITE one , which has the same exact foot print as the nano sim. The RED one (newer one) that VZW ships with phones has a little bit larger style footprint micro sim.

Its important I assume not to mess up the metal area. But then again, I do not know that it wont work without the full metal area.

peteypab2133

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011

Here is a picture I just took

Top is my trimmed one
Middle is new micro sim
Bottom is factory nano sim

See the size difference from my old micro sim to the new micro sim?

pe6yragu.jpg

czar44

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012

Fyi - Didn't cut my sim but had to manually input my number into my iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.